Options

MTV Dance replaced by MTV Party?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
Forum Member
As of next Thursday, the Sky EPG lists programmes on MTV Dance such as "Pyjama Party", "MTV Office Party", "Interactive Party Top 10" and "Classic Party Years".

Could this be the end for MTV Dance? To be honest, although it was once my favourite music channel, I wouldn't be sorry to see it go as apart from a few hours overnight the channel has no appeal to dance fans - todays Britney day being the latest example.

MTV Party would be a much better name as the channel tends to focus on upbeat pop/r'n'b rather than dance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably just themed stuff for the Christmas run-up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris E wrote:

MTV Party would be a much better name as the channel tends to focus on upbeat pop/r'n'b rather than dance.

Only during the day. Come the evening it's really banging.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've rebadged it you fool!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D Sizzle wrote:
    They've rebadged it you fool!

Sorry for the appalling use of the wrong word in my post. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone got any more info on this? I noticed most MTV Dance programmes are missing on the new listings except Weekender and Dancefloor Chart. The programme data has been updated too and contains no reference to dance music, just 'party' music.

And also, The daytime playlist seems to have reverted back to the old two or three dance tracks an hour system - they no longer seem to play Tiesto, Prodigy etc which had been making appearances during the day until recently.

I read a few weeks ago that MTV Dance has been removed from cable systems in Europe, so perhaps it's the end...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen any info about this, but it does seem that from Thursday, MTV Dance will be re-named MTV Party.

And I don't think it is themed stuff either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris E wrote:

Surely "dance music" means any music that you can dance to?

As a lot of pop/r&b/etc. falls in this category then surely it's fair game for MTV Dance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's one of the arguments that often comes up in these threads.

My personal opinion though, is if you asked someone in the street what dance music was they'd probably say house/trance or (sadly) refer to the latest clubland album.

Infact, at first MTV Dance never played r'n'b/pop and focused on house, trance and old skool.

From my experience, those who like urban music tend to despise dance music (and vice versa - see some of the Galaxy/Vibe FM related threads in the radio forum).

If MTV Dance was meant to be playing music you can dance to rather than 'dance music' then surely rock, country, and even ballads should be on their playlist? You can dance to them all...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of bollo*ks. Dance isn't dead.

What genre was the track that spent most weeks at number 1 this year?

What genre in the complelation top 20 is the biggest seller?

Which (according to attendance figures in the London Evening Standard) is more popular in clubs - Dance or Urban?

7,000 clubbers attended Alexender Palace this weekend for a Hard Dance event.

The summer dance festivals attract between 30,000-50,000. Depending on the venue.

According to Customs, Ecstasy use is at an all time high. Who takes that apart from clubbers?

Heat @ The Brixton Academy (another hard dance night) sells out it's 4000 capacity weeks in advance.

I don't know anyone over the age of 17 who likes Urban.
    It's for kids.
  • Options
    VXVXUK444VXVXUK444 Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Chris E wrote:
    That's one of the arguments that often comes up in these threads.

My personal opinion though, is if you asked someone in the street what dance music was they'd probably say house/trance or (sadly) refer to the latest clubland album.

Infact, at first MTV Dance never played r'n'b/pop and focused on house, trance and old skool.

From my experience, those who like urban music tend to despise dance music (and vice versa - see some of the Galaxy/Vibe FM related threads in the radio forum).

Hi! I would have to agree with you there Chris E - when i had sky the only reasons i kept it was for all those classic dance- trance cuts back in the year of 2000-2002! then it sort of went all poppy at the end of 2002 :cry: then thought what a waste (FOR ME THAT IS!!) of a good DANCE channel.
    All those true dance-trance fans like me will be able to remember those tunes such as 'PLUMMET' '4 STRINGS' 'RANK 1' 'LANGE' and all that they played back then...ohh well looks like im not missing anything these days on there then. :) HAPPY POP! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What genre was the track that spent most weeks at number 1 this year?

It was that Eamon bilge wasn't it? An R&B track?
    What genre in the complelation top 20 is the biggest seller?

Looks like pop - the top selling compilations at the moment are "Now...59" and "Pop Party 2".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was that Eamon bilge wasn't it? An R&B track?

Looks like pop - the top selling compilations at the moment are "Now...59" and "Pop Party 2".

No. Eric Prydz spent six weeks at number 1.

And the compilations chart as a whole rather than specific positions.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, was going to say that, and look how big Floorfillers and Clubland CD's are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, it was only 5 because Robbie interrupted him for a week, otherwise fair enough.

I was right about the bilge bit though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2 of the top 10 compilations are what would be called "dance" collections.

Alongside 2 pop collections, 2 soundtrack, 2 Christmas and 1 each classical and rock.

11-20 features 2 dance collections, 3 pop, 3 R&B/soul, 1 rock and 1 sixties.

Hardly a domination by any genre TBH, other than as I said, pop albums occupy both of the top two positions.

Therefore, to answer the original question as to what the best selling genre in the top 20 compilations is, I would say without hesitation pop.
    Yes, was going to say that, and look how big Floorfillers and Clubland CD's are.

"Clubland" has certainly become the "dance" equivalent of the "Now..." albums.

But let's not forget that "Clubland 6" failed to dethrone "Pop Party 2" from the number one spot.

NB, this is not expressing any antagonism towards the dance genre on my part, just trying to present the facts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris E wrote:
    Sorry for the appalling use of the wrong word in my post. ;)

It's not that, I just can't resist an Alan Partridge quote.
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't R-Musik coming back soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 of the top 10 compilations are what would be called "dance" collections.

Alongside 2 pop collections, 2 soundtrack, 2 Christmas and 1 each classical and rock.

11-20 features 2 dance collections, 3 pop, 3 R&B/soul, 1 rock and 1 sixties.

Hardly a domination by any genre TBH, other than as I said, pop albums occupy both of the top two positions.

Therefore, to answer the original question as to what the best selling genre in the top 20 compilations is, I would say without hesitation pop.

"Clubland" has certainly become the "dance" equivalent of the "Now..." albums.

But let's not forget that "Clubland 6" failed to dethrone "Pop Party 2" from the number one spot.

NB, this is not expressing any antagonism towards the dance genre on my part, just trying to present the facts.

Well the general trend is that dance outsells all other generes according to the Evening Standard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dance outsells all other genres? You on crack?

Singles are bought by 12 year olds, cant believe people still count them now. You need to be looking at airplay and album charts.

Whats more popular in clubs? Probably dance yes, but this is definately declining. Liverpool, some would say was one of the main places in the UK for house music, well now there is something for everyone. They have urban clubs, and places that play a mix of everything. Times have certainly changed since dance was the most popular genre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote:
    Dance outsells all other genres? You on crack?

Singles are bought by 12 year olds, cant believe people still count them now. You need to be looking at airplay and album charts.

Whats more popular in clubs? Probably dance yes, but this is definately declining. Liverpool, some would say was one of the main places in the UK for house music, well now there is something for everyone. They have urban clubs, and places that play a mix of everything. Times have certainly changed since dance was the most popular genre!

I was talking about specificaly compilation charts. In which the Evening Standard said Dance was still the biggest seller?

Why do the airplay charts matter? Surely that's just a list of which record companies have bribed the radio stations playlist editors the most.

As for albums, you don't really get "dance albums"
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely "dance music" means any music that you can dance to?

Nah, just means it's sh*te.

MTV Dance is a complete waste of valuable bandwidth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Since when has there been a shortage of bandwidth on Astra and Eurobird?

Just because you personally don't like a channel doesn't mean its a waste of bandwidth - If it did, i'd nominate MTV2 for being a waste of the 'valuable' bandwidth.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Dance Music, and MTV dance don't play what i class as dance music.

Hard House/Trance is what they should be playing if they are called that. Tracks off Euphoria or Ministy of sound something like that. Instead u get stuff like Sugababes wich it me aint dance music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about specificaly compilation charts. In which the Evening Standard said Dance was still the biggest seller?

Why do the airplay charts matter? Surely that's just a list of which record companies have bribed the radio stations playlist editors the most.

As for albums, you don't really get "dance albums"

Well, 4 out of the top 20 compilations and none of the top 20 single-artist albums would fall into the "dance" genre. Hardly the dominant genre.

Pop has 5 compilation and 11 single artist albums in the same listings (more if you count Maroon 5 and Keane).

And bearing in mind that the three biggest selling compilations of the year are the three "Now..." albums, would suggest that the Evening Standard are much mistaken.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Which (according to attendance figures in the London Evening Standard) is more popular in clubs - Dance or Urban?

Are Clubs in London really that comparative to most of the UK, some towns in the UK don't have that much of a club scene and only have themed nights e.g. Friday Night at Liquid (what ever location) may be the only night when the DJ(s) will play dance music and no other genre.
    According to Customs, Ecstasy use is at an all time high. Who takes that apart from clubbers?

:eek: What you talking about Willis? :D

Now I'm into Trance and Hardhouse, but I also listen to UK Garage and Drum & Bass music - Plus on top of that I love Ska.