Sweet Sixteen

timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are the BBC taking the piss?

They have stuck subtitles on the film.

They are from Greenock not Outer Mongolia.

I don't remember subtitles on Brookside.

:mad: :mad:

Comments

• Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was the BBC - there was a cinema version with subtitles too. I can understand the accents OK, I just think the sound is really low. You can hardly hear them some of the time over other things going on at the same time.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the DVD and the sound on it is fine.

The BBC should be showing the film it is meant to be shown.

888 is there if people want subtitles.
  • itv-rocks!itv-rocks! Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my god this is a crap film :yawn:
  • ray777ray777 Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isnae very f**kin' good. I cannae f**kin' watch it anymore, jimmy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv-rocks! wrote:

Well turn it over to ITV then. :rolleyes:

Thelma and Louise, Jordan and Peter : Laid Bare or PD James: A Mind to Murder await you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ray777 wrote:
    It isnae very f**kin' good. I cannae f**kin' watch it anymore, jimmy!

Jesus H, I would have thought the Irish had been descriminated enough that they wouldn't do it to others.

Obviously not. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I don't know if the film had subtitles in the cinema - i never went to see it - I'm not really a Ken Loach fan (although, Ae Fond Kiss was fantastic, but I saw that as a freebie!).

Anyway... I think it's ridiculous. I don't have any figures to back it up, but I'm sure most houses in the country have teletext or digital subtitles available to them. Surely that would be the better option?

I'm from Edinburgh. I speak quite well, and the accents used in SS are as alien to me as the scouse, brummie or deepest devonshire accents. That said, I do find it VERY patronising that there are subtitles printed on screen. Grr.

Anyway... on an 'artistic merit' note, I think Loach's insistence of using 'real people' rather than actors is a bad move. The mother, for example, can't act - and appears to be a submissive wet blanket, when I feel that's actually just a result of the director saying "just play it natural" and leaving the 'actor' with no natural sounding dialogue (ad libbing from someone who can't sounds far worse than bad acting!).

I used to work in the prison service, and have seen 'amateur' training videos... the scene in the stairwell where Liam is shouting 'gimme the gear' and the bad guys are shouting back reminded me of a very amateur looking hostage training video - "gimme the keys ya bastard"... lots of shouting and getting angry, but very little acting!

Anyway... I'll reserve judgement! It's got another hour to go!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I am seething!!

Look Pop Princess the BBC partly funded this film. Yes there was a version with subtitles but I understand these subtitles did not last for every reel.

I am so offended by this.

Me thinks that Roly Keating is in for a large mailbag over the next wee while....all with Scottish postmarks.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    itv-rocks! wrote:

I think (in the Greenock patter) what you mean is 'this is pure pish man'.

The 'acting' gets worse...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    edinblokie wrote:
    I think (in the Greenock patter) what you mean is 'this is pure pish man'.

The 'acting' gets worse...

Don't kind yourself on there edinblokie,
    'this is pure pish man'
    is Edinburgh patter too!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the IMDB

Trivia: The word "f**k" and its variations are used 313 times
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what the BBC are saying is people from Scotland can't speak correctly, someone at the BBC should be shot, I'm having no problems whatsoever.
  • Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Laird wrote:
    I am seething!!

Look Pop Princess the BBC partly funded this film. Yes there was a version with subtitles but I understand these subtitles did not last for every reel.

I am so offended by this.

Me thinks that Roly Keating is in for a large mailbag over the next wee while....all with Scottish postmarks.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Believe me I agree with you. I am from Glasgow so the subtitles are very unnecessary for me. Apparently thick Glasgow accents need subtitles whereas other dialects don't. I don't think I have ever seen a film on British TV with full subtitles for people who don't speak the same local dialect as the location of the film. Maybe the English/Welsh/Irish viewers are grateful they are there? I was just pointing out that there was a cinema version like this too.
  • itv-rocks!itv-rocks! Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subtitles or no subtitles, it wont make the film any better!

Its a bit Dogme 95, only 7 years too late.

Must be part of the "Dogshit 02" manifesto :D
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I've clearly been beaten to it here, but as I've posted elsewhere (and apologies for those who've already seen it):

What the hell do BBC2 think they're doing, subtitling Sweet Sixteen? It's on right now, and was a critically acclaimed film when it was released, but because of the broad Scottish accents, the network have determined that viewers down south won't be able to understand them. I think that's highly offensive to those of us up here, and underestimating the intelligence of viewers down south.

Do you see ITV subtitling Taggart? I find many English accents tricky to understand at times but I don't see BBC Scotland adding subtitles to network programmes.

An absolute joke BBC2.

It does sum up how important it is that ITV in Scotland remains in Scottish hands, if this is the short-sighted nonsense that the M25 mafia subject us to.

Get your complaints in now people.
  • DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few friends with very strong glasgow accents, but there were some parts of this film i found hard to grasp. The subtitles were a bit offputting, but i'm sure they were needed by many English people, who in my experience usually have great difficulty understanding Scottish/Northern Irish accents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv-rocks! wrote:
    Subtitles or no subtitles, it wont make the film any better!

Its a bit Dogme 95, only 7 years too late.

Must be part of the "Dogshit 02" manifesto :D

You have already been told where to go.

Your comments aren't welcome here.

This thread is about the BBC choosing to show subtitles not whether or not the film is any good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few friends with very strong glasgow accents, but there were some parts of this film i found hard to grasp. The subtitles were a bit offputting, but i'm sure they were needed by many English people, who in my experience usually have great difficulty understanding Scottish/Northern Irish accents.

But like I said before that is what 888 is there for.

They didn't need to idiot proof the film.
  • ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote:
    I think that's highly offensive to those of us up here, and underestimating the intelligence of viewers down south

You make a good point and I wouldn't want to dispute any of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Unfortunately, although you have correctly identified the problem, moaning and complaining won't solve the problem.

As long as Scotland retains its position as the only country in Europe content to exist without its own dedicated public television service, this is the sort of thing you'll have to learn to put up with.
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't be advocating independence for Scotland (or at the least a devolved TV service) would you? As an advocate for independence, I would struggle to disagree with you. However, in theory we are part of the UK, and as long as we are each part of the UK should be treated equally. I would find it equally as stupid if this treatment was dished out to a programme made in Wales, Northern Ireland or even the north of England.

Next week - Heartbeat with sign language.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote:
    You wouldn't be advocating independence for Scotland (or at the least a devolved TV service) would you? As an advocate for independence, I would struggle to disagree with you. However, in theory we are part of the UK, and as long as we are each part of the UK should be treated equally. I would find it equally as stupid if this treatment was dished out to a programme made in Wales, Northern Ireland or even the north of England.

Next week - Heartbeat with sign language.

In theory, what you say is quite correct. In fact, the BBC is an English network transmitted throughout the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALANM wrote:
    In theory, what you say is quite correct. In fact, the BBC is an English network transmitted throughout the UK.

There was me thinking it was the British Broadcasting Corporation as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote:
    There was me thinking it was the British Broadcasting Corporation as well.

An easy mistake to make but how British is it when 99.9% of programmes broadcast by BBC Scotland are produced in England?

And why is it that almost all of the news and sport is broadcast from London?
    Forum Member
    Well to be fair, virtually all of the people watching it live in England. There's a case for a Scottish Six, or for more regional programmes, but I don't think we can argue with most of the programming coming from England.

However, making stupid mistakes like subtitling Scottish programmes is unforgivable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote:
    An easy mistake to make but how British is it when 99.9% of programmes broadcast by BBC Scotland are produced in England?

And why is it that almost all of the news and sport is broadcast from London?

Anyway, back on topic...