freeview on ntl cable plug

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,205
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have a plug from ntl in my wall from wihich i used to recieve ntl digital cable.
i have heard that u can use this to get normal channels.
is it possible to get freeview channels if i get a freeview set top box.

Comments

• jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no it will not work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Yes it will work,

I returned to NTL after a spell with Sky, I got NTL dig downstairs and paid £50 to have new tel phone and cable wall sockets put in every room.. The engineer even hooked up the kids bedroon TV's to get 1-5 with cable quality.

I asked him if this was allowed , and his reply was don't listen to everyone on Digital Spy as I am a member there also, it causes no cable interference what so ever and it is NOT illegal and never will be, he also told me thqat NTL basically have no interest in catching anyone with old black boxes that are chipped as the will naturally become obsolete..so enjoy it while you can.

But I asked him even if I do not subscribe to NTL after a year can I still get channels 1-5 and the answer was yes, in fact if you don't believe me phone NTL, I did and same response "no problem" so there you have it.

Scotty
    Forum Member
    Sorry did not read original post correctly, not all channels are received...when enginner tuned in kids tv's I got 1-5 , E4, E4+ Sky news,ITV News, BBC 24, CBeebies and the like.

That's all.

scotty
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you got sockets in every room for £50? NTL officially told you no problemo to send feedback noise down into the netowrk? NTL officially told you that they don't care about old chipped boxes? Engineer tuned in your tv's to illegally receive channels?

ehhhhhh...nup. I don't think even NTL are that stupid for all of that to be true.

Note: to MODs, this question comes up time and again, can't you put a closed sticky onto one of the cable boards?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there not an isolator in the garden that stops interference passing back to the network?

I'm also fairly sure if this so-called theory of interference was true that TW would be in deep trouble around here, they left my wire hooked up to my TV when I dropped analogue- plenty of other have dropped cable so if the same is replicated in their living rooms I dare say no-one can recieve cable in my street any longer due to this "interference".

As for legality if their own engineer did it then you've not tampered with their network in any way.
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well how comes when I remove my smart card then, it doesn't let me view any channels at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jfman wrote:
    Is there not an isolator in the garden that stops interference passing back to the network?

I'm also fairly sure if this so-called theory of interference was true that TW would be in deep trouble around here, they left my wire hooked up to my TV when I dropped analogue- plenty of other have dropped cable so if the same is replicated in their living rooms I dare say no-one can recieve cable in my street any longer due to this "interference".

As for legality if their own engineer did it then you've not tampered with their network in any way.
    there is no filter that knows the difference between interfearence and return path data traffic, they cannot just simply block it without destroying all the "digitalness" of the network.

Most tv's cause interfearence as they are not specifically designed for ntls network, you need to know what your doing if you want to go connecting things, and at any rate it is agenst the ntl terms and conditions to do it anyway.

scottyboy, you are refering to the analogue channels that you can pick up if your tv has a built in cable tuner, not the freeview channels. NTL do not pump the freeview channels onto there network as the set top boxs would not be able to pick them up anyway, so what would be the point in using up there own bandwith for something that they would make no profit and would take up room on the achall digital network.

If you want ntl digital tv, go pay for it!!.
    -Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have cancelled my cable two weeks ago (now have Freeview and TopUp with an indoor ariel) and the engineer who collected my analogue box (no digital in Westminster) hooked up my TV straight to the white NTL box on my wall giving me 1-5, Sky One, News24 BBC Parliament and TVE.

I asked him if this was legal and he said yes. As for interference on the network he said the whole thing is an urban legend. He made the point that no interference is caused on any cable networks in Ireland, where the exact same technology is in use as in the UK but televisions are hooked up directly wthout any box. The same goes for all European Countries as well as the USA and Canada ever sine they started using cable-ready tv sets.
    He said the only reason why analogue cable boxes survived for such a long time in the UK is due to the fact that most cable channels are put on VHF while UK tv sets do not have VHF tuners.
  • jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the origanal psot was asking if he could plug the white ntl cable into a freeview set to box, and the answer is no as it will not pic up nothing.
  • JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    You can't plug a Freeview box in, it'll get nothing.

