Freeview PVR (Topfield TF500/5800) (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
:cool: HI There , I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Topfield TF5000pvrt , And if so is there a UK version for the freeview digital terrestial system. This unit is a twin tuner pvr. info can be found at : http://www.topfield.co.kr/ . Sorry this is in the wrong thread.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    :cool: HI There , I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Topfield TF5000pvrt , And if so is there a UK version for the freeview digital terrestial system. This unit is a twin tuner pvr. info can be found at : http://www.topfield.co.kr/
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Looks good.

PVR with a CI slot (or 2) is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Like the way it also comes with USB... Not enough info online but would be great if it could be used for more than updating the software... Ie transferring data from the PVR to a PC for DVD burning.

The Australian website is a little easier to navigate...

www.topfield-australia.com.au

Here is a direct link to the Brochure...

www.topfield-australia.com.au/downloads/TF5000PVRT/pdfs/TF5000PVRt%20brochure.zip
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've heard there will be a UK version, but it'll be a lot lot more expensive than the current batch of PVRs. The Inverto and Panasonic are reasoable value for what you get, but I think this is a little over priced (or will be)

http://www.topfield.co.kr/data/product/manual/TF5000PVRt(Except Australia)1.0.pdf is a link directly to the manual but it's a European model that's described. From the few bits and pieces I've heard it'll be 160Gb.

MPEG-2 digital and fully DVB-T compliant
    Digital Terrestrial Receiver with CI and HDD
    2 Common Interfaces for CONAX, CRYPTOWORKS, IRDETO, NAGRAVISION, SECA & VIACCESS
    2 tuners
    Recoding capacity: 44 hours for 4Mbps stream with 80GB HDD
    Powerful trick mode supported
    Playback of the selected region repeatedly
    Capable of dual decoding (PIP)
    Capable of dual recording and playback
    Capable of time-shifting & dual recoding
    MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3) decoding
    USB2.0 supported for fast PC interface
    2000 TV & radio services programmable
    Service switching time less than 1 second
    Service list editing( for Europe Only )
    Favorite Service list editing
    True-color On-Screen Display (OSD)
    Full Picture In Graphic (PIG) function
    Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for on screen service information
    Subtitle supported
    Teletext supported by VBI insertion and software emulation
    Parental lock facility by service and program event
    Program and service information transfer from receiver to receiver
    Exciting games embedded
    2 SCARTs and RCA A/V output
    S-Video output
    RF-modulator(PAL/NTSC) output
    S/PDIF for digital audio or Dolby AC-3 bitstream output

e-brochure can be found here:
    http://www.topfield.co.kr/data/product/brochure/TF5000PVRt.pdf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    It's not the most beautiful of beasts, but I suppose if it does the business...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised its taken this long for the UK to catch on to the Topfield 5000. We've had them in Australia for quite a while now and every one that owns one loves it. Bear in mind that all DVB-t services here are unencrypted. You can read more about the experience at the DBA forums. Watch out for pay services - you will need to purchase a CAM as well as the box.
    Forum Member
    Looks good.

PVR with a CI slot (or 2) is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Like the way it also comes with USB... Not enough info online but would be great if it could be used for more than updating the software... Ie transferring data from the PVR to a PC for DVD burning.

The Australian website is a little easier to navigate...

www.topfield-australia.com.au

Here is a direct link to the Brochure...

www.topfield-australia.com.au/downloads/TF5000PVRT/pdfs/TF5000PVRt%20brochure.zip

Hi there many thanks for your reply. I have read on a Australian forum that the USB is for connection to a PC for up loading recorded material from the hard drive. The serial port is for upgrading the software that runs this machine. I do not think I should say this but I have heard that the UK version of this machine will be called a TF5800pvrt. And is coming to the UK soon. But I will take that with a VERY BIG pinch of salt. As I have been there with both the Inverto and the panasonic.
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised its taken this long for the UK to catch on to the Topfield 5000. We've had them in Australia for quite a while now and every one that owns one loves it. Bear in mind that all DVB-t services here are unencrypted. You can read more about the experience at the DBA forums. Watch out for pay services - you will need to purchase a CAM as well as the box.

I do agree this box seems like just the ticket but a bit pricey. In saying that if it were in the UK this would be the unit I would buy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    How much will it cost? And when will it be available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows :) It looks like it'll have a £299 retail but as far as I know theres not even a confirmed importer of it yet .. it's just sorta in the works, watch this space kind of thing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's alright, all of ours are unencrypted as well :) Well, saying that there is one subscription service available but from early reports this will be compatible.
    Forum Member
    Search on eBay brings back German sellers

There is also a german site

http://www.topfield.de

Right continent at least :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identical specification :)

The spec quoted above was from the "European (English)" manual even though it came from the .kr site
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    The main importer distributor will be http://www.turbosat.com they are official topfield people. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think they was going to tell anyone yet :)
    Forum Member
    Wow! £469 for the Sat version. I think I'll be waiting for the Inverto or Fusion models!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is rather odd, are sat versions normally more expensive ? I could have sworn it was going to be around £299 retail .. perhaps not :)
    Forum Member
    There have been a few boxes sold in Australia that claimed to complete with the Topfield 5000. To date, not one of them has lived up to their claims.

Does Topfield 5000 miss a feature you like? Well, you could always try writing a TAP to extend the functionality of the unit. No other box out there that I am aware of lets you write your own programmes for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    This is an awesome little unit. The USB download is a great feature.

matt
    Forum Member
    Firmware updates can be done via USB. Files (mp3s, movies etc) can be up and downloaded with the USB port. If you think its too slow, you can always take the hard disk out of the box and put it in your PC and use one of the several tools for copying data to / from the hard disk.

But for lack of MHEG support in the unit sold in Australia, it wouldn't at all surprise me if you could buy one intended for Australia and get it working over there. You would have to manually define centre frequencies and bandwidths for UHF since Australia uses 7MHz UHF channels. If a fully loaded EIT is transmitted over there, the EPG feature of the box would work nicely. The Korean Topfield site lists European firmware for the box, so even tuning may not be an issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

For those intersted the official distributor of this machine will be turbosat.com

After emailing them this is the reply I got;

Dear Sir
    We are hoping to have the TF5800T in stock in about 21 days the price will be around £259.00 this is for the 160gb model
    Regards

David Macauley

Finance Director
    Turbosat International Ltd.

:) WOW 160g thats more like it, although I am yet to find out if this UK model will have CI slot! will post back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Now that does sound interesting... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    stuart62 wrote:
    Wow! £469 for the Sat version. I think I'll be waiting for the Inverto or Fusion models!

Will Inverto and Fusion be offering sat versions? I get freesky, and would like to get a PVR that works with that, but I don't want to pay a £10/month subscription. Getting an aerial is a hassle as well, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting on news of a CI slot, and to a lesser extent whether the USB can download to PC
    Forum Member
    There's another thread about this here and it seems that they will be in stock within 3 weeks or so with an RRP of £269 for a 160Gb hard disc!

Now that's more like it! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    If it can do TUTV, has 160GB HDD and USB connection, then it pretty much blows the Panasonic and Inverto out of the water - before they are even out! I won't be acepting bets on which one is out first though! :D