Beyonnce/L'oreal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
Forum Member
✭✭
I have issues (what else is new :D?) with Beyonnce's L'oreal advert, I have tried the hair colour and no, it doesn't work on African hair :mad: and I doubt that the hot straight thingy would work on afro-carribean hair either :confused: . My friends and I believe/argue that she doesn't even use her real hair in the adverts, she properbly has a weave/hair extensions on.
If that is the case (i.e the products don't work on Afro-carribean hair and that isn't her real hair), surely the advert can be withdrawn based on the fact that it is giving out false information.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think you are making some very valid points Cybergirl. Especially about Beyounce and her real hair ;) I think if L'oreal have used Beyounce as their mascot then it would be reasonable to expect the products to work on her hair. Maybe you should contact L'oreal with your complaint and see what they have to say for themselves. Though I am sure they will have some non commital statement to make.
  • Boutros B GhaliBoutros B Ghali Posts: 9,953
    Forum Member
    Can we call the damn woman "Barry" instead?

It's nice and easy to spell. :D

BBG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBG

:D

Ok from now I shall call her Barry the artist formly known as Beyounce .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBG

LOL! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think you are making some very valid points Cybergirl. Especially about Beyounce and her real hair ;) I think if L'oreal have used Beyounce as their mascot then it would be reasonable to expect the products to work on her hair. Maybe you should contact L'oreal with your complaint and see what they have to say for themselves. Though I am sure they will have some non commital statement to make.

I checked out their website and I got a number and plan to call, I just wanted to make sure that I was making sense. While I was on their site I noticed that Agbani Darego former most beautiful girl in Nigera and Miss world was one of their "celebrity endorsers", she was endorsing L'oreal Studio line but I am POSITIVE that the hair in the picture is not her real hair, being from the same country, we have similar hair types and having seen her real afro hair, I can't phantom why she is allowed to endorse a product she can't use with hair that isn't hers. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote:
    I checked out their website and I got a number and plan to call, I just wanted to make sure that I was making sense. While I was on their site I noticed that Agbani Darego former most beautiful girl in Nigera and Miss world was one of their "celebrity endorsers", she was endorsing L'oreal Studio line but I am POSITIVE that the hair in the picture is not her real hair, being from the same country, we have similar hair types and having seen her real afro hair, I can't phantom why she is allowed to endorse a product she can't use with hair that isn't hers. :confused:

Well I just hope that L'Oreal have the decency to give you a decent reply. Good Luck :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I called them now and the girl I spoke to wasn't too sure that the products endorsed be Barry would work affectively on african hair. She said the fiera colour booster won't lighten really dark hair (which is what I have been trying to do) and that the hot straight also endorsed by Barry would not straighten really curly hair. Basically, the advert is a big piss take.

I also asked about the products endorsed by Agbani Darego and she said it depends on which product from the studio line I choose, meaning not all of them will work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose at least they where honest. Just shows you Barry doesn't care about integrity but the cash. Mind you I am not surprised she wears fur which is out of order in my book.
  • Boutros B GhaliBoutros B Ghali Posts: 9,953
    Forum Member
    I just want to say thank you. :)

I never thought it would catch on ...

BBG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want to say thank you. :)

I never thought it would catch on ...

BBG

Barry makes it extremely easy. Beyonce is hard to spell, Barry has a nice ring to it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose at least they where honest. Just shows you Barry doesn't care about integrity but the cash. Mind you I am not surprised she wears fur which is out of order in my book.

That was one of the reasons why I wanted to know if it works on Afro-carribean hair, it seems celebrities would sell their soul to the devil for a few quid and don't get me started on the fur, it's in the papers everytime and she isn't even embrassed enough to stop. The worst part is when she goes all Christain and starts saying God won't let her do this and that like she once said "God won't let her kiss a woman for publicity".

Also, she is a bloody hypocrite, in the chorus of Destiny's Child's song "Nasty girl", she said; "Nasty put some clothes on...Don't walk out your house without your clothes on..." yet she is seen on the cover of her Album with nothing but diamonds. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote:
    That was one of the reasons why I wanted to know if it works on Afro-carribean hair, it seems celebrities would sell their soul to the devil for a few quid and don't get me started on the fur, it's in the papers everytime and she isn't even embrassed enough to stop. The worst part is when she goes all Christain and starts saying God won't let her do this and that like she once said "God won't let her kiss a woman for publicity".

Also, she is a bloody hypocrite, in the chorus of Destiny's Child's song "Nasty girl", she said; "Nasty put some clothes on...Don't walk out your house without your clothes on..." yet she is seen on the cover of her Album with nothing but diamonds. :confused:

I find the whole family thing really disconcering as well (father = manager, mother = stylists) plus with all the members that left I think it would be really interesting to know the truth about what is going on in Destiny's Child.

