Options

Analogue TV Switch Off Dates

Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
Forum Member
✭✭
The full timetable, subject to government confirmation, is shown in the table below.
Regional Order TV Region Proposed Date
1st Border 2008
2nd West Country 2008
3rd HTV Wales 2008
4th Granada 2009
5th HTV West 2009
6th Grampian 2009
7th Scottish TV 2009
8th Central 2010
9th Yorkshire 2010
10th Anglia 2010
11th Meridian 2011
12th Carlton/LWT 2011
13th Tyne Tees 2011
14th Ulster 2011
15th Channel 2012

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought the most populace areas should be first,
    a sort of as they were switched on,
    a la 1950's!
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the list, it looks like they are going on the basis of how close or far the areas are from mainland Europe. The west side of the country is being done far quicker than the east, and the south / south east is some of the last areas to be done. All to do with the interference and frequency / power clearence.

Andy
  • Options
    ipod_and_laptopipod_and_laptop Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    other points covered here
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's awful that we will have to wait until 2011 to be able to receive good DTT. Areas where there is lots of coverage should be done last as they can receive it already. I think the switchover should be done serving those with no signal already first instead of last.

Padzter :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my signal is crap. Who cares if we interfere with european channels as long as we use different frequencies? I'm all for getting foreign channels in the UK. Hell it would be good for kids in the future as they would be good at french as well :D
  • Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalcast.co.uk/?op=module&mod=articles&artid=18

I agree with you, DaMaNiAc, plonking them in front of the TV (as most seem to anyway), with a French channel from an early age, might well help them to become bilingual - I'd have thought?

Anyway, I'd jump at the chance at being able to speak more languages - it's something our government should promote, like other EU governments. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaMaNiAc wrote:
    Well my signal is crap. Who cares if we interfere with european channels as long as we use different frequencies? I'm all for getting foreign channels in the UK. Hell it would be good for kids in the future as they would be good at french as well :D

All of Europe uses the same frequencies, According to a paper online somewhere, in order to change a channel on the East coast, you need permission from, at least, the French, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Danes and Norwegians - and you can bet that they'll all want something in return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will somebody make a square TV with freeview built in?
    None of the European channels I watch are widescreen. What is the point in getting a widescreen IDTV? Don't want a freeview box because means looking after another remote.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how its going to happen with some areas needing aerial upgrades ect.. by 2008!!

And aspecaily older people how are they going to know how to use a freeview box!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    modern wrote:
    I don't see how its going to happen with some areas needing aerial upgrades ect.. by 2008!!

And aspecaily older people how are they going to know how to use a freeview box!

For the channels they have available at the moment - they wouldn't need an upgrade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    so, will I get more DTT channels after analogue switch off?? - mite get rid of sky then :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Just wondering why televisions with built in digital tuners aren't becoming more readily available.It seems daft that you can go out tomorrow and buy a television that if you live in the Border TV area will be obsolete in 3 years unless you add a box to it.Surely now it makes sense to put the digital tuners in the set at time of manufacture and as no scrambling system is in theory necessary it shouldn't add much more to the overall cost of a set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samtron wrote:
    Just wondering why televisions with built in digital tuners aren't becoming more readily available.It seems daft that you can go out tomorrow and buy a television that if you live in the Border TV area will be obsolete in 3 years unless you add a box to it.Surely now it makes sense to put the digital tuners in the set at time of manufacture and as no scrambling system is in theory necessary it shouldn't add much more to the overall cost of a set.

Sony are just starting to that now with sets over 28" (I think), See here go to the update and scroll down.
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=190785