Options

Charity giving - are you tapped out?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does annoy me now that people stop you in the street and ask you to give them your bank details so that money can be donated each month.
    I thought they wern't allowed to do that, in the same way they're not supposed to rattle their tins at you.
    If I want to give to charity, I will, I don't need someone bugging me everywhere I go.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MacattacK wrote:
    I'll talk to you in any manner that I please - your tone in your post that I originally quoted lent a similar tone to mine. Now answer the question.

No, I prefer to ignore trolls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iSix wrote:
    I thought they wern't allowed to do that, in the same way they're not supposed to rattle their tins at you.
    If I want to give to charity, I will, I don't need someone bugging me everywhere I go.

They are not allowed to ask for you money but thats how they get round it - asking you to sign up for regular donations by direct debit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iSix wrote:

When I did a tin collection for shelter, I just stood there not rattling my tin. People still gave and seemed happy to as they did feel coerced.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I give to charity as and when my Conscience tells me to. What I don't need in return is a rehash of a 20 year old song. ( I never brought the first one either)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,532
    Forum Member
    mrfreeze wrote:
    We all know you're a Thatcherite so the idea of eradicating povety will obviously make you laugh.

How exactly did you reach this conclusion? How do *you* know what money I donate to charity. How do *you* know what time I have given to charitable causes. Guess what? I always rattled my tin and made conversation with people as they went by and didn't offend anyone.

As for saying MacAttack is a troll. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If I wasn't an adult and think you must be a young full of himself bloke, and this wasn't a public forum, I would tell you exactly what I thought of your so-called statement of fact about me.

But I won't :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyKnight wrote:
    How exactly did you reach this conclusion? How do *you* know what money I donate to charity. How do *you* know what time I have given to charitable causes. Guess what? I always rattled my tin and made conversation with people as they went by and didn't offend anyone.

As for saying MacAttack is a troll. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If I wasn't an adult and think you must be a young full of himself bloke, and this wasn't a public forum, I would tell you exactly what I thought of your so-called statement of fact about me.

But I won't :D

I reached the decision based on your posts in the 'Why was Thatcher Vilified thread'.
    But my post was made in the spirit of your original post which I took as toungue in cheek.

But thanks to trolls like MacAttack innocent posts get blown out of proportion.

I suggest you ignore me from now on as I don't really care what you or MacAttack think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would have ignored you a long time ago - you aren't the kind of person I would talk to either in real life or on here. The trouble is I can't find the ignore thing.

Anyway I don't think I like you much. I don't like narrow-minded people, I also don't like people who call others trolls for no other reason than they disagree with them.

But enough already. I'm sure someone will be kind enough to explain to me how I can ignore you and your totally offensive posts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyKnight wrote:
    The trouble is I can't find the ignore thing.
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/profile.php?do=editlist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you iSix :)

Did that.

And it worked ........ Horray! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not allowed to ask for you money but thats how they get round it - asking you to sign up for regular donations by direct debit.
    Is there a problem with this? I mean, is it somehow irregular or is the money not being used for what they claim?
    I have at least 4 D/Ds a month to charities, only one of which I think was done through signing up on the street. Should I reconsider?
    Despite my reservations about , IMO, an increasingly charity obsessed culture I do want to share some of what I have with others and this seems to be the only way to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think D/D is the best way to do it. You can think about the causes you want to support and give the money to them.

There is no BEST way to give help to others. We all do what we can the way we think is best.

Please stop listening to the Doom Mongers who keep on saying - the money doesn't get to where it's supposed to. Enough people listen to that nonsense no-one will give to any cause.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyKnight wrote:
    There is no BEST way to give help to others. We all do what we can the way we think is best.

Please stop listening to the Doom Mongers who keep on saying - the money doesn't get to where it's supposed to. Enough people listen to that nonsense no-one will give to any cause.

i do agree with you and although i resent getting hassled on the street i do appreciate the causes that are being helped by it overall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyKnight wrote:
    I think D/D is the best way to do it. You can think about the causes you want to support and give the money to them.

Thanks. Voice of reason, as ever (well, usually :D )

I was beginning to get that sort of 'I'm being ripped off' paranoia that I usually reserve for mortgages/bank accounts / utility providers etc. Bloody hell, of course some of the money goes to admin - goodness sake.
    It's so selfish to talk of 'my' money going 'directly' to the cause. It's just bloody money and it all goes into one pot. If you want a medal - do something for Blue Peter.
  • Options
    SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    magwitch wrote:
    Thanks. Voice of reason, as ever (well, usually :D )

I was beginning to get that sort of 'I'm being ripped off' paranoia that I usually reserve for mortgages/bank accounts / utility providers etc. Bloody hell, of course some of the money goes to admin - goodness sake.
    It's so selfish to talk of 'my' money going 'directly' to the cause. It's just bloody money and it all goes into one pot. If you want a medal - do something for Blue Peter.

Agree 100%, and on that basis donated to the dec fund the other night after agonising pointlessly over where/whether to donate - as it happens they stated on one of the news progs tonight that dec get 94p in the pound after admin etc, but frankly even 50p would be worth it just to feel less impotent about the whole awful situation.

