Options

BBC One - Changing Rooms in Boscastle

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
Forum Member
They're not... no, they're not really, are they? Tell me they're not...

.. I was half hoping that they were just sending the Changing Rooms crew over to Boscastle to help with the rebuilding of the town, but oh no.. the designers are getting the say on what the rooms get rebuilt as...

.. haven't the residents had it bad enough this year as it is??

Comments

• Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this not featured in a sketch on "Dead Ringers" the other night.

Sorry, but I can't really understand this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Er no, it's really really on, right now, on BBC One.

I can understand how the residents of the town would be glad of all the help they can get to get the rebuilding done, but do they need the full Changing Rooms treatment?

"Hmm I thought we'd go for a Medeterranean mosaic effect on your living room wall.. I thought it'd work really really well.."
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it's a short term solution. It will look okish until they have the time and money to change it.
  • Options
    gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused I would have thought the residents would be covered by Insurance for an event like that so wouldnt need changing rooms. And who paid for that brand new motor caravan? It didnt say in the show???? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, the insurance companies, in some cases, found lovely little exclusion clauses they could take advantage of.
    :(
  • Options
    gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    Apparently, the insurance companies, in some cases, found lovely little exclusion clauses they could take advantage of.

Thats really bad that they can be like that to people who have lost close to everything. When i saw the show I thought it was a bit odd changing rooms doing all this if they were covered by insurance but I see why now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. It seems sometimes the good faith principle works only one way and insurers wonder why they have a bad reputation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote:
    And your evidence for this ... ?

I am no fan of Changing Rooms, and normally don't watch it. The "victims" tend to get what they deserve. This time, however, it seems as though the professionals were in charge of the designs, and the results were, in fact, not at all bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rabbit245 wrote:
    it seems as though the professionals were in charge of the designs, and the results were, in fact, not at all bad.
    They wouldn't dare do their normal tasteless antics in this situation.

Would they?

(by the way, wasn't Lawrence trying to do "heavy, serious and sincere" the funniest thing on tv this year, behind Melanie Sykes' quiz show presenting "style"?)
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    I am sure I read about this taken place and it turned out a mess.
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed when i say this on the mini guide. I thought it was a little tasteles but considering that nobody was killed (am i right?) i spose it wasn't that bad.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamfocus wrote:
    I am sure I read about this taken place and it turned out a mess.
    Yeah, I read in the papers a month or so back about this. Apparantly a lot of the buildings haven't completely dried out yet and and aren't structually sound. The room makeovers were said to be a complete waste of time and are just covering up the real problems which need proper building work to fix.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    The room makeovers were... a complete waste of time and are just covering up... real problems which need proper building work to fix.
    Sounds like Changing Rooms to me! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does any one remember whats happening in asia?

I thought it was VERY wrong of the BBC to be airing a TV show about refurbishing after the flood, less than a week after almost 80,000 (as of today) people have died in A FLOOD!

it should have been pulled on sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit over-sensitive don't you think? Under the same reasoning you'd be expecing BBC One to pull EastEnders because someone drinks a glass of water in it...

What happened in Asia was very very sad, but it's not cause to go mental on TV schedules and pull anything which may be consider mildly offensive to a few people.
  • Options
    CRadioCRadio Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Yeah there were reports in the media about this when it was recorded. Apparently the people of Boscastle thought the whole thing was a stupid joke just for the cameras.

The later program on BBC2 was very very good however. A bbc crew had been filming in the village a few months prior to the flood (not sure why), and have filmed since the flood. Its a series called A Seaside Parish.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched both programmes. The Changing Rooms show wasn't that bad and the kids' bedrooms at the Mill were fine.

However the other programme (A Seaside Parish) was excellent. They started filming earlier in the year and obviously had to edit it as events unfolded. I hadn't really seen the effects of the flood in such graphic detail before. I have been to Boscastle (a few years ago) but the reports after the flood didn't explain what had happened so well as this programme. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is extrememly tasteless I thought. I haven't watched the programme, so I can't comment on the content but knowing changing rooms, it can only add to the woes of this village. Haven't they been through enough already?

I was disturbed by the newspaper report that Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen has a holiday home only a few miles away from Boscastle. Smacks of too much personal involvement, perhaps it was inappropriate of him to have been in this show.

As someone pointed out earlier, fortunately no-one was killed in this isolated event, which is relatively minor compared to the Asian Tsunami in which 100,000+ are likely to have died.

Hopefully the Changing Rooms team won't embarrass Britain by offering to go and "help" there.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I was watching that with my building surveying hat on (it's a very attractive pink number with feathers :D ) and I was thinking there is no way those buildings have dried out properly. The woman with the camper van definately got the best deal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bananas wrote:
    This is extrememly tasteless I thought. I haven't watched the programme, so I can't comment on the content but knowing changing rooms, it can only add to the woes of this village.

If you didn't see the programme I can't see the point of you commenting. I saw one of the families rooms, and they seemed happy.

The press has it in for Changing Rooms, which is fair enough, because its crap. But this was the last episode of the show, its over now, and I'm pleased they went out with some decent designs.

So, ladies and gentlemen of the press, you can leave the show alone now. Its over.
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Linda could have been in it and got a discount for them on Sofas and a TV...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you didn't see the programme I can't see the point of you commenting.
    I think I sort of covered the fact I din't watch the programme when I said:
    I haven't watched the programme, so I can't comment on the content but knowing changing rooms, it can only add to the woes of this village.
    So i didn't comment on the content, however the concept was ill-conceived in my opinion. I'm entitled to have an opinion aren't I?