Options

Chill Out Zone on MTV Dance

subsurfing85subsurfing85 Posts: 284
Forum Member
I heard they've been airing Chill Out Zone all day on MTV Dance. Has anybody seen it? I was just wondering what tracks were on and if the graphics of the show were the same as back in the '90's...

www.mtv-chilloutzone.net.ms

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Chill Out Zone has indeed made a brief return to our screens! I don't suppose MTV Dance plans to repeat this in the near future, however. A few of a tracks included Goldfrapp, Moby, Zero 7, Bent and Rob Dougan - Clubbed to Death (one of my favourites).

I'm sorry to dissapoint, but the standard MTV Dance devil graphics were in use throughout which weren't entirely suited to the music being shown.

It's also worth mentioning that 'The Comedown' on MTV (Sundays 4-6am!) is a sort of replacement for the old Chill Out Zone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    The graphics were the same as normal.

I didn't see much of it but I did see Soul II Soul, Rob Dougan, Bent, Etienne de Crecy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, it looks like there was some good stuff on for a change! When will you ever get to see Goldfrapp and similar stuff again on MTV Dance? :)
    Yep Tom, I know about The Comedown. It's basically the same thing as the Chill Out Zone. Besides, it has no proper graphics, so I'd still call it Chill Out Zone (as you can see on my website), where I just added a couple of playlists from MTV UK's COZ).
    Hopefully MTV Dance brings back the show to their regular schedules, I think we need at least a weekly 2 hour fix, right like back in the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also hope that MTV Dance brings this back, alot of music of this genre is sadly overlooked on British music channels.
    I've had a look on your website and noticed that the European MTV channels still value Chill Out Zone to the point where they still have their own graphics.

I've noticed that Party Hard/The Comedown has only been showing sunday mornings over the last few weeks, whereas it's always been listed as being on saturdays too.
    I've emailed MTV, but no joy... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, I should probably change the airtimes of MTV UK on my site... but I don't wanna give my hopes up, you know! ;)
    You can see the show's old graphics on MTV France, MTV Italia, MTV Brand: New (one of the best MTV channels worldwide... available only in Italy though :D ) .
    On MTV European and MTV Portugal they've had new graphics since some time in 2003 and quite honestly, they suck big time. Or better said, they wouldn't suck so bad if they hadn't had such great ones before. Nothing compares to the '90's ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted to move our Sky dish to pick up some European MTV channels, but the powers at be don't seem so keen on the idea!

Did you (or anyone) see any of The Big Chill Zone on VH1 UK during the summer? (Late Saturday night) This had some excellent tracks on it, and in my opinion showed more variety than The Comedown! I hope this comes back again this summer.

Your website is very good, and particularly useful for track listings! :D

The old Chill Out Zone graphics do look very good too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope, I didn't see the Big Chill Zone on VH1 UK last Summer... and I regret it! The point is that I don't get that channel at my place (I'm Italian by the way)! :p
    Thanks for the nice words about my website. Watch out, as massive updates are coming pretty soon...
    Oh, and if you need anything, just drop me a line, you know where to find my addy. Later dude! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers mate, keep up the good work with the website!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    The Big Chill on VH1 was excellent, hopefully it will return in the summer.

They had a great varity of videos too - from Royksopp, Nightmares on Wax and Lemon Jelly to Robert Miles, The Streets and Chicane. Plus the usual chillout favourites - Air, Massive Attack, Zero 7 etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed! The Big Chill stands out to me as the highlight of VH1's programming over the last year! I would be daring and ask for a daytime slot... but we'd better not ask too much of MTV UK!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    tom1649 wrote:
    I've always wanted to move our Sky dish to pick up some European MTV channels, but the powers at be don't seem so keen on the idea!

Did you (or anyone) see any of The Big Chill Zone on VH1 UK during the summer? (Late Saturday night) This had some excellent tracks on it, and in my opinion showed more variety than The Comedown! I hope this comes back again this summer.

Your website is very good, and particularly useful for track listings! :D

The old Chill Out Zone graphics do look very good too!
    Get a skystar2 PCI card then a 43cm dish and point it at Astra1 19.2e with ProgDVB installed on your pc

then you will get:

MTV Central - plently of music shown in day
    MTV France - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    MTV ESP - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    VH1 e - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    VH1 Classic e
    MTV2 Europe
    MTV 2 POP - good for dance
    TMF NL - good for dance
    MTV Hits
    MTV Base

plus other good channels like Trace TV,MCM,VIVA Plus

and these channels are in english aparts from the ads!!

you could be viewing all this for under £100!! which is free forever!!

But its a shame that you don't here music like this anymore in this country :mad:

Anyway , nice site now I might point my dish at 16e for MTV Italy because that seems to be the best for the chilloutzone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    James N wrote:
    Get a skystar2 PCI card then a 43cm dish and point it at Astra1 19.2e with ProgDVB installed on your pc

then you will get:

MTV Central - plently of music shown in day
    MTV France - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    MTV ESP - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    VH1 e - Partyzone,chilloutzone
    VH1 Classic e
    MTV2 Europe
    MTV 2 POP - good for dance
    TMF NL - good for dance
    MTV Hits
    MTV Base

plus other good channels like Trace TV,MCM,VIVA Plus

and these channels are in english aparts from the ads!!

you could be viewing all this for under £100!! which is free forever!!

