Sutton Coldfield, ITV3 EPG and Phantom Channels (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just noticed that I am now receiving 24 hours' worth of EPG info for ITV3 from Sutton Coldfield. When did this start and is it indicative of the return of the ITV News channel?

Also, the list of "phantom channels" has now grown to include more ex-onDigital channels including Sky Sports 3, Carlton Cinema, Nick/Paramount and more. Who is responsible for broadcasting this mis-information? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Also getting loads of phantom channels from Sutton including Moive Channel!! So the EPG person can't spell either! Only noticed this since getting Sony DVD Recorder with Freeview so just thought was a bug of some sort in the sony DVB receiver in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that Sony boxes are keen to expose all channel info, no matter how minimal it is. One of the phantom channels doesn't even have a name!

The question is, why hasn't this annoying problem been fixed? It's been like this for weeks now and appears to be getting worse!

Does anyone know who should be contacted over such matters?
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have seen this as well. The phantom channels appear to be eminating from the same MUX as Sky News, and some of them did have mis-spelt names just to confuse things even more lol.
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    Thank god! It has 24hr EPG info now!!!

Thanh
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    sdc395 wrote:
    I've just noticed that I am now receiving 24 hours' worth of EPG info for ITV3 from Sutton Coldfield. When did this start and is it indicative of the return of the ITV News channel?

I don't know about the EPG info, but the phantom channels probably indicate changes made to one of the multiplexes. As Central is the first region to get ITV News back on, then I would hazard a guess that the two are related.
    nickdenker wrote:
    Moive Channel

Interesting, this isn't even an old ITV Digital channel. Does it give you any information as to which mux it thinks it is on?

Chris
  • Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When this happens I believe it means that there is a fault on the mux. When the equipment was installed on the masts back in the on Digital days it was setup to the on Digital channel list. This sometimes causes this problem.

I think this is what happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Hi, i have also noticed this.

Also my Itv news channel epg returned last week so maybe it is starting to return!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Would this mean that the BBC Three might occasionally appear as BBC Choice (When not actually on the channel, but just browsing through) and that BBC Four might appear as "ITV Digital" ?? Well anyway, it is doing for me. Im in Birmingham (presumably Sutton Coldfield MUX too) and using Echostar 101+
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, linuxgeek. That has now happened to me too. This is b****y annoying.

BBC Three is now BBC CHOICE, BBC Four is now ITV Digital, CBeebies is now UK Horizons plus I've got a load of ITV Select channels, ntl and ITN.

Which idiot is running this mux??? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's a surprise, it seems Mux 2 is (at least partly) to blame. :rolleyes:

I've just given Digital 3 & 4 Ltd. a call. They say they'll call me back later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this seems to be a common problem happening at various times around the country....they are doing work on all transmitters at various times at the moment.
    yesterday, I "added channels" search and had 3 appear in the 800's...one of which was a duplicate of Five...in the evening they had gone.
    i know that's not related to what you're talking about...but these minor mis-haps are bound to happen until DTT settles down again...which could be along time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree, I'm afraid. There is no good reason for this to be happening. It's simply incompetence.

I could put up with the additional phantom channels but now it's messing with the names of the proper channels and must be causing some serious confusion for less technical viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Digital 3 & 4 called me back but only to ask me to call Freeview. This I have now done.

Freeview said they would look into it and I should expect a call from "someone fairly high up" to confirm that the problem was cured. Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a positive note, I'm now receiving 7 days' worth of EPG data for ITV3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I know i have said this before, and why the Sony STB does this, god only knows, but whenever there is a multiplex update... must have been caused by the E4 thing...

look what happens to my EPG

BBC THREE -> BBC CHOICE
    BBC FOUR -> ITV Digital
    five -> Channel Five

Also i have from EPG 800+

UK Gold
    Granada Plus
    men&motors
    Sky Moive Max
    MTV
    Sky Sports 2
    Adult Channel
    Brit Eurosport
    PLAY uk
    UK Style
    Discovery
    Nick/Paramount
    Sky Sports 3
    Carlton Cinema
    Sky One
    Sky Sports 1
    Sky Premier
    Cartoon Network
    ITV Sport Plus
    ITV Sport Select
    BBC NEWS 24
    BBC FOUR
    CBeebies
    ITVSelect Info
    ITV Select 1
    ITV Select 2
    ITV Select 3
    ITV Select 4
    ITV Select 5
    ntl
    TV Travel Shop
    ITN
    TelevisionX
    Adults Only 1
    Adults Only 2
    Adults Only 3

Quite a few channel placeholders still languishing around! ... were most of these part of ITV Digital days?
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I think they were.
    Ah, if only we had Sky One and Sky Movies on DTT these days.
  • nockie3nockie3 Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My BBC FOUR kept changing to ITV Digital, freaked me out. lol. thats the only one i noticed. What channel was that?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How fast is the Sony box???? Asking in that am trying to guage the age of the box design.

I wonder if it updated code from an ex Ondigital box.

Updated software is very often tag-on, meaning that existing settings/defaults etc are untouched. Even then this seems very strange.

I would seem stranger to me that this info is coming over the airwaves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i had this on a Ferguson box! FDT500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony is not getting this data from its own software! The channels are not hard-coded and this is a recent problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught this pic. Its with my phone so sorry about the quality...i had to grab it before it changed back to 'five' :D

Channel 5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things appear to have improved.

I'm no longer seeing channels like BBC THREE renamed and many of the phantom channels have disappeared. However, I still have the original nine phantoms (Sky Moive [sic] Max, Sky Sports 2, MTV, etc.)

Can others comfirm this?

I never got my 'phone call from Freeview, btw.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdc395 wrote:

Also, the list of "phantom channels" has now grown to include more ex-onDigital channels including Sky Sports 3, Carlton Cinema, Nick/Paramount and more. Who is responsible for broadcasting this mis-information? :mad:

Return of the ITV News Channel? From Crystal Palace, it never went!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Return of the ITV News Channel? From Crystal Palace, it never went!
    I know. This thread relates to Sutton Coldfield, hence the title.
  • Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this seems to be a common problem happening at various times around the country....they are doing work on all transmitters at various times at the moment.
    yesterday, I "added channels" search and had 3 appear in the 800's...one of which was a duplicate of Five...in the evening they had gone.
    i know that's not related to what you're talking about...but these minor mis-haps are bound to happen until DTT settles down again...which could be along time

Funny that you say that. I did a scan on my Sagem box yesterday and it found 170 channels!!! Today it's found 95.

I know at the moment, around here, that BBC 1 from Hull is now on 1 instead of BBC 1 from Leeds. BBC 1 from Leeds is now on 803. Same goes for ITV1. Now on 3 I have Calender East news, the news broadcast from Leeds can now be found on 800.