Eminem-Toy Soldiers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know who Eminem is referring to in Toy Soldiers and explain what the story to the song is please?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it Nas?? And the guy who owns/runs "The Source" magazine??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it's Ja Rule, as they basically hate each other.
    well i think thats it anyway....
  • rossm2003rossm2003 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Ja Rule & Benzino, he wants to end the fueding between them, as far as i'm aware Ja Rule does too.

The song is OUTSTANDING, and clearly his best work since Stan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suge Knight, although there are referrences to Benzino and Murder Inc ( Ja Rule, Irv Gotti etc )
    After years of speculation by fans and silence by Eminem in regards to his stance on Suge Knight, in regards to his beef with Dr. Dre and attacks on Eminem himself, Eminem has finally spoken out on his new album.
    In "Like Toy Soldiers" Eminem openly discusses his various beefs, often admits fault, and appears to be completely open about his opinions. While his name is blanked out, it is obvious Eminem is referring to Death Row CEO Suge Knight in the flowing verse; ""It was never my intention for someone to get killed, why would I help destroy something I helped build? That wasn't my intention, my intentions were good. I went through my whole career never once mentioning [Suge]. That was just out of respect, for not running my mouth, and talking about something I knew nothing about. Plus Dre told me to stay out, this just wasn't my beef. So I did, I just fell back watched and gritted my teeth. While he's all over TV, down talking the man, who literally saved my life, like "**** it I understand." This is business, and this shit just isnt none of my business, but still knowing this shit could pop off at any minute."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the title 'toy soldiers' is nothing to do with the song and is just a title that came into marshalls head in case anybodys wondering why its called toy soldiers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    rossm2003 wrote:
    It's Ja Rule & Benzino, he wants to end the fueding between them, as far as i'm aware Ja Rule does too.QUOTE]

That's it. He wants to end the feuding because he doesn't want to risk the lives of any of his allies. That's why he shows Proof of D12 being shot....it's what could happen if he keeps dissing people.
    Forum Member
    a04188 wrote:
    the title 'toy soldiers' is nothing to do with the song and is just a title that came into marshalls head in case anybodys wondering why its called toy soldiers

Is it not called Toy Soilders because he used a sample from a song called Toy Soilders? :confused:
  • MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be 'Toy Soldiers' by Martika by any chance? A hit a few years back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manko wrote:

It is, according to mp3.com.
    Forum Member
    Manko wrote:

Exactly, that's the one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Eminem really does play with my heart strings.
    I really liked The Real Slim Shady and Stan yet I hated Without Me and Lose It. Soldiers is sheer brilliance.
    After hearing all I could think was how great a poet he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's Martika, an artist that was a one hit wonder back in the late 80s I believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know where i can buy the original recorded album by Martika thanks!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have been more impressed if he'd based a song around Martikas kitchen! :)
  • MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've actually got the original somewhere up in the attic with my old 7 inchers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJenius wrote:
    SThat wasn't my intention, my intentions were good. I went through my whole career never once mentioning [Suge].

Thanks for that, I always wondered what that last word was meant to be. Great song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manko wrote:
    I think I've actually got the original somewhere up in the attic with my old 7 inchers!
    Do you know where i can buy it on cd ? thanks
  • GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martika is releasing a best of album on 17/1/05, presumably to cash in on the Eminem connection.

See here for play.com link.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GaryB wrote:
    Martika is releasing a best of album on 17/1/05, presumably to cash in on the Eminem connection.

See here for play.com link.
    Thanks for the link GaryB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnchild wrote:
    Is it not called Toy Soilders because he used a sample from a song called Toy Soilders? :confused:

oh shit! Thats what i heard anyway.

but im wrong :p:o
  • whohasmynameukwhohasmynameuk Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJenius wrote:
    Suge Knight, although there are referrences to Benzino and Murder Inc ( Ja Rule, Irv Gotti etc )

anyone know what the suge connection is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Dre and Suge Knight formed Death Row Records in the early 1990’s, but after several chart topping albums Dre left due to tensions with Knight.

Dre went on to form Aftermath Entertainment, now home to artists such as Eminem, 50 Cent and G-Unit, among others.
    And was allegedly supposed to be involved in the death of 2-Pac.

This info I got from research, I dont actually know the full story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    The name 'Suge' is blanked out in the song, maybe for legal reasons, or maybe because Eminem was afraid of Suge killing him :)

It's pronounced 'shug' in case anyone didn't know, and it's short for 'sugar-bear'! His real name is Marion! Oh shit, now he might kill me for mocking him :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its blanked out because of the line its in
    I went through my whole career without mentioning ...

If he had said his name, he would have then, er, mentioned him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    the suge knight stuff is really interesting, if you look for a film called "biggie and tupac" its a documentary and a Fantastic insight into Knight and deathrow. Knight once hanged vinilla ice over the side of a balcony in a hotel by his foot so it shows how bad this guy can be.