Jennifer Lopez- Talented or Not?

Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was wondering what people thought about JLo with ragards to talent? Ive already made my opinions on her attitude and the fact that she wears fur very clear. I had noticed that she rarely if ever sings live, so I was intreseted to hear her singing a duet on The Grammies with her hubby Marc Anthony. My good god, my ears are still recovering. He has a fantastic voice, but JLo, live? At best she sounds like a very average Kareoke singer, she would never get passed Simon Cowell on Pop Idol or The X Factor.

The way I see, it JLo is only succesful because she is one of those extremley determined, driven, probably ruthless individuals who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Madonna is also one of these people. I suppose you do have to admire people like that, even if they do have limited talents. I mean she's an almost as bad actress.

Comments

• The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what people thought about JLo with ragards to talent? Ive already made my opinions on her attitude and the fact that she wears fur very clear. I had noticed that she rarely if ever sings live, so I was intreseted to hear her singing a duet on The Grammies with her hubby Marc Anthony. My good god, my ears are still recovering. He has a fantastic voice, but JLo, live? At best she sounds like a very average Kareoke singer, she would never get passed Simon Cowell on Pop Idol or The X Factor.

The way I see, it JLo is only succesful because she is one of those extremley determined, driven, probably ruthless individuals who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Madonna is also one of these people. I suppose you do have to admire people like that, even if they do have limited talents. I mean she's an almost as bad actress.

She's ruthless and determined - not especially talented. Having seen piccies of her a) without make-up and b) pre rhinoplasty and crash-diet, she's not really 'all-that' either.
  • Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not exactly Latin looking anymore either. The hair is highlighted, her eyebrows are also lighter and thinner.

Ive never thought her especially beautiful. She's just an average looking woman with a skinny body and a fat backside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she is a good singer dancer or actress or having seen her in person that she is especially good looking-she seems to me to be one of those celebs who just become A list for no good reason......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her music... she isn't the best singer in the world, however i do think she has acting talent
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    She's ruthless and determined - not especially talented. Having seen piccies of her a) without make-up and b) pre rhinoplasty and crash-diet, she's not really 'all-that' either.

I think her ruthlessness and determination are indeed her talents. She's dragged herself out of the ranks of the equally, or more, talented by sheer will and determination. She's not the greatest singer in the world, dancer or indeed actress nor the best looking, but she's got a drive that many lack. I don't really have a problem with her, although I could live a long and happy live never seeing her mug in the papers/magazines again.
  • GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    I think her ruthlessness and determination are indeed her talents. She's dragged herself out of the ranks of the equally, or more, talented by sheer will and determination. She's not the greatest singer in the world, dancer or indeed actress nor the best looking, but she's got a drive that many lack. I don't really have a problem with her, although I could live a long and happy live never seeing her mug in the papers/magazines again.
    I agree. She is like many other people that have made a lot out of very little. I do dislike her diva attitude but she bothers me very little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed! I think you could say the same about Kylie and Madonna - neither of them have a particularly good singing voice or dancing ability and yet they have become phenomenally successful.. Actually, I like Madonna - she's one of the few people with ambition and drive and lack of talent that I admire.

Lopez has been lucky in her film career - )apart from Gigli) she has gobe for rom-coms that she knows are more likely to be popular, although she has done a few 'serious' roles (which I've never seen). I reckon she'll be the Liz Taylor of her day - no way current hubby will be the last!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all her songs, most of her films are a bit crap but that's not cos she's a bad actress, they're just crap.
    I think she's a good dancer but you can tell that it's because she trains really hard and not because she is just naturally gifted.
    She is stunning imo, but she is just the product of trainers, nutritionists, stylists and make up artists, as said before, looking at old pictures of her she wasn't that nice at all.
    Then again, the same goes for most of Hollywood. i wouldn't say there are that many "naturally beautiful" stars.
  • ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lopez actually :o but I do agree with many of these comments.

No, she's not the best singer/dancer/actress - but she is incredibly driven and determined and that's what I admire about her. She's certainly made the most of what she's got. From what I've read and programmes I've seen, her parents were incredibly strict and were totally against her dancing - they wanted her to become a lawyer (she was a good student) - but she defied them (which must have took some guts) - and look where she is today. She is amazingly sucessful at everything she does - including her clothes and perfume lines. However, from what she's said, I think her parents still wish she'd become a lawyer.

