Options

When would you say someone was "Famous"?

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
:rolleyes: Someone who has been on a reality TV show should definately not be famous. People like Jade Goody get me so angry. :mad: :mad: I'd say someone is famous when they have proved they have a talent like Cat Deeley (presenter) or an actress or singer.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a matter of opinion. Some people would say Cat Deeley was not famous. My husband, who is only in his early forties does not know who she is. In fact you had to put her occupation in brackets, if she were truly famous you wouldn't have had too.

You could argue that only people like Elton John, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson are truly famous as the majority of people would know them if you said the name.

Genuine question: Are you angry because Jade is making a lot of money from her appearances in the media? Her 'fame' is due only to the hard work of her PR.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could argue that only people like Elton John, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson are truly famous as the majority of people would know them if you said the name.

You know, I'm sure that there are many people out there who don't know who Paul McCartney is :(

jack
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote:
    You know, I'm sure that there are many people out there who don't know who Paul McCartney is :(

jack
    One of them being his current wife, allegedly. She is supposed to have said in an interview that when she met him, she had no idea who he was ... :rolleyes:

As for the original question, it seems you only have to be swindling the benefit office a la lizzie bardsley these days to be famous, so it doesnt take much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of them being his current wife, allegedly. She is supposed to have said in an interview that when she met him, she had no idea who he was ... :rolleyes:

As for the original question, it seems you only have to be swindling the benefit office a la lizzie bardsley these days to be famous, so it doesnt take much.
    Gawd, don't bring her up! We've had enough horror tonight what with eels, rats, balls and Ant's disappearing hairline (getting set for a remake of Cadfael the medieval monk detective, isn't he?). Lizzy Bardsley is so much the antithesis a famous person, it just ain't true. I wouldn't stop to say anything to her, I'd just run away screaming and then remember what a lazy shiteface she is and walk slowly, secure in the knowledge she'd never catch up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i Hate Paul McCartneys wife so much, she spouts so much bullshit its unbelievable. I've lost all respect for Paul McCartney for marrying her. AS IF she didn't know who he was when she met him. AS IF. She is THE biggest gold digger
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being famous is about whether or not people you don't know recognise you. You can be famous for all sorts of reasons, some worthy, some less so, but Jade is famous. You might not like what she does for a living, but she's famous. Fame is measured according to how many people know who you are and what you do.

You can't confuse fame, or even celebrity with how big a star they are. Jade is very famous, which makes her a bigger 'star' than someone who is an unknown, but in spite of being in the magazines regularly she's not as big a star as an actress who keeps a low profile except for promotion. Fame comes with being a star, but a true star doesn't need to be in the lime-light all the time.

People like Jade, or Jordan will do as many interviews or photo-shoots for the glossy magazines as they can, because that's all they can do. Their job is to be famous and to get into the papers. The journalists "love" them, because it makes their job easy, but as soon as they try to branch out it becomes unstuck. Have you seen the attempts at presenting by both those women lately? Dreadful! Jordan keeps announcing that she's ditching the trashy image and wants to be taken seriously, but she'll never be taken seriously so long as she has a tv documentary crew following her and keeps accidentally getting photographed doing something tabloid worthy by the same photographers.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A reasonable test would be if I were to select a persons name. If 2 out of the first 10 persons to read this post know who the person is, I would say that that person is famous. Being very famous would require at score of at least 6 or 7.

Name......Thomas Telford ( No looking him up !)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard of him, and I had a rough idea of what I thought he did, but I had to check to be sure. I'm not sure if he can count as 'famous', but he's well known people with certain interests. I bet there are a lot of people out there who know who he is, but wouldn't know most of the people featured in heat. My dad for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote:
    Being famous is about whether or not people you don't know recognise you. You can be famous for all sorts of reasons.
    I totally agree, i think you're famous when people all over the world/country recognise you and know your face or know of you. :)
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    A reasonable test would be if I were to select a persons name. If 2 out of the first 10 persons to read this post know who the person is, I would say that that person is famous. Being very famous would require at score of at least 6 or 7.

Name......Thomas Telford ( No looking him up !)

Um.... who? :):confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is he something to do with engineering? Thomas Telford I mean, not Pelicano ... lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it all came naturally, Being Famous is an easy thing when you're like me. People agree with, thats what made me a Diva.
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    Is he something to do with engineering? Thomas Telford I mean, not Pelicano ... lol

I'm definitely not an engineer!!
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well in todays day and age you only have to walk past the window on richard and judy to be famous
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can be the ugliest, most talentless no hoper on the planet and still get on prime time TV - whose idea was it to give the Pick-a-chick 'Tragedy' freak airtime singing on the X Factor?
    No wonder Strictly Come Dancing got more viewers, up against this kind of moronic trash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Some people call Rik Waller famous. He was on Pop Idol...he didnt even come close to winning. He released one song...which, correct me if Im wrong was really bad, and didnt do so well. And where is he now? I wouldnt exactly call him a celebrity.
    Nor people like Jade Goody, Nadia...etc...who were on TV for doing...nothing basically. Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When would you say someone was "Famous"?

When they begin to annoy me. :mad:
  • Options
    DillholeMcGintyDillholeMcGinty Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: Someone who has been on a reality TV show should definately not be famous. People like Jade Goody get me so angry. :mad: :mad: I'd say someone is famous when they have proved they have a talent like Cat Deeley (presenter) or an actress or singer.
    so what exactly is cat deeley's talent then ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's a lovely satsuma colour :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's got treacley-coloured hair, most of the time. And she isn't Jade Goodey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that you know you are famous once newspapers pay others to dish the dirt on your hitherto private life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    being famous can mean anything, it can mean that you are famous for your charity work, you are famous at where you work for getting most work doen, famous down your local pub as champion of darts or kareoke.

On a celebrity status, i would say you are famous when you have been ridiculed, in a gossip Mag/column. When PRs take advantage of you, when you get fan male.

Being famous doesnt mean you have to be famous in a celebrity sense.

Famous is being on big brother, chat show host, presenter, actor anything aslong those streams, but, you need you big break..........working on little stations like avago doesnt mean you are famous, but to people who watch it you are. to become a 'well known person' you would have to have a decent career in presenting, singing or acting on the main channels.

There are diferent levels of fame. World class fame are people like whitney, mariah, oprah, Tom Cruise, Julia roberts and John travolta.

It depends on how high your career is, according to when you become famous.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirren wrote:
    Some people call Rik Waller famous. He was on Pop Idol...he didnt even come close to winning. He released one song...which, correct me if Im wrong was really bad, and didnt do so well. And where is he now? I wouldnt exactly call him a celebrity.
    Nor people like Jade Goody, Nadia...etc...who were on TV for doing...nothing basically. Why?

All the people mentioned above are famous in this country AT THE MOMENT. In a few years time they may not be famous anywhere.

I mentioned earlier in the thread Thomas Telford, an engineer who died about 170 years ago. Some people know of him so he IS famous and he will continue to be so.

It does help when you are one of the only people, possibly the only person, who has a major town named after them.

Jadeville ?? :confused: