Options

Kids Dressing Like Adults

LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
Forum Member
✭✭
I was in a shopping centre at the weekend and saw a girl of no more than 7/8 wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "sex bomb" on it, short skirt, glittery tights and boots.

I then thought back to a a party that I took my daughter to during the summer; my eyes nearly popped out at the 'outfit' that one 12 year old was wearing. A skin tight, thigh-length black lycra creation with bits of her flesh hanging out at the sides, complete with heels.

Thongs are now common place for girls as young as this age - why??

I cannot figure the mentality of a parent who wants to dress their daughters in some of the stuff I have seen girls wearing. What is it they are trying to educate the children about themselves?

The 'sexualising' of our children is growing at an insidious rate, and many parents are 'buying' into it, thinking its cute to have little Chantelle Rose going out looking like a miniature Beyonce or Jo Lo. What's so amazing is that it is mainly the female parents who seem to find all of this acceptable.

Comments

• Options
    Lucian DevilleLucian Deville Posts: 1,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote:
    I was in a shopping centre at the weekend and saw a girl of no more than 7/8 wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "sex bomb" on it, short skirt, glittery tights and boots.

I then thought back to a a party that I took my daughter to during the summer; my eyes nearly popped out at the 'outfit' that one 12 year old was wearing. A skin tight, thigh-length black lycra creation with bits of her flesh hanging out at the sides, complete with heels.

I cannot figure the mentality of a parent who wants to dress their daughters in some of the stuff I have seen girls wearing. What is it they are trying to educate the children about themselves?

The 'sexualising' of our children is growing at an insidious rate, and many parents are 'buying' into it, thinking its cute to have little Chantelle Rose going out looking like a miniature Beyonce or Jo Lo. What's so amazing is that it is mainly the female parents who seem to find all of this acceptable.

Free country!!!

Everyone is educated to a degree - just shows some are more educated than others!!

Freedom of speech and freedom of dress is paramount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We only notice what adults are wearing - possibly becuase our children are grown up and we don't have young children anymore?

We remain humble!!

Lucian Deville
  • Options
    chocolatekisseschocolatekisses Posts: 11,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I complained to Woolworths for displaying thongs for kiddie girls - it's just not right. They apparently received lots of complaints and removed them :)
  • Options
    Lucian DevilleLucian Deville Posts: 1,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I complained to Woolworths for displaying thongs for kiddie girls - it's just not right. They apparently received lots of complaints and removed them :)

Hi Ck

Our society is on a roll!! However, the direction of the roll is not too good.

These days, 11 year olds behave like we did when we were 21, no kidding!

Parents have a large role to play in teaching social skills to their children - but most are not up to the task!!

We also acknowldge that even with the best will in the world and the most sensible parenting - kids will be kids and will demand the latest craze wether it's with the parents consent or not!!

Regards

LD
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. There is nothing wrong with girls wanting to enjoy themselves and sometimes wanting to wear more grown-up clothes, but there is a limit, and messages like "sex-bomb" on someone so young are not appropriate.
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess some people will talk about media pressure. I mean kids magazines happily advocate the wearing of thongs, sexy tops, make up etc. Parents seem to be facing an uphill battle to say no, but that's still a weak excuse.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done for complaining!

I'm of the opinion that the bad guys in all this are not the shop or the kids but the parents for being so moronic. Too many parents "sexulise" their children under the mistaken belief "it's cute". I'm sure their is a fine line , but who buys the tops for eight year olds with "too many boys so little time" ?
  • Options
    chocolatekisseschocolatekisses Posts: 11,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's prob down to peer pressure, keeping up with everyone else (plus some) and parents that can't seem to say no.

Some parents seem to give in far to easy these days and then it feeds the market.

I never had this problem when i was a young girl as i was brought up round bikers and therefore wouldn't be seen dead in a dress never mind a revealing one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as parents we have a duty to protect our children.
    Kids grow up far to quick these days. To dress them up
    as if they are in the lates teens must be a bad thing, it gives the wrong image to the wrong people. Let them stay kids for as long as you can. They can still dress cool without going over the top. My daughter is 12 years old she looks nice when shes goes out, but thong-low cut tops, no way
    Maybe when shes 17 or 18 lol.......
    Regards
    Anton B
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah sure there is nothing wrong with a 7 year old wearing a mini skirt, knee high boots and a t-shirt that says sex-bomb.........if you are trying to attract a paedophile.
    I used to work in a shop called Tammy Girl that sells clothes for girls from 6-15 and it is disgusting the type of clothes they sell and promote as being trendy for infant school children.
    Thongs and bras for 6 year olds, lycra mini skirts and cropped tops in fur and leopard print! Disgraceful. I would never let my daughter dress like a cheap prostitute, it is totally inappropriate and in my opinion shows a total lack of class. A prime example of Chav Scum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,268
    Forum Member
    SPARKLE1 wrote:
    I would never let my daughter dress like a cheap prostitute...
    But how about a high class call girl?
  • Options
    maximilianmaximilian Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to be a very recent thing doesn't it? When I was a 'Tweenager' as I think they are called I wouldn't have been seen dead in a skirt of any kind. Me and my girl pals were all total tomboys- jeans, trainers and the scruffiest jumpers we could find. Makeup didn't interest us in the slightest. Too busy messing about on the nearby farm or climbing trees.
    Childhood does seem to be passing a lot of these kids by. The parents are obviously to blame- my mother wouldn't have let me over the door wearing the gear they trot about in these days.
    I also think young girls have different role models than my generation did. Pop acts like Britney and Rachel Stevens are adult women fully entitled to parade about in their scanties. However, their fan base is not in the main adult. It's probably not even teenagers. I'd guess it's the 8-12 year olds. They are being marketed at kids. Kids want to emulate them. It all seems very cynical.