I think the people who get wound up about continual requests from charities for donations probably have slightly guilty consciences. Glad to say, I haven't. :)
  • Options
    MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    Sadperson wrote:
    Agree 100%, and on that basis donated to the dec fund the other night after agonising pointlessly over where/whether to donate - as it happens they stated on one of the news progs tonight that dec get 94p in the pound after admin etc, but frankly even 50p would be worth it just to feel less impotent about the whole awful situation.

I think the people who get wound up about continual requests from charities for donations probably have slightly guilty consciences. Glad to say, I haven't. :)
    D/D is a great idea but I really wouldn't do it via someone you meet on a street. Go direct to the charities themselves. Most have websites where you can pledge via D/D with a few clicks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MacattacK wrote:
    D/D is a great idea but I really wouldn't do it via someone you meet on a street. Go direct to the charities themselves. Most have websites where you can pledge via D/D with a few clicks. :)

I would NEVER give someone in the street my bank details - I'm amazed that people do! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadperson wrote:
    I would NEVER give someone in the street my bank details - I'm amazed that people do! :eek:

Me too. That is really unadvisable. I find the relevant web-site and do the D/D from there.

I hope that's safer :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyKnight wrote:
    Me too. That is really unadvisable. I find the relevant web-site and do the D/D from there.

I hope that's safer :confused:

Used my credit card - it's a National Autistic Society one that gives a small cut to the NAS when I use it, so two birds with one stone, so to speak ;) and I feel safer with that than with DDs. Probably irrational though! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacattacK wrote:
    But why? If these people were out impersonating representatives from all the major charities wouldn't there have been a huge outcry by now? I check my bank statements (fairly) regularly and it is clearly indicated that the D/Ds are going where they are supposed to.
    :confused:

I give my bank details over the internet, on the phone and through written agreements in the post - what exactly is the difference when I give these details to someone in the street, ie. agreeing to pay a certain sum into a certain bank account (which I will check, however the agreement was made)?
    Serious question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know The Prisoner? where everyone was a suspect. Not only that there were bubbles everywhere?

Please please understand that nearly everyone is not out to rip you off. I get a bit sad when I read about this kind of thing. Most people are honest - most people are nice. Most people are like you and me. That has to be something to celebrate.

Compared to the amount of people in the world, the number of people who are so sick and selfish that want to rip you off is miniscule.

Why on earth would anyone let that tiny miniority dictate how the rest of us dontate money to help others who have sodding NOTHING.

No clothes, no food, no water, no toilet facilites, nothing to do but burn their dead, they have nothing! Imagine waking up and all you little important things have gone, family members are dead, friends are dead. You can't get TV or a phone line because you haven't got a damn home, you can't drive because you haven't got petrol, or the bridge has been swept away.

OH for heavens sake - even if half of asia is taking bribes - the more money that is given the more damn money that will get to people who need it.

I would hate to wake up one day and find that everyone I know was dead.

Please stop being so cynical and presenting your cynisim as a way of not being involved in the tragedy that has happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Yes, yes, yes. Exactly.

*EDIT* just realised, LK, that maybe you think I am being cynical? I'm not, really. Just trying to find out why others seem to be.

You say it very well - most people are good. Why do we always think the worst of them?
  • Options
    MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    magwitch wrote:

*EDIT* just realised, LK, that maybe you think I am being cynical? I'm not, really. Just trying to find out why others seem to be.

You say it very well - most people are good. Why do we always think the worst of them?
    I believe that the people that you see out on the street are working for companies that get part of the sum of money over a year paid to them and then another part to the actual charity. OK, fair enough you might say as they stood on the street and canvassed but why not give directly to the charity and that way you cut the street people out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    magwitch wrote:

No Mags. I just hate the degree of cynism I find here. The people who won't donate money and excuse it because they are 'going to be ripped off' the people who won't or didn't buy (whatever 'whateva' their generation) because its some kind of cynical ploy.

It depresses me so. Giving money to help others, spending time helping others, can NEVER be a bad thing. Even if only a small proportion of the money gets to the people you want it to get it, Its BETTER THAN NOTHING!

The day I lose faith in the power of other people to help each other (which has been re-affirmed for me in the the most astonishing way). I will lose all hope that the human race will survive.

Can anyone tell me what exactly we are fighting about? A bit of land that can be swept away in a couple of minutes? A God who doesn't discriminate between any religion when it comes to killing people? Petty little things that mean nothing in the long run.

What DOES it take to make us proud to be people who live on this planet and who work together to keep it safe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacattacK wrote:
    I believe that the people that you see out on the street are working for companies that get part of the sum of money over a year paid to them and then another part to the actual charity. OK, fair enough you might say as they stood on the street and canvassed but why not give directly to the charity and that way you cut the street people out?
    OK Thanks Macattack for answering the question. But it still means that "my money" goes directly to the charity concerned in the end - they already paid this company to canvass. Unless of course "my money" then goes on to pay the company again.... but I don't really care about that because eventually the majority of the funds go to where its needed. The fact that charities feel it necessary and, most importantly, cost-effective to employ such methods, well, that's their decision and I trust them to make it. Am i wrong to do so?