Options

Had Enough: People slagging FF

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello People.
I am just writing to let everyone know that i am sick to death of people moaning because the only advice given to them was to download an alternative browser (for example, Mozilla Firefox) - as I beleive in most cases this is a perfectly sufficient reply and solves the problem. Let's Face it, IE pretty much dominates the world sadly because people know no better - and it's a pretty bad browser! I don't like it at all. Nearly all Computers i know that use IE have some kind of program 'leeching' onto the side of it. All the School ones have several mywebsearch toolbars that have self-installed, My Friend - her computer had just had broadband installed and she had started using Internet Explorer. She called me and said it was slowing down so much and i go round to see that nearly everything had been messed up by diallers (she still had the phoneline connection in from dialup ! ! ! !) and dirty popups which had installed themselves in the root of her computer. Format and install firefox + decent AV + firewall later - problems solved! She's thanked me so many times it's getting silly!
Seriously, People out there who stick to internet explorer because it's what you know and love - just try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it. I didnt like firefox at first - It was alien to me. Didn't understand how anything worked and put me off. But i kept with it and found that i was liking it !

Had to get that off my chest.
Thankyou!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davester wrote:
    Hello People.
    I am just writing to let everyone know that i am sick to death of people moaning because the only advice given to them was to download an alternative browser (for example, Mozilla Firefox) - as I beleive in most cases this is a perfectly sufficient reply and solves the problem. Let's Face it, IE pretty much dominates the world sadly because people know no better - and it's a pretty bad browser! I don't like it at all. Nearly all Computers i know that use IE have some kind of program 'leeching' onto the side of it. All the School ones have several mywebsearch toolbars that have self-installed, My Friend - her computer had just had broadband installed and she had started using Internet Explorer. She called me and said it was slowing down so much and i go round to see that nearly everything had been messed up by diallers (she still had the phoneline connection in from dialup ! ! ! !) and dirty popups which had installed themselves in the root of her computer. Format and install firefox + decent AV + firewall later - problems solved! She's thanked me so many times it's getting silly!
    Seriously, People out there who stick to internet explorer because it's what you know and love - just try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it. I didnt like firefox at first - It was alien to me. Didn't understand how anything worked and put me off. But i kept with it and found that i was liking it !

Thankyou!

I agree with you. I've seen a few times in this forum where people get it, then hate it. If you're happy with IE, then stick with it.

Personally, FF is a life saver for me. I work on one clients site who has a CMS. I can have one tab for the CMS, one for the publish script, one for the preview, and one for the file manager. FF handles this really well.

I browse any sites I like now, I never see a pop up or advert, it's great! :D
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me how WIndows Update only works with IE. I think its time MS actually got off their arse and made a program for updates that you can run manually rather than just a webpage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course lovely Microsoft want you to view their website in their browser so they can scan your system and promote use of IE. How Childish!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I tried doing the windows update in FF and sure enough it didn't work. There are also a few (mainly MS based) pages that FF doesn't recognise.

For both the updates and these pages I use AVANT. Is it right that Avant is related to MS (sorry, not very technical minded) or runs from an MS programme or something? I onl yuse it for these very odd times because despite pop up blockers and av progs and spyware blockers etc, it still loads stuff on my pc that I don't want.

Have to agree about firefox -it's the best. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Quite a few people seem to hate it because it doesn't look like IE, but 10 minutes of customising the toolbars and it can look exactly like IE does. :rolleyes:

To illustrate:

My IE window
    My Firefox window

Now what's so difficult about that?
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davester wrote:
    Hello People.

Thankyou!

It's this sort of thing that people get annoyed about. I use FF so everyone else must. I actually DO use it, but there are issues with it, as well as the other browsers. Whatever people find best for their needs is OK by me. This "FF solves everyone's problems" attitude is indicative of a very defensive mindset, IMNSHO.
  • Options
    harvsharvs Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    The only problem I have with FF is that there isn't a facility to put a "full screen" view icon on the tool bar. Or is there ??
  • Options
    steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's this sort of thing that people get annoyed about. I use FF so everyone else must. I actually DO use it, but there are issues with it, as well as the other browsers. Whatever people find best for their needs is OK by me. This "FF solves everyone's problems" attitude is indicative of a very defensive mindset, IMNSHO.
    But Firefox is better than IE - isnt that all that matters?

(I've heard you use haggis to power your computers up in aberdeen) ;)
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Nearly all Computers i know that use IE have some kind of program 'leeching' onto the side of it. All the School ones have several mywebsearch toolbars that have self-installed

Self installed? Installed WITH user interaction more like.

Perhaps the system administrators need to learn a thing or two about tieing down their systems. At college, we can't install any ActiveX controls as students and have never had this problem in IE.

