Options

Sky+ and high frequency box noise

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi all,

I’ve recently had Sky+ installed and I’m on the 2nd box this week (latest Amstrad one). The first one was replaced as it emitted a high pitched whine when turned on, not a loud noise but the precise frequency that drills into your skull.

I thought the second box was initially ok as last night the wining noise was gone however on turning on my Sky+ box today the noise is back again.

The Sky engineer said that all the boxes he has installed have that noise, but he also agreed that he wouldn’t be able to put up with it either. Sky themselves seem to vary on opinion from ‘it shouldn’t make that noise’ to ‘the noise will wear off’ and ending with ‘the noise is normal’.

Has anyone else experienced this and has any suggestion as to what I should do?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    My amstrad box had this for the first week or two and now it has completely gone. I think something along the lines of: as the cheapo components bedded in, it fixed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's wierd though. I've been playing about and the high pitched noise now only seems to happen on certain channels. Sky One is fine, change to Sky One Mix and the whine is back :/

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope is quietens down as suggested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have the Pace box and have it for months, it seems to come and go.

Marvin.
  • Options
    Geoff UKGeoff UK Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    My Amstrad box did this on some shannels, but not others for about the first 3 or 4 days. It's all quiet now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup my amstrad did it for the first day or so. it definitely goes. not sure if it goes cos of components bedding in, or if the software update does something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Got the exact same thing for about the first four days, then... gone. Nigh-on silent now, it's hard to believe it was so loud when it first arrived. I'd give it a week and see what happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I've had my Amstrad '+' for 3 months.

It started off silent, but now emits a constant high pitched whine (which eminates from the HD) when on, regardles of channel viewed, recording/playback etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    has anyone experienced the noise, replaced the disk and noted that the noise has disappeared?

Working in IT for 10+ years I have never heard a noise like this from a hard disk before.

What I have heard before is high frequency CPU whine from old PC's and in the good old days, a similar noise from TV tuners.

I note that some of you say it only happens on certain channels. This wouldn't therefore be attributable to the hard disk.

My Amstrad whines, the engineer said they all do that for the first hour or so as they format and the heads move back and forth.

What B**l stepper motors dont whine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well yesterday I had the whining noise ok Sky One Mix and not Sky One itself, today it's the other way around . . . god knows what's going on with it.
  • Options
    JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same problem when sky installed an Amstrad for me, the noise occured on some channels and not others, but it was very annoying. I just got them to change the box back to a Pace, which does not make any noise at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aren't the Pace boxes the more expensive ones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gah the noise is driving me insane so called Up Sky who are going to replace it with a Pace box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Jasonn wrote:
    Aren't the Pace boxes the more expensive ones?

Pace box costs the customer same as an Amstrad - what the relative cost is to sky? one can only presume Amstrads are cheaper hence they replaced pace as the current supplier
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does the hi pitched noise come thru your speakers?

I installed mine yesterday and i get the occasional hi pitched morse code sounding noise! I comes thru my surround speakers tho and only lasts a couple of seconds or so.

slim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nah, the noise comes from the box itself, towards the front of the box so rules out the rear fan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Jasonn wrote:
    Well yesterday I had the whining noise ok Sky One Mix and not Sky One itself, today it's the other way around . . . god knows what's going on with it.

I had the exact same problem. Sods law it didnt do it the day the engineer came out!
  • Options
    njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    My TV does this more than the Sky+ unit and computer monitors are the worst, however I've not noticed any whine from the Sky+ but will keep an eye out, or should I say ear?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the Sky engineer turned up . . . with yet another Amstrad. After a lengthy and extremely frustrating phone conversation I have been told that I cannot get a Pace box. I was also told that should the 3rd Amstrad box be faulty then it must be something else as apparently "it's impossible to get 3 faulty boxes in a row". Also "the Pace box is more expensive" and that "the Pace and Amstrad boxes are 100% identical right down the each individual component".

Who are they trying to kid?

On the plus side the noise seems to have died down allot in the past 24 hours however the up/down keys still seem to have a mind of their own with the Sky+ box suddenly whizzing off through the channels at the slightest press of a button.

Think I'll stick with this box as it seems quiet enough to be bearable (hope it stays that way) and if I have to put up with Sky's inconsistent and totally contradictory telephone support again I think I'll explode.

Out of interest is there a way to buy your own Sky+ box and use that? Is it simply a matter of calling their activation line once you have the new box all plugged in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Jasonn wrote:
    Well the Sky engineer turned up . . . with yet another Amstrad. After a lengthy and extremely frustrating phone conversation I have been told that I cannot get a Pace box. I was also told that should the 3rd Amstrad box be faulty then it must be something else as apparently "it's impossible to get 3 faulty boxes in a row". Also "the Pace box is more expensive" and that "the Pace and Amstrad boxes are 100% identical right down the each individual component".

Who are they trying to kid?

On the plus side the noise seems to have died down allot in the past 24 hours however the up/down keys still seem to have a mind of their own with the Sky+ box suddenly whizzing off through the channels at the slightest press of a button.

Think I'll stick with this box as it seems quiet enough to be bearable (hope it stays that way) and if I have to put up with Sky's inconsistent and totally contradictory telephone support again I think I'll explode.

Out of interest is there a way to buy your own Sky+ box and use that? Is it simply a matter of calling their activation line once you have the new box all plugged in?

http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/acatalog/Sky_Plus_Receivers.html
    Appear to have some pace in stock. Might be worth phoning/emailing em before ordering though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I bought my Pace from ebay, £149+vat & free nextday delivery!

Skyeurope was the ebay shop i bought from.

Also tell the Sky CS lie droids that how can the pace & amstrad boxes be 100% identical when for starters Pace has card slots on the left & the Amstrads are on the right?

Slim