You can plug a normal TV in - it'll get channels 1-5 and maybe others.

Plugging a normal TV in, does, however, send interference back into the network.
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well how comes my TV doesn't show anything when I remove my smart card then?
    Forum Member
    Well how comes my TV doesn't show anything when I remove my smart card then?
    Because you're using an STB...

We're talking about putting the coax-in into the back of the TV (the RF socket). That's when you'll get channels 1-5 and maybe others.

The OP hasn't got an STB - he's got a normal TV (and a useless DTT box that won't get anything from the NTL network). :)
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    You can't plug a Freeview box in, it'll get nothing.

You can plug a normal TV in - it'll get channels 1-5 and maybe others.

Plugging a normal TV in, does, however, send interference back into the network.

Come on!!!

If 2 DIFFERENT people said that their engineers said that it is legal and does not send interference into the NTL network, I think i'd believe the people WORKING for NTL, rather than people who listen to rumour.

How does a TV set send interference anyway? It can't. It has a TUNER, not an RF MODULATOR!!!
    Forum Member
    ntlhellworld, I think you miss the point....I have NTL digital legally and yes although I don't pay for it as I got it for nowt for a year i am doing nothing wrong, with due respect in this instance I am more likely to listen to an official NTL engineer and an NTL customer service rep.

Why not do what I done, take free NTL dig for a year if taking Talk Unlimited, ask NTL to fit boxes (cable and telelphone ) in every room in house £50.

To retiterate the point the NTL engineer AND NTL themselves say that it is okay, do you honestly think an engineer would set himself up that like spouting nonsense and then tell me if I did not believe him to phone NTL.

I have to say on this occasion I'll believe NTL, and to yourself and all make fleeting remarks like "go pay for it" I say this I pay for everything I get, what hacks me off is to see all the new customers getting good deals, this is not unique to telecomunications.

If you ask for something and are pleasant when you do so you will get it, service providers do NOT want to lose business, example.

I also have full Sky package £41, phoned them up asked any offers not to cancel Sky, reply three months free Sky with no obligation to take out new contract. Saving £123

Vodafone, you can renew two months before contract is up and then get new top of range phone and 6 months half price line rental, therefore in nearly seven years of being customer I only pay 4 months full line rental per year and when I get new phone sell 10 moth old one on ebay, overall I end up quids in.

I am not a meanie, I just know how to play the system in a way that it benefits me, legally I hasten to add....I could of on many occasion had a hacked box, but I would not for two reasons.

1) It is theft.
    2) My Mrs is a cop, you can imagine how that would look.

So please chill out

Scotty
    Forum Member
    Come on!!!

If 2 DIFFERENT people said that their engineers said that it is legal and does not send interference into the NTL network, I think i'd believe the people WORKING for NTL, rather than people who listen to rumour.

How does a TV set send interference anyway? It can't. It has a TUNER, not an RF MODULATOR!!!
    a) Please don't shout at me, and b) please read up on the workings of a TV before you spout un-truths. :mad:

I have done it in the past and would do it again.

BUT - there's no consensus as to whether it's legal or illegal. I'd argue it's totally legal, as the signals are not encrypted.

FACT - of course it sends interference back into the network - there's no filter! Tuners do send interference back up the line, hence why TV licensing vans work. Every TV has a local oscillator. Every local oscillator in a TV emits a signal 39.5MHz above the frequency of the received signal.

So guess what? If you happen to have a channel at 100MHz, and 140Mhz is used for something - you're in deep do-do - or it could be your neighbours in that do-do - anyone on the localised network.

Do you understand now? Good. If you'd care to have Googled (due to the fact you didn't have prior knowledge), you'd have been able to stop yourself posting such falseness.

