Sky One taking up more space

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has Sky One started transmitting in a higher bit-rate, or is some other content now being transmitted with the programmes?

The reason I ask is because before Christmas an hour long Sky One programme always used to take up 6%, but now they take up 8 or 9% instead.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed this. 30 minute programmes suddenly seem to take up 2% instead of the previous 1%.

Who gets the feeling with the current spate of recent lockups, freezes and failed recordings that Sky are secretly testing some new software?
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed this also... Jake 2.0 episodes take 10% for 69 mins (with padding)... Whilst I am happy if the picture quality will be higher I better get my arse in gear to get a bigger HD...

Perhaps this is to push people towards Sky+160 by making the normal Sky+ less able to take lots of shows??? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Two possibilities....

1. Dormant Dolby Digital Soundtrack. (Oh, if ONLY!)
    2. Recording of the red blob interactive content (I'm sure I read something about this)

-Jar.
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please god NO to Red Blob content!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Has anyone asked them formally?

I wonder if they are playing around with compression

I think i managed to record the Spooks "red stuff" the other day....perhaps this is linked to it?

At least Hitachi just announced they have invented a 500GB hard disk!..looks like we all may need one!
  • Paul_frm_MoscowPaul_frm_Moscow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Simple - they have higher MPEG2 bitrate for this chanell.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this weeks Battlestar Galactica used 9%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Just checked two of my recordings SG1 (59mins) 8% as opposed to Love Actually(143mins) 9% so something strange is going on.
    Gaz
  • ZebsZebs Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing this too, non-upgraded Pace v2
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen this when i recorded The Simpsons on SKY One both Episodes used 5%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded that worlds top 20 cars on SKY1 over xmas and it took 17% of a standard 40gig drive. The picture was stunning to say the least:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cynical ploy to get us to upgrade to Sky+160 :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they are going to use Sky One for HDTV tests.

Of course we will not see any real improvment with our kit.

Also as suggested perhaps they are about to go Dolby Digital 5.1

Automan.
  • Paul_frm_MoscowPaul_frm_Moscow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Stop the madness !!! Avg bitrate of regular chanell (e.g MTV) is ~4000kbps,
    Sky One (being flagship chanell of this provider) is say transmitted at 6000kbps.

Full stop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit out of order to me.

You are supposed to, according to the blurb, be able to record 20 hours on a 40GB drive.

I too noticed that Battlestar Galactica was 9% on Monday - for a 62 minute recording (I got a clash at the end).

That means I could only get 11 hours if I recorded Sky One all the time. 11 hours sucks.

I hope they give options if they do implement interactive/Dolby/HDTV, as I would rather have the hard drive space.

NB: I know that channel bitrates vary (a film on Sc-Fi is only half the file size of one on Premiere), and therefore 20 hours is a mute figure, but still...
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. stargate atlantis and sg-1 , on my original drive both exactly 60 mins long both now taking up 8%, they used to be 6%. in fact most 1 hour sky one programs where taking up 6%. i didn't pay any attention to battelstar galactica, but i expect that was larger too.

I've been trying out my old 120gb drive in my sky+, 10-15 hours is not enough and sky sports broadcast at the sort of bitrate anyway, still on that like on thought thats still 30-45 hours on a 120gb hd, and i think i may end up sticking with it or getting a new 250gb monster.

on the up side, Looks like sky one have upped their bit rate and are setting an example of what digital tv should be!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Braveheart, Sky One on Sunday 2nd Jan took an amazing 27% of my orginal HD for 203 mins. Time to install the 160 gig drive I got before xmas I think!

This equates to 900 Kbits/sec
    Five is about 700 Kbits/sec
    Most other entertainment channels are 600 Kbit/s, and is what the 20 hours on a standard Sky+ is calculated from.

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Stop the madness !!! Avg bitrate of regular chanell (e.g MTV) is ~4000kbps,
    Sky One (being flagship chanell of this provider) is say transmitted at 6000kbps.

Full stop.

fine, but simpsons used to be 3% and now 5%. something has changed in the last month, and i think that is what people are getting at. we are all aware that skyone has a good bitrate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they haven't upped the bit rate on Sky Mix, on Tuesday on Sky One I was pissed off when SG1 failed to record because the drive ran out of space - I had 9% free which should have been more than enough - but it only managed to record 51 minutes of the programme.

I recorded the same programme from Mix on Wednesday, and it took up 5%!

Maybe anyone having issues with drive space should record from Mix instead as a not-ideal solution?

As a side note, I have always found programmes from the BBC take up the most space (therefore have the highest bit rate). They usually take up 6% per hour, whereas on Sky One 60 minute shows used to take up 5%, sometimes as low as 4%. When I first got my Sky+ in 2003, Sky One used to take up 6% per hour, just like the BBC, but in (roughtly) the summer on 2004 they started taking up less room. The BBC has always taken up the same amount of room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    AlexD wrote:
    Well they haven't upped the bit rate on mix then, on Tuesday on Sky One I was pissed off when SG1 failed to record cos the drive ran out of space - I had 9% free which should have been more than enough - but it only managed to record 51 minutes of the programme.

I recorded the same programme from Mix on Wednesday, and it took up 5%!

Maybe anyone having issues with drive space should record from Mix instead as a not-ideal solution?

I had exactly the same problem with SG1. I had 10%, which would have been enough before Xmas. Unfortunately, I had my deletion set to Automatic, which meant my box kindly deleted the oldest programme I hadn't watched yet.

Is this just Sky simply giving all it's customers a reason to give them more money for a Sky +160?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Paul, you need to explain why its changed.

Are we all going to email Sky and ask them then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    is their an e-mail address that anyone knows of which will get a technical response :) and not a customer service :confused: response from. if so, let me know and i will see what i can get from them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zebs wrote:
    Yes, Paul, you need to explain why its changed.

Are we all going to email Sky and ask them then?

Yes! Lets do that. What email address do they pay attention to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but are some people actually thinking of complaining about higher bitrates and thus higher quality pictures:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried emailing skydigital@sky.com... bet I dont get anything sensible in reply! Will post it if I do

I couldnt see anything wrong with the old picture, so whats the point of a higher bitrate (other than making me want Sky+ 160.... bah :rolleyes: )