But its a shame that you don't here music like this anymore in this country :mad:

Anyway , nice site now I might point my dish at 16e for MTV Italy because that seems to be the best for the chilloutzone

I've got a DVB on an 80cm dish pointing at Astra 19.2e, but I'm only getting MTV Central, MTV2POP, Viva and Viva2, what am i doing wrong? Where is MTV France and Hits and Base and TMF NL?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you mean DVB a reciever or PCI Card?? what I mean that ProgDVB can emulate the MTV Networks Europe Package and thats all im saying ! The MTV Networks Europe package isnt FTA!
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Big Chill" that VH1 aired during the summer was much better than the ChillOut Show that was on MTV Dance - just watched some of it thanks to Sky+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the range of tracks on MTV Dance was limited to the more well known stuff.

It does seem odd that VH1 would put something so adventurous as the Big Chill into it's schedule!

It's a shame that some of these videos don't get aired more often because so much effort has been put into the making of some of them!

I will definately look into your idea James, thanks for that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tom1649 wrote:

I will definately look into your idea James, thanks for that! :D
    If you need anymore info just PM me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James N wrote:
    What do you mean DVB a reciever or PCI Card?? what I mean that ProgDVB can emulate the MTV Networks Europe Package and thats all im saying ! The MTV Networks Europe package isnt FTA!

Ahhhhh, got it! But is there a way of emulating the package using a DVB receiver instead of a PCI card?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What reciever have you got? Theres a patch out for my comag receiver what lets me view TPS package on Hotbird and the MTV Networks Europe package on Astra1 what requires no cams or cards !! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James N wrote:
    What reciever have you got? Theres a patch out for my comag receiver what lets me view TPS package on Hotbird and the MTV Networks Europe package on Astra1 what requires no cams or cards !! :D

Its a TechniSat DigiBox 1. How did you put the patch on to your receiver? Did you download it from the net? But then how do you get that from your computer to the receiver?
  • Options
    gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I no longer watch MTV fullstop. The onscreen graphics have become ridiculous. Most of the channels have an onscreen DOG plus another DOG to remind you of the programme you are watching. Very annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    urban469 wrote:
    Its a TechniSat DigiBox 1. How did you put the patch on to your receiver? Did you download it from the net? But then how do you get that from your computer to the receiver?

I use the RS232 Port then send a file to the reciever. Ask on other sat forums the problem is most info on the net is in german for TechniSat but not for my SkyStar2 :D

I no longer watch MTV fullstop. The onscreen graphics have become ridiculous. Most of the channels have an onscreen DOG plus another DOG to remind you of the programme you are watching. Very annoying.

Dont forget the foreign MTVs!!! (In English apart from ads)

MTV Central Europe and MTV2POP hardly show any on screen logos and both of these channels are FTA!!!

You could buy of a FTA digital reciever or use a sky box and get a 43cm dish pointed at Astra1 19.2e then view these channels free forever !!!!!!!

And its hardly expensive I got hold of analogue box and dish lidl for £20 or get a new digital system for around £60
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James N wrote:
    I use the RS232 Port then send a file to the reciever. Ask on other sat forums the problem is most info on the net is in german for TechniSat but not for my SkyStar2 :D

Dont forget the foreign MTVs!!! (In English apart from ads)

MTV Central Europe and MTV2POP hardly show any on screen logos and both of these channels are FTA!!!

You could buy of a FTA digital reciever or use a sky box and get a 43cm dish pointed at Astra1 19.2e then view these channels free forever !!!!!!!

And its hardly expensive I got hold of analogue box and dish lidl for £20 or get a new digital system for around £60

Great info, cheers James, I'll let you know how it goes (probably worth even buying a new receiver if i cant find a patch for the technisat).

Gotta agree with the other person though, the MTV UK are awful now.........i'm ashamed to say i watch the EMAP ones and Chart Show tv.

Yep, the German MTVs (MTV Central and MTV2POP - they're both FTA) are really good because they only have one dog on air, AND they show a completely different playlist from the UK MTV/EMAP channels which are obviously tied to the UK chart rotation. Shame they dont have any live shows.

Does MTV European still have the live afternoon show at 4pm (i think its from the Camden studio isn't it - presented by an English guy - i THINK it was called MTV Select..........NOTHING to do with the old MTV Select we used to have on MTV UK).

MTV France aint bad either from what i remember - but they only have 1 live show a week (called Mercredi 16H, every wednesday afternoon).
  • Options
    Forum Member

I tend to find that the Emap channels have the most on screen graphics these days. The track selection text at the bottom, animation top right (usually the text in number), and DOG (sometimes animated) top left.

I do find MTV Dance's 'devil' DOG annoying because of the way it animates. The current identity has given the channel a much tackier image in my view. I couldn't see much wrong with the old graphics used in the 'Your Resident DJ' days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also remember when the new MTV Dance identity was first launched, there was a clip of the devil shooting some decks... how very apt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with what you said about MTV Central and MTV2POP channel they both make ALL the sky music channels look a joke. All the sky channels aspecaily EMAP and MTVs only play rap music and no dance. After 2002 all the UK music channels but a block on the amount of dance music played theres still plently of it on European channels which are a thousand times better :D
    urban469 wrote:
    MTV France aint bad either from what i remember - but they only have 1 live show a week (called Mercredi 16H, every wednesday afternoon).

I remember Mercredi 16H with that french guy it was some interview show it was good to watch even when I don't speek french! You don't see him as much and all you see on MTV F now is MTV Select with some fat guy!!

But don't get me wrong it beats MTV UK any day! There are far more VJ's on MTV European channels and on MTV UK all you get is some women saying TRL is next (lol)