I went to that mistyped Google link and although my screen filled with popups asking me to install various crap, I clicked cancel or no to all of them and nothing installed. A brain and reading skills go far when using a computer. You can change browsers all you like but if you download an execute a file which is a hidden dialler/spyware/adware/virus app in then you're screwed. Firefox won't come to the rescue there. :rolleyes:

If there is one thing I hate most, then it has to be that those that come along and say "Get Firefox" to every problem that someone has in IE. If you take the analogy that IE is your pet cat, if you look after it, it will still be alive and working well (i.e. IE will be free of mywebsearch toolbars) but if you don't look after it, then it will become ridden with fleas.

I think Firefox needs a bit done to it before it actually becomes user friendly. I was using Firefox on a site which has loads of popups and windows asking me to install crapware and trying to download files which I wanted to save to different directories each time. However Firefox has no ability to be able to switch download directories on the fly like IE can. It dumps everything in one directory. Grrr ...

Also, Firefox needs to carry a warning on it with "not for old computers". It might take only about 10 seconds max to load on my new computer which has a P4 3.2GHz processor, but it took at least a minute on my old computer, a lowly 500MHz celeron.

Both browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. I hate it when people just bash something for the sake of it - just because it is produced by a certain company and because it is the defacto standard.

Would you like it if everyone replied "Get Linux", "Get FreeBSD", "Get a Mac" to every Windows problem people had?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few people seem to hate it because it doesn't look like IE, but 10 minutes of customising the toolbars and it can look exactly like IE does. :rolleyes:

To illustrate:

My IE window
    My Firefox window

I just downloaded a luna theme and it matches the rest of windows. Great!

http://www.intraplanar.net/project/luna/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    harvs wrote:
    The only problem I have with FF is that there isn't a facility to put a "full screen" view icon on the tool bar. Or is there ??

I just had a quick look in google and this came up.........

http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/56/

It puts an option for full screen in the context (Right click) menu and it works with the latest version of firefox!
    Maybe that'll do??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote:
    However Firefox has no ability to be able to switch download directories on the fly like IE can. It dumps everything in one directory. Grrr ...

Tools > Downloads > Ask me where to save every file

...Unless I misunderstood what you meant, that is... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    onesevern wrote:
    I just had a quick look in google and this came up.........

http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/56/

It puts an option for full screen in the context (Right click) menu and it works with the latest version of firefox!
    Maybe that'll do??

Or you could just press F11. :p
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Tools > Downloads > Ask me where to save every file

...Unless I misunderstood what you meant, that is... :)

Where?

Unless I'm being very blonde, I can't see an option for this in the tools menu.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote:
    Where?

Unless I'm being very blonde, I can't see an option for this in the tools menu.

:confused:

Tools > Options > Downloads

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Or you could just press F11. :p

Or that, just the context menu means you only need to use one hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onesevern wrote:
    Or that, just the context menu means you only need to use one hand.

Why does pressing F11 require two hands? Using that only requires one finger :p :rolleyes: :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use FF on my lappy and one machine and IE on my spare that i let other peeps use.

If IE was able to block pop ups more effectively and had tabbed browsing then i would be all for it, as it is though that is prolly years off, if at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To illustrate:

My IE window
    My Firefox window

What theme is that your using??
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pity no one knows the answer to my main problem with Firefox, which is how to make it start when I click on the link to open my Hotmail in MSN Messenger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity no one knows the answer to my main problem with Firefox, which is how to make it start when I click on the link to open my Hotmail in MSN Messenger.

I can't do that either - because I also have MSN Premium installed it decides to open that.

I'm using MSN Messenger 7 BETA so this may be something they will add (if a legal requirement) when it is released. I have an extension that allowes links in hotmail email to open in a new tab but that really has noting to do with your problem! Lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just writing to let everyone know that i am sick to death of people moaning because the only advice given to them was to download an alternative browser (for example, Mozilla Firefox) - as I beleive in most cases this is a perfectly sufficient reply and solves the problem.
    Well I believe (seeing as we are totally talking opinions here) that it normally isn't a valid reply. As I have stated before I believe that there are 2 questions which 'get firefox' could be an accepted answer 1) Is there an alternative to IE 2) What can I do about [insert exploit which is currently unpatched in IE].

For example, someone asked 'How can I get my address bar back? I can see the word 'address' to the right of my links but I can't get it back'. Now how is 'get firefox' (which was the first 3 responces) going to help that person??? OK, stick it in as an afterthought or suggest it along the way but I was the 4th reply and it was the first one that actually attempted to answer the question.

We aren't slagging off firefox (mainly) we are just pointing out that any question that has IE in it shouldn't have an answer of 'get firefox'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    media guy wrote:
    For example, someone asked 'How can I get my address bar back? I can see the word 'address' to the right of my links but I can't get it back'. Now how is 'get firefox' (which was the first 3 responces) going to help that person??? .

I agree.

If somebody went into a PC repair shop and were told that the only solution to their problem would be to buy a new PC then I don't think the person would go back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    examinus wrote:
    Tools > Options > Downloads

:)

Oops! That'll teach not to do these things from memory. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member