Band Aid - 20 Years On

simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today for the first time I heard the new Band Aid record...

My god it's truly AWFUL, not a patch on the original and wouldn't inspire me to go out on Monday and buy it. Rather just hand over my cash and tell them to keep the CD.

I feel that they have ruined what was a excellent record. I wonder how many others feel the same.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hear that some radio stations have banned it. I know its not that good but i wouldnt go that far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vividly remember the first one, plus the whole LiveAid day.

I think it's terrific. My only reservation being the "rap" bit, but even that's growing on me. I like it a lot, I even think it's better than the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was 13 wen they did live aid. if they do another next year for the 20th aniversay ill b 1st inline 4 tickets
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    The Live Aid DVD is on my christmas list :)

What a great day that was, it felt like the whole country was united, unfortunately I was not there but I was glued to the telly from beginning to end.

Does anyone know if the 'Led Zeppelin' line up is on the DVD???

I remember Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones with Phil Collins & some other geezer drumming playing all the old favs Stairway to Heaven, Whole lotta Love etc etc.
    No hard feelings Phil Collins but I remember it took 2 of you to replace the legend John Bonham.

Trouble is with having a Live Aid today pop stars are more at each others throats now & less likely to get on with their 'me first' attitudes. Look at the arguements over the line 'well tonight thank god it's them instead of you'. Sorry that's Bono's line & nobody else's in my opinion.

I agree with Tally pity about the rap crap on the new version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care about how good this record is. As long as the money goes to where it's suposed to then i shall buy it. This is about the only way joe public will actually give money to charity other than Children in need or Comic Relief. Plus this is aimed at the teenagers of today. The whole Justin from the darkness vs Bono thing is a load of rubbish. It's just a ploy to drive up the sales of the record. Cynical brain center working at 100% power.
    Oh and Led Zepplin are not on the live aid dvd. They refused to allow the footage to be used because it was a sub standard performance etc.
    Though they do have a lovely shiney dvd with a better performance on it out apprently. Some of the money made from that dvd will go charity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care about how good this record is. As long as the money goes to where it's suposed to then i shall buy it. This is about the only way joe public will actually give money to charity other than Children in need or Comic Relief. Plus this is aimed at the teenagers of today. The whole Justin from the darkness vs Bono thing is a load of rubbish. It's just a ploy to drive up the sales of the record. Cynical brain center working at 100% power.

Hear, hear. I don't hugely like it (but it's worth buying for the other two versions that come with Band Aid 20's version anyway), and will buy a copy in the hope that the money will do some good. And accordingly to Saint Bob they've learnt a lot of lessons in ensuring the money goes to the right people since the first Band Aid came out. Good luck to them, and I hope they raise loads of money!
  • DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    May they make lots of money and may it be well spent, but I don't understand why someont couldn't have written a new different song ?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, it sold 100,000 copies on Monday.
    The production sounds horrible, Robbie Williams spoils everything he goes near, that **** from The Darkness and as for the token rap...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    tally wrote:
    I vividly remember the first one, plus the whole LiveAid day.

I think it's terrific. My only reservation being the "rap" bit, but even that's growing on me. I like it a lot, I even think it's better than the original.

I do like it, but I wouldn't say it was better than the original. But then that is not the intention. The point is to bring the song to a whole new generation. It's not amazing, but i do like it. I don't like the rap bit, that spoils it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    The new version is absolutely pants. The saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" springs to mind. A lot of the artists on the original recording are still megastars. Will bands like Busted still be around in 20yrs time? I think not.

Perhaps its just my age....
  • sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care about how good this record is. As long as the money goes to where it's suposed to then i shall buy it.

This sentiment has been echoed by many.

While I agree with it, strangely it was not a sentiment which was widely attributed to Cliff Richard's "Millennium Prayer" which raised money for children's charities. Maybe it's ok for the record to be deemed to be crap if the artists are deemed to be "cool".

S.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laney66 wrote:
    The new version is absolutely pants. The saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" springs to mind. A lot of the artists on the original recording are still megastars. Will bands like Busted still be around in 20yrs time? I think not.

i don't know - perhaps in 20 years time Busted will be reforming to do nostalgia fest noughties re-union tours....

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    laney66 wrote:

I think its OK. Not as good as the original, but how could it be?!
    I know the original contained some superstars, but it also had bananarama, heaven 17, culture club, robert bell - you don't hear much of them nowadays do you? Busted don't exactly get to sing much on Band Aid 20, and while they may not be around in 20 years, I see no reason to believe that Coldplay, Travis, Robbie Williams, Will Young and Joss Stone shouldn't be around for some time to come.