Is Real Alternative, errrrr, a 'real' alternative

StereRoweStereRowe Posts: 1,305
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My biggest gripe against my beloved BBC is the need to have that bloody awful Real Player installed on my system to access their radio online.

Will the Real Alternative software mean I can ditch Real Player and still listen to 'Auntie' online.

Thanks

StereRowe

Comments

• ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see now that is it a program.

It annoys me that Real player can play windows media content but not vise-versa.

I hate real player so much - its a crap program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real Alternative yes, will allow you to ditch Real Player. I have it myself, its a lifesaver.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Yes Real Alternative really is a real alternative to, er, Real.

I had Realone and it was dump so thankfully someone invented Real Alternative. Don't have much cause to use it but its there along with Quicktime Alternative and Media Player Classic.
  • Peej KertonPeej Kerton Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think RealPlayer gets a hard deal.
    Yes, All the versions before RealOne were awful, but it has the best quality streaming available at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hate having that piece of bloatware in my system - it's a menace! Trying to install its annoying desktop icons and 'message center' (american spelling!!) always bothering me.. It Steals all your filetypes! Thats why i got rid of it.
    Forum Member
    Davester wrote:
    and 'message center' (american spelling!!)

To go on your Media Center no doubt? Not very good at localisation are they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol.. Nope :p They're too damn proud :D
  • Peej KertonPeej Kerton Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davester wrote:
    i hate having that piece of bloatware in my system - it's a menace! Trying to install its annoying desktop icons and 'message center' (american spelling!!) always bothering me.. It Steals all your filetypes! Thats why i got rid of it.

I've never got any of that. Stop clicking NEXT >> without thinking and read each screen maybe??
    Forum Member
    Lifes too short... but I do try to stop apps from installing agents and automatically monitoring filetypes to 'repair' them... Quicktime likes to do that too :( and Winamp...
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Davester wrote:

It doesn't steal your filetypes unless you set it to do so in setup.

For anyone that wants the latest Realplayer but without the crap that comes with the consumer version then you should try the RealPlayer Enterprise.

You will need to fill out a form but you can enter dummy information as that's what I always do. God, I always hate the ways they want to extract information out of you to be able to send you crap in your mail just to download this piece of crap. :mad:

I would fill out the stuff in the form and get a direct link but I find that Real have an awkward download system - from what I gather the files are copied on the fly to some directory with some random numbers and letters - you can download as many times as you like but the link expires a few hours later.
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote:
    You will need to fill out a form but you can enter dummy information as that's what I always do. God, I always hate the ways they want to extract information out of you to be able to send you crap in your mail just to download this piece of crap.

I wanted to see what upgrade handsets are available from T Mobile as my brother came down to have a look as he doesn't have the net.

Transpired I needed to enter a T Mobile number, account information, last bill amount and all sorts of other crap before I could see the prices.

All sites need registration these days and it annoys the bejesus out of me! No need whatsoever.
  • ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want RPE without registration, this is the link:

http://get.real.com/RUK1/193.195.2.190/023b3316ac1da1ddaa20/ria/entinst.exe
  • LukeyboyLukeyboy Posts: 1,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have RealPlayer Enterprise. Don't get it, it takes friggin' ages to load, is slow, there's no features what so ever, I could go on.

I'm downloading RealAlternative now.