PS I always wanted to be Billie out the Double Deckers. If you're under 30 you won't have a clue! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midspan.......
    Not funny :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the wearing of thongs a comfort thing, not a sexual thing?? If a female of any age chooses to wear a thong, provided she's not flashing them to the world and his wife, really what is the problem? I don't get it!
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also makes it awkward for us with our eldest daughter as she is very tall, so needs clothes aged 3 years older than she actually is. So the problem is compounded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our girls are aged almost 15, 9 and 3 years old. We are lucky that, although the 15 year old choses her own clothes (I believe in giving them some freedom), she is sensible. She is more comfortable wearing jeans and nice tops.. something casual, not designer, but looks nice. Her and her friends are very much of the opinion that why spend a fortune on designer or revealing clothes, as if people only like them for what they wear then they dont want to know them anyway! And mention thongs to her and see cant see why anyone would want to wear them.
    My 9 year old is more into 'fashion', but she knows the limits and although choses some of her clothes when we are out shopping what we say goes and she knows that that is the way it is. I wouldnt buy her something she hated, but then she also knows I wouldnt let her have something I didnt think suitable.
    Maybe we are lucky, but I believe that parents still have the responsibility to ensure that their children dress appropriately.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our eldest still wants the sweat kids clothes, it is just so difficult to get them, as the ones designed for her age and what we consider appropriate for her age are too small, as she needs the size 3 years older than she is, so that means she is forced to wear clothes that are designed for an older child, and they seem to be even more in-appropriate.
  • Options
    Ice_BlackIce_Black Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Luxxy wrote:

I agree, it is too young for kid.

It is quite dangerous if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chavettes, were skimpy cloths to get their 18 year old boyfriends, very common for council estate kids.
  • Options
    sarah_o0osarah_o0o Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I saw a child dressed exactly that way in the supermarket on Saturday. Her mother was shrieking hysterically "oh my god it was actually broadcast - this is the actual script and it was actually broadcast". The child looked somewhat embarrassed and I can't say I blame her.

At the checkout, the mother was telling anybody who would listen that she was a 'recruitment manager' although heaven knows why she would want to make a noise about that.

I heard the child mutter something along the lines of "mummy does it have to be this way every time we leave the house?".

Poor kid. You can choose your friends but you can't choose your parents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was growing up I was heavily influenced by heavy metal & rock music, therefore I would not have been seen dead in anything skimpy, pink or leopard print! But then I don't recall any of my friends being much different, even the ones who listened to New Kids on the Block and Take That weren't wearing mini skirts and make up when they were 12.

Personally I think it's awful to see children dressing as adults and when, or if, I become a parent there's no way I'll allow my children to dress like that.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    Personally I think its really sad that the years a child gets to spend being a child are getting fewer and fewer. While parents who let their kids dress as adults have a lot to answer for the choice of clothes being offered to them for their children is bizarre to say the least. I was buying clothes for my 2 almost 3 year old niece and the only trousers / jeans I could get for her were hipsters! HIPSTERS for a 2 year old. WTF. A lot of TV that is shown early in the evening has a big influence on children too. One thing I think really needs to be changed is the airing time of soaps such as EE , Corrie etc. They are not suitable for children to watch yet are on very early in the evening considering the content.
  • Options
    lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 little girls aged 5 and 6 and I ensure that they are dressed appropriately. I am only 31 myself, so am not an old prude, but I think the parents are the main influence on what children choose to wear. When they are small it is your choice of what clothing they wear. If you dress them in mini-adult clothing, then that is what their taste will become and they will insist on wearing. My girls are dressed suitably for their age. They like to look 'pretty'. You can buy some really lovely and trendy looking items that don't have to expose half their flesh. There is the odd child in their classes that dress like Vicky Pollard at birthday parties with cropped tops, mini skirts and high heels, but the majority of them look like pretty little girls.

Let kids be kids. They grow up soon enough and then it really is their decision. However, hopefully if you have done the groundwork, they will make the right choices. But, in the meantime, parents and shops should give more thought on what their kids look like and the image they portray to others.

I do notice that a lot of shops arrange clothes from babies up to 3/4 years and then after that you get a range of clothes for kids from 4-15. Can a little 7 year old really carry off the same outfit as a 15 year old? I don't think so and they shouldn't be expected to.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a client whose premises are near the famed Cream Club in Liverpool and in the square are a number of night clubs. One Thursday evening a year or so back I was there at around 7 p.m. and saw a number of young girls dressed very revealingly approach one of the clubs and started to queue, within 20 minutes the whole area was full of similar dressed girls all could not have been more than 13 or 14, sorry the state of their dress was shocking and quite disconcerting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phwoah! wheres that club did you say? </evil>
  • Options
    Ice_MaidenIce_Maiden Posts: 59
    Forum Member

... the whole area was full of similar dressed girls all could not have been more than 13 or 14.
    chris chow said:

phwoah! wheres that club did you say? </evil>

Pervert.

---