I've a feeling that you're trying to talk about bypasses, not splitters, anyway. NTL often fit bypasses, but rarely fit splitters. Bypasses don't radiate interference back up the cable, splitters do. We're talking about splitters, and direct connections here.

One more time - splitters and direct cable connections to the TV DO blast an interfering signal back up the cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    "he also told me that NTL basically have no interest in catching anyone with old black boxes that are chipped as the will naturally become obsolete..so enjoy it while you can"

Wot !!!
    A bit like BBC dont mind people not paying for their TV license

You wont be laughing when they come knocking on your door !

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jfman I know it works!, but it does cause interfearence to (lets be honest) people who deserve it more than you do - ntl customours.

While the ntl installer and customour support may have not objected to it, im sure if a ntl network tecknition (if they have any left) would have removed it and proberly told you off for not installing either a offical ntl passthrough or a filter that are avalible from maplin for about £2.

Also from the ntl website:
    http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential

Section 9.5 Residential Terms & Conditions:
    "Nobody other than our representatives may tamper, add to, modify or interfere with the Equipment in any way. As well as any other rights we may have."
    -Chris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact I'm in a TW area, I didn't install anything, they connected it up when they left. I didn't touch a thing.
    Forum Member
    jfman wrote:
    Apart from the fact I'm in a TW area, I didn't install anything, they connected it up when they left. I didn't touch a thing.
    I agree. It appears to me that it's at least standard NTL practice (if not also TW), for technicians, when removing an STB, to fit a coax plug to the end of the cable, and use it as the 'aerial'. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that still dosent make it right though!, if you have read on these forums then you know that it is going to cause disruption, you should take it upon yourself to disconnect it, negligence is not a defence.

If a tecknition gets a complaint from a customour that there is interfearnce, then they find that your house is the source of the disruption, they are well within there bounds to disconnect it at street level.
    -Chris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on!!!

I work for ntl. I'm an engineer not an install tech. It causes interference. Are you now a believer?
    Forum Member
    Mmmmmmmmmm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for ntl. I'm an engineer not an install tech. It causes interference. Are you now a believer?

I'm not saying you'tr not who you say you are but being told this by an actual NTL person in my house

"He made the point that no interference is caused on any cable networks in Ireland, where the exact same technology is in use as in the UK but televisions are hooked up directly wthout any box. The same goes for all European Countries as well as the USA and Canada ever sine they started using cable-ready tv sets."

counts more for me than something I read on a message board on the web. Especially if it makes sense. And he was right - there are no cable boxes on Ireland's NTL networks. TV's are hooked up straight to the box on the wall just like anywhere else in Europe.
    Forum Member
    LondonW1 wrote:
    I'm not saying you'tr not who you say you are but being told this by an actual NTL person in my house

"He made the point that no interference is caused on any cable networks in Ireland, where the exact same technology is in use as in the UK but televisions are hooked up directly wthout any box. The same goes for all European Countries as well as the USA and Canada ever sine they started using cable-ready tv sets."

counts more for me than something I read on a message board on the web. Especially if it makes sense. And he was right - there are no cable boxes on Ireland's NTL networks. TV's are hooked up straight to the box on the wall just like anywhere else in Europe.
    That's because they have filters between the TV and the coax cable!!

No filter = interference, filter = no interference. :)
    Forum Member
    Sorry to go on guys, sorry I joined in now.

Who gives a ????

If engineers "sorry install tech's" say it's okay and so do customer services then that's good enough for me,

Do it if you want !!!

If it was a problem I am sure that NTL after listening to advice from engineers such as "Proppinupthebar" would have done something about it , it is obviously not a concern, come on guys get real and chill out..if it was really a problem as some would suggest do you really think NTL engineers "sorry install tech's" would advise, I think some do the install tech's a diservice.

And no propinupthebar I don't believe you , then again if you care to show me say evidence or copies of internal paperwork or maybe even some tech sheet or data then maybe......till then naaaaa I think I will believe

Install Tech's &
    Customer Service.

Scotty :)