Options

RDR-GXD500 Multi-Region Hack

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 668
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi. I've been told that the multi-region hack for the DVB DVD recorder, the Sony RDR-GXD500 is the same as the hack for the Sony DVP series. Could anybody with an RDR series DVD recorder confirm if the following hack works, please.

Get a One-For-All universal remote that has a DVD key and a "magic" key, such as the One-For-All-4.
  • Select DVD device on remote
  • Hold magic button until double flash on DVD key
  • Enter device code 0533
Now program function code 189 into button 1 like this:
  1. Hold magic button until double flash on DVD key
  2. Press 994
  3. Press magic button (don't hold)
  4. Press 189
  5. Press 1 - double flash indicates success
Advanced OFA remotes such as the Kameleon have five digit function codes, in which case, Press 00189 for step 4 above.
Now program function codes into buttons 2-5 like this:
  • Repeat steps 1-3, then 255 2
  • Repeat steps 1-3, then 095 3
  • Repeat steps 1-3, then 221 4
  • Repeat steps 1-3, then 079 5
Now the actual conversion of the recorder to region-free:
  • Put DVD recorder on standby and point remote at it.
  • Press 12345 - "SUCCESS" is displayed, and recorder starts up
  • Press 12345 - Recorder goes back to standby
That should be it. Clear the programmed keys on the remote by removing the batteries for a while.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Tried this on a GXD 700, works a treat. The only difference is that you get a "Timer OK" message instead of "Success".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final version of the hack is in this thread:
    forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=188047

I mention this because I've found that this old thread has a high Google rating.

It's annoying that the search facility is dysfunctional at the moment. I'd convinced myself that this thread had been deleted, and I created a near identical thread as a result.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose anybody would know if there is a similar hack for the Sony GX300?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we know that the hack works for the RDR-GXD500 and the RDR-GX700, and a bunch of the Sony DVD players, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work for the RDR-GX300. If you do try it, do mention the result in this thread, if you can manage to find it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it, it didn't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you follow the instructions for changing the command mode, which is in the final version of the hack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farry wrote:
    Did you follow the instructions for changing the command mode, which is in the final version of the hack?

Yep I did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. However, I've found info on the web that suggests to me that this hack should work. This one, for instance, which I am fairly sure uses the same five function codes, but generated with a different piece of kit.
    www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Sony+RDR-GX300

Which OFA remote did you use?

Were you able to switch the GX300 on and off with the power button on the OFA?

Did you watch out for the double flash on the DVD key that confirmed that you'd programmed the code correctly, after you'd programmed each of the five keys on the OFA?

Did you notice any response at all from the GX300 as you pressed keys 1 to 5? If so what? Did it power up when key 5 was pressed the first time? Did anything appear on the GX300's display?

Since the above link says that the code sequence was back to front on the kit that was used, maybe it's worth trying pressing 54321.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the "One For All 4 Digital". I set the DVD Recorder onto the VCR button and was able to control the DVD Recorder. Then I followed the guide. I got all the double flashes, but upon keying in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on standby, absolutely nothing happens.

I'll try backwards now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No luck on the backwards thing either.

Perhaps an odd occurrence, when I program the DVD Recorder into the Aux button and try to perform this, upon pressing 1, the VCR button lights up and not the AUX button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've checked the list of key codes for device 0533, and I can see that key code 079 that was assigned to key 5 is actually the standard code for power on/off.
    www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?DVD_0533

This means that the recorder could be converted to region-free by pressing 1 2 3 4 POWER, which would be identical to pressing 1 2 3 4 5. So if your recorder is not powering up when key 5 is pressed, then the key has not been programmed correctly. Are you SURE that you saw the double flash after pressing key 5 when you were programming the code into that key?

Before programming the VCR key as a DVD, did you follow the instructions in the OFA manual for changing the mode of the device key? If it's the same as the old OFA4, that would be: Hold magic for double-flash, 992 DVD VCR.

It's possible that the OFA4-Digital needs a different procedure for assigning key codes to the old OFA4. Have a look at these pages, and experiment with the various methods for setting the key codes. Remember that if you can get your recorder to switch on and off by pressing key 5, then you'll have got it right.
    www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/advanced.shtml
    www.hifi-remote.com/wasser/index.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, I didn't program buttons 2-5:

I saw the info about the Kameleon remotes and noted the lack of space beneath it, so assumed that those steps were only for Kameleon. Upon re-reading it carefully and performing everything as stated, I can confirm that it works.

That's what I get for rushing through it I guess heh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I am in the States and have attempted to follow the above instructions using both a One-For-All-4 and most recently One-For-All Kameleon8 remote. I have been unsuccessful in getting the GX300 to respond. After programming the keys
    1 thru 5 and then pressing 12345 - all that happens is the unit turns on and is attemting to load a dvd <I have tried this both with a DVD in the unit and with no DVD in it>. When I press 12345 the second time the unit turns off.

When I put a UK DVD in the GX300 the message I receive is that it is unable to read the title or cannot read ths disc.

I have gone thru the steps of programming the keys several times so I believe I have done that part correctly.

Also - I do have the GX300 remote set on DVD1.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taffin wrote:
    I am in the States and have attempted to follow the above instructions using both a One-For-All-4 and most recently One-For-All Kameleon8 remote. I have been unsuccessful in getting the GX300 to respond. After programming the keys
    1 thru 5 and then pressing 12345 - all that happens is the unit turns on and is attemting to load a dvd <I have tried this both with a DVD in the unit and with no DVD in it>. When I press 12345 the second time the unit turns off.

When I put a UK DVD in the GX300 the message I receive is that it is unable to read the title or cannot read ths disc.

I have gone thru the steps of programming the keys several times so I believe I have done that part correctly.

Also - I do have the GX300 remote set on DVD1.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

I think you are out of luck. My understanding is this hack won't work on any Sony Region 1 machines. (I'm assuming you have a US model, not an import).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it is a US machine - I appreciate you reply.

Any suggestions on how to get around this please?
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've seen on various forums Sony's US models aren't handset hackable, but I may have missed something so it's worth looking around.

Assuming you can't find a handset hack then you could look at a hardware mod. I've used Tridek for such mods in the past for but they are UK based and modify region 2 machines, I don't know who would be good in the US.

In the end it might prove easiest to buy a seperate cheap multi-region player. In the UK you can do that for less than the price of a hardware mod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions and the information.