Options

Moving house and need new ISP - Who's the best?

I'm going to be moving house in just over a month and will need a new ISP.

Currently i am on NTL broadband (cabled) but my new house doesn't have NTL cable access.

So my options are only really connect up through a BT line.

BUT what/who are the best people to go with?

Options so far:
AOL - £17.99 a month for 512k no download limit.
BT - look crap
Wanadoo - got a download limit of something crap.

But just saw a NTL freedom package which is 512k broadband with unlimited download that has the 3-2-1 telephone on pay as you go for £16.99 a month. Now this sounds pretty good or is there something i'm missing here?
I take it the broadband is always on and you don't pay for the time you're on it, just for phone calls you make with the caller prefix?

What i don't understand is for their 512k broadband service you have to pay £17.99 a month and there is a 5gb cap, weird!!

So at the moment i seems to have either AOL or NTL as the options?

I don't need more than 512k really (unless its like a few quid more) don't really want a cap but 10gig or more would be more than sufficient.

Anyone else have any ideas/advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    Well, not forgetting, anything you get over a BT line - you gave to pay BT line rental of £10.50 a month.

I'm pretty sure that NTL Freedom's 512k package is always 5GB a month capped.

If I was to go onto ADSL, I'd go with ADSL4LESS(.co.uk) - dirt cheap, and I've never heard any complains. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    NTL webpage says that freedom 512 is unlimited download

https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/bundled/package_01_Broadband321.aspx

sounds a bit too good to be true.

I knew about the BT line rental, but thats life. I'm getting SKY+ so need a phone line as well

Had a look at ADSL4Less, but at £14.99 a month, they are only £2 less than NTL, and i'd have to pay a £58.75 setup fee.

NTL have free modem/setup, so would work out much cheaper?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus wrote:
    NTL webpage says that freedom 512 is unlimited download

https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/bundled/package_01_Broadband321.aspx

sounds a bit too good to be true.

I knew about the BT line rental, but thats life. I'm getting SKY+ so need a phone line as well

Had a look at ADSL4Less, but at £14.99 a month, they are only £2 less than NTL, and i'd have to pay a £58.75 setup fee.

NTL have free modem/setup, so would work out much cheaper?
    Well, certainly does say unlimited downloads!

You might as well. Calls will probably be a bit cheaper than BT, too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get bt broadband its going to be 24,99 dor a 2mbps service, but wth a 15gig limit
  • Options
    FreeViewRulesFreeViewRules Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go with one with no CAP. Broadband is cheap in most countrys those who put caps over here are just money grabbing ~'#'####'#'#
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mewes_2004 wrote:
    get bt broadband its going to be 24,99 dor a 2mbps service, but wth a 15gig limit
    One point - most people here pay £17.99, and most here like to use 30gig!

There's just no great solution, sadly. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Pipex. I believe it's £23.99 for 512k/unlimited. I stick it on work expenses :)
  • Options
    djscrivodjscrivo Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    ntl do asdl broadband and phone service on a bt line its called ntl freedom. that will be the best one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djscrivo wrote:
    ntl do asdl broadband and phone service on a bt line its called ntl freedom. that will be the best one.
    Sadly not - £17.99 a month for 512k, 5GB a month cap. Useless to me at least. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    One point - most people here pay £17.99, and most here like to use 30gig!

There's just no great solution, sadly. :(
    The one which is 17.99 is the 1GB limit, and has premium rate help, where on mine for 24.99 i get free help online and on phone and with a 15gb limit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worse thing is, aside from the stupid xGB a month cap, you also get tech support in India... Ah, bliss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I've had both Bt and Aol and Aol wins hands down. Bt have a capped limit, they disconnect your connection every so often and tech support is a nightmare. Aol on WinXP is very stable, unlimited means unlimited and tech support is free. So even if there is a problem that takes a while to fix you are not paying them for the priviladge. If it's a choice between these two go for the Aol free trial offers to see if you like their service. Oh and you can just use an Aol dialler to connect and then use programs of your choice.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want uncapped broadband I would say ukonline 2mb for £29.99, lower speeds uncapped I'd say pipex. Reasonable caps, BT broadband, £24.99 2mb with 15GB cap. Low usage high speed, I'd say nildram £17.99 2mb for small cap something like 1 or 2GB allowance. That should cover any persons's needs, all from reliable, good ISPs with a good speed and good price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mewes_2004 wrote:
    The one which is 17.99 is the 1GB limit, and has premium rate help, where on mine for 24.99 i get free help online and on phone and with a 15gb limit
    There is a difference between a 1GB per day limit on ntl, and a 15GB per month limit on BT!

Also ntl 0800 025 2000 hasnt let me down yet, so I at least dont see your point.
    -Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    so are we saying there is or isn't a cap on the NTL freedom service? From their site it looks like there isn't a cap but isn't jrhnewark saying there is?

As i'd like to keep my NTL emails, this may be the way to go. I'm not a heavy downloader, but just think 1-5gig may be restrictive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annie2005 wrote:
    I've had both Bt and Aol and Aol wins hands down. Bt have a capped limit, they disconnect your connection every so often and tech support is a nightmare. Aol on WinXP is very stable, unlimited means unlimited and tech support is free. So even if there is a problem that takes a while to fix you are not paying them for the priviladge. If it's a choice between these two go for the Aol free trial offers to see if you like their service. Oh and you can just use an Aol dialler to connect and then use programs of your choice.
    You never get disconected on bt, i have my pc practically conncted 24hrs a day, never in that time does it cut out, and its as stable as fcuk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between a 1GB per day limit on ntl, and a 15GB per month limit on BT!

Also ntl 0800 025 2000 hasnt let me down yet, so I at least dont see your point.
    -Chris
    ya i know i was replying to somone saying about people on bt getting broadband for 17.99 i was mentioning that you get crap service on that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mewes_2004 wrote:
    You never get disconected on bt, i have my pc practically conncted 24hrs a day, never in that time does it cut out, and its as stable as fcuk

Didn't BT have a total outage for over 4 hours the other month for business ADSL customers? (The answer is yes).

Didn't BT have an outage of over 10 hours last weekend for all customers in the North West? (The answer is yes).
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also had an outage here down in london when my modem wouldn't sync with the exchange. But I think the truth despite these one-offs adsl is a lot simpler and more stable than cable. Also Bt responded quickly to it and finished as fast as they could. With ntl only doing things during workings hours, I'm sure a fault with them would take much longer to fix. Considering BT's natinal covrage I would say their record is quite impressive and apart from one outage on Sunday to midday Monday I have never had anything less than perfect service from Pipex and ADSL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, I agree samilshah - Pipex ADSL has been perfect for me, too. I wouldn't trust BT Openworld, however -- we have a business ADSL line at work, and it is going to struggle to reach 99% uptime this year.