Options

sports personality

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
Forum Member
Kelly Holmes is named BBC Sports Personality of the Year with an overwhelming victory in a public vote.
The double Olympic gold medallist beat rowing's Matthew Pinsent, with cricketer Andrew Flintoff in third.

Pinsent did pick up a consolation when he and his coxless four crew were named Team of the Year for their victory at the Athens Olympics.

good - anyone who can win two gold medals and dance as good as she can deserves it imho

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it was very surprising result :yawn:

for some reason my nominee Jake "The Snake" Roberts didn't make the short list
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have nominated Jenson Button for sports personality of the year. He's had an outstanding year driving for BAR and hopefully he can look forward to his first win next season.

[QUOTE-mcginlay]good - anyone who can win two gold medals and dance as good as she can deserves it imho

Are you getting Kelly Holmes confused with Denise Lewis or did I miss something?

:confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Kelly can shake it too, but that Denise Lewis is an incredible dancer ;) .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree but I think the better dancer won on the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorothy wrote:
    I agree but I think the better dancer won on the night.

Absolutely. Amazingly, because Jill looks like nothing standing still, but is sex on legs on the dancefloor.

An interesting question for you all.

I just heard a chap on 5 Live say that it would have been better if Amir Khan had won Sports Personality of the Year, because of all that Muslims have been through recently.

When Kelly won, did you think "Wow, that's great, a Black woman has won!", or did you think "Great! Kelly Holmes, double gold-medallist, won!"?

Would it have been better if Amir Khan, Muslim male, silver-medallist, had won?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,532
    Forum Member
    It never crossed my mind that Kelly Holmes (black woman) won the sports personality of the year.

I did think her dress was awful though .....

Does that make me shallow? I was really happy for Kelly even though her speech went on and on and on on on on!

She is wonderful, lovely, unassuming and deserved the award. (But someone get her a better dresser) The day I think black or white, muslim or christian when it comes to ability or talent or anything! Someone take me out and shoot me.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    There is enought politics in sports already without dragging SPOTY into it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,532
    Forum Member
    mamasan wrote:
    Maybe Kelly can shake it too, but that Denise Lewis is an incredible dancer ;) .

I was going to mention the dancing but didn't quite see where it was relevant. Denise was good at moving, but her feet were clumsy.

Ummm I'll shut up now ....... how anyone could mistake Kelly for Denise defeats me a bit, but now I am older I won't go off on one :D
  • Options
    steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a really talented, determined and dedicated athlete.

She deserved the award.

I thought she looked really nervous tonight, but stunning all the same :):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D You old bird, you, LK!

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, well done, Kelly. It's coming to something if some people think that a silver medallist should win over a double gold medallist. I don't think Amir Khan would welcome being patronised like that and I'm sure he'll win it on his own account if he carries on in the same vein and it will be genuine and therefore have more impact. What a stupid thing for the Radio 5 live person to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she won her first gold medal at the Olympics, I happened to be on the phone to my mum and told her, and she said "oh is she that black girl?" and I said "no". I'd never even noticed! I don't even think about her skin colour. My first thoughts when she won last night were great, a woman has won it, and nobody deserved it more than her. (And more especially as I voted for her :) )

Something occurred to me though, if our votes last night finalised the top three, how come they had a trophy and a presentation live in South Africa to the guy who came third (sorry, don't follow cricket, so don't know his name, hmm was he a cricketer? :confused: )
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she absolutely thoroughly deserved it after all the setbacks she's ahd over the years. that moment when she crossed the line and realised she'd won was fantastic. (she did look uncomfortable in that outfit tho')

shame the relay team didn't win - no, not because they're black too :p - but because they hadn't done so well individually, but pulled The Perfect Race out of the bag to beat the favourites. another brilliant moment.

and don't be so rude about Jill, Mamasan. :p

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    When she won her first gold medal at the Olympics, I happened to be on the phone to my mum and told her, and she said "oh is she that black girl?" and I said "no". I'd never even noticed! I don't even think about her skin colour. My first thoughts when she won last night were great, a woman has won it, and nobody deserved it more than her. (And more especially as I voted for her :) )

Something occurred to me though, if our votes last night finalised the top three, how come they had a trophy and a presentation live in South Africa to the guy who came third (sorry, don't follow cricket, so don't know his name, hmm was he a cricketer? :confused: )

they just had a replica of each ready to present if he came first, second or third.

Iain
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the cricket team was in the running for team of the year after a fantastic season so Freddie just had to wait a little longer in the studio. I'm sure he knew Kelly had it in the bag but let's hope he wins it next year following a stunning ashes victory!
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    how come they had a trophy and a presentation live in South Africa to the guy who came third (sorry, don't follow cricket, so don't know his name, hmm was he a cricketer? :confused: )

Yes, he's a cricketer - Andrew Flintoff. They're over there losing to SA at the moment! Not sure how they managed the live presentation - unless they knew he'd won something, but not whether it was 1, 2 or 3?

Great news about Kelly Holmes - I saw both her medal-winning races, and it was great to see someone so genuinely astonished/delighted/determined.
    Chuffed! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote:
    they just had a replica of each ready to present if he came first, second or third.

Iain

Thanks, if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iain wrote:
    and don't be so rude about Jill, Mamasan. :p

:o Was that by pointing out that she really must have been having a bad hair night on Saturday, or for calling her sex on legs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mamasan wrote:
    :o Was that by pointing out that she really must have been having a bad hair night on Saturday, or for calling her sex on legs?

it was the "Jill looks like nothing standing still" bit. shame on you :D maybe i'm just a sucker for accents tho'. whatever happened to jayne middlemiss?

Iain :D
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    Dorothy wrote:
    They could have nominated Jenson Button for sports personality of the year. He's had an outstanding year driving for BAR and hopefully he can look forward to his first win next season.

There are no nominations by he BBC for Sports Personality of the Year ... The BBC asked the public to put forward names to a long list and the top five of that long list became the short list on the night.

Jensen Button did not make the short list on the night because not enough people suggested him in the long list pocess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes. but what do all these "sports" personalities have to do with "show business".

thats what confuses me.

Iain
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the most deserved person won the prize on the night; after all, it was voted for by the viewers.

Not too sure about her choice of dress, though: did the designers run out of material or something?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kelly thoroughly deserved it, however, whoever styled her wants shooting.

The dress was horrific and just accentuated her manly muscles and made her look like a bit of a tranny tbh. And her hair was revolting.

Next time Kelly please love wear something that accentuates the great flat stomach you have (cow!) and doesn't make you look like a bloke in a dress. I was cringing.

Great to see you win though gal! :D
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever a female sports star dresses up for an awards ceremony or some equally auspicious occasion, they always seem to emerge looking like they've been styled by a visually-impaired, inebriated drag queen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member

Are you getting Kelly Holmes confused with Denise Lewis or did I miss something?

:confused:

no, i broke the golden rule and posted whilst pissed - :o