Plus with all her Independant Women stuff the her Boyfriend Jayzee does a song 99 problems but a bitch ain't one :confused: Maybe I am just getting old though and missing the point :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said earlier she is a bloody hypocrite, if my boyfriend sings a song like that I would have him castrated just for the fun of it. No, you are not getting old, I am relatively young and I don't get it either, I like previous songs by jayz (mostly party tracks) but 99 problems was taking the piss.

As for issues with the Destiny's child members, I read an interview with an old memer of destiny's child and according to her Kelly and Barry are like sisters and with her parents managing everything, Kelly and Barry get first choice in everything, notice Barry always sings practically the whole song leaving the chorus for Kelly and the extra for Michelle.
  • risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that L'oreal products would have worked on Beyonce's hair type. Her hair is not so tightly curled and is not black either. Also, i would have thought that they would maybe have worked on straigtened afro hair but maybe not.
    Some americans seem to have had some sucess with this
    product.
    In the last several years, blonding among blacks has become one of the hottest trends in ethnic hair care. Soft Sheen Carson hair color by L'Oreal sells four shades of blonde. Between the months of June and September, blacks bought 100,000 units of the lightest shade. Chereese Griffin of L'Oreal believes the trend proves that black women are willing to take more risks than they have in the past.
    link

I wouldn't have thought to use them myself even though L'oreal have been trying to tap into the ethnic hair care market for a while they clearly are not doing good enough yet and i would not buy their hair products just yet.
    If i got a tester then i would try it but i would not buy without trying first because i would not expect it to work on my hair. False advertising is a bad thing and it is wrong for L'oreal to do this if that is what they are doing.

My hair is in its natural state which is afro and there are not much products that would work on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hair is in its natural state which is afro and there are not much products that would work on that.

I always find this totally shocking. I thought at the very least the great god profit would be enough motivation to supply this untapped market.
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read several black hair and beauty magazines and they recommend that products like Loreal and those of a similar ilk should not be used on black hair. The quality and texture of black and european hair is completely different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me is the actualy advert. When she says something along the lines of...

"............and it lasts" (sorry couldn't remember the rest). Watch how she shakes her head! Grrrr!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't keep my hair natural because I have been know to break quite a few combs and I still do despite my treated hair.I can't even find a good relaxer, I use dark and lovely 'super/ultra' and my hair just looks blow dried.
    I choose to have my hair chemically treated because it is unmanageable in it's natural state and there are few products that can keep my hair tame, even hairdressers don't know what to do with it.

I think (i have to confirm this) that Pantene make a range of products for afro-carribean hair but for soem strange reason it is only avaliable in America.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The loreal line seems to have taken of well in the states and seems to be doing well over there.
    Loreal have taken over two of the biggest afro hair care brands in the states and i wonder what they will do with it, will be interesting to see.
    I have tried Paul Mitchell products before ( which i won on a radio competiton) when my hair was straight and i have to say that they worked very well in styling my hair.

I was happy when Boots started selling coco-butter lol, will be a long time before they start selling afro hair products because where i live there is little demand for these products.
    My dad usually buys hair styling products for me because he has got a car and more able to get to these ethnic hair shops.
    Some black women who live in the North of england and who do not have access to these ethnic hair care shops where they live sometimes have to travel down to London to get their products or have friends send it over to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hair is really tough and sometimes i often go without combing it when it is out of plaits because it hurts too much.
    I often just keep mine in plaits so i opt out of managing it. I just took it out of plaits yesterday and i am dreading combing it.

I have been growing my hair for the last three years.
    It is all a matter of personal choice how we choose to wear our hair whether be it natural, straight or whatever style we choose. It was important for me to grow my hair though naturally at least for a while.
    I cannot consider straigtening mine again because it always makes my hair fall out without fail. Every time it damages my hair and my hair breaks no matter what.
    Having it spiral permed is more gentle on my hair and a style that i may consider in the future.
    That style seems to make my hair grow fast and so does braiding it and leaving it natural.

I hope that you find a good relaxer Cybergirl. Maybe if you posted on black hair meda.com or a site like that then they may have some good recommendations for you?

cybergirl3 wrote:
    I can't keep my hair natural because I have been know to break quite a few combs and I still do despite my treated hair.I can't even find a good relaxer, I use dark and lovely 'super/ultra' and my hair just looks blow dried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that you find a good relaxer Cybergirl. Maybe if you posted on black hair meda.com or a site like that then they may have some good recommendations for you?

Thanks for that, I have always been trying relaxers based on recommendations from my friends, I have used motions, the olive oil treatment and some of the relaxers I tried bleached by hair and now it is actually falling out. I have decided to have it in cornrows till further notice because I can't be bothered to go through the horror of having it chemically straightened again.