Having seen pictures of her when she was younger (I showed Mr SBGQ one of them - he had absolutely no idea who it was) it truly is amazing what make up artists, hairdressers and stylists can do - and I know some of the 'Latino' community aren't happy about how much she's changed - (but then again, look at Beyonce - she's blonde now - and how much have Girls Aloud changed in two years) however, I do think she's stunning and has a fantastic figure, which she admits she works hard to achieve, which is refreshing. I think it's great that she doesn't conform to the sterotypical LA image - she was the first for a long, long time - and is proud of her curves.

However, her relationship record lives a lot to be desired - although she has admitted recently that she doesn't like to be alone so I think that's part of it - I certainly don't think Marc Anthony will be her last husband either - she seems to me to want so desperately to be married and to have a family but keeps picking people who clearly aren't right for her. Her diva style demands also make me balk - but they wouldn't be so outrageous if she didn't keep trying to convince us all that 'she's real' or 'still Jenny from the block' when clearly she's not - as a 'block' resident said on a programme about her I watched - 'she ain't been round this block in a long time' :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Marc Anthony will be her last husband either. I think she is going for Liz Taylor's record( she's had eight hubby's so far) LOL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a big J Lo fan but the very first film I saw her in was Selena and I thought she was fantastic in that. I also liked The Wedding Planner but I'm not too keen on the other films she's been in.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a classic case of style over substance. Take away the make-up, the clothes, the 'eyebrow technicians' etc. and there wouldn't be a lot left.
    And her music is dire; middle-of-the-road crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether to believe half of these diva demands but they crack me up :D One of her TOTP 'riders' stipulated:

8 white dressing rooms for her and her entourage;
    each to be kitted out with 100 Jo Malone scented candles,
    a buffet of fried chicken, fresh fruit and organic orange juice; a bath of evian mineral water served at room temperature; cristal champagne, mirrors placed at right angles etc..

Plus, her coffee has to be stirred by one of her 'people' in an anti-clockwise direction!

Genius. You gotta admire the gal for that alone! Might try insisting on that stuff at work... although I will probably just get my P45 :)

Even if all this is baloney, the fact that these rumours have been created about her shows that there is a diva legend behind the myth.... As for eyebrow technicians - what's wrong with a pair of tweezers and some vaseline? :o

Winifred - you must be a fan surely - or do you only like newsreaders? :eek: ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know, Madge has a good voice, and she can sing live- when she chooses too, i wouldnt class Jeniffer lopez in the same category as madonna, MAdonna has been very successful- shes a song writer and has opened opportunities herself, and gotten where she is today on her own. The oly thing She cant seem to get is a respected acting career.

Jeniffer Lopez- im not sure. She seems to be a good actress, at times, although I'm not sure i would watch another of her films. I think because i dont see her as an actress. Singing wise, i dont like her music, i dont think she has a great deal of talent or vocal range, but then its not my type of music so i wouldnt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked JLo in Selena, but is that really her singing or is she miming to the real Selena's voice? In fact thats probably the only decent film Ive ever seen her in. I saw Maid in Manhattan, and although it was mildly entertaining, it was an unoriginal and highly forgetable Pretty Woman rip off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked JLo in Selena, but is that really her singing or is she miming to the real Selena's voice? In fact thats probably the only decent film Ive ever seen her in. I saw Maid in Manhattan, and although it was mildly entertaining, it was an unoriginal and highly forgetable Pretty Woman rip off.

She mimed to the real Selena's voice. I bought the soundtrack a few years ago and since then have got hold of a couple of Selena's other cds. One is the English language one they refer to in the film, the other is a greatest hits. Even though I don't speak Spanish they are great to listen to,
  • ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    I liked JLo in Selena, but is that really her singing or is she miming to the real Selena's voice? In fact thats probably the only decent film Ive ever seen her in

I'm pretty certain, in a programme I watched, where Selena's father was interviewed, she is lip synching to Selena's voice - but I could be wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I liked Jennifer Lopez in Selena - she can go a long way. Unfortunately, talented or not, Jennifer Lopez is doing herself a lot of harm by promoting fur.

The only way to make people stop and think is to stop watching movies or buying anything that they are associated with. In other words, Hit them in the pocket.

Years ago the boycotts of people using fur started to beat them and it slowed the fur trade down a lot but now it is another generation and they aren't thinking. They too, will become aware of how vile the trade is then it won't matter whether Jennifer Lopez can sing, or act, because no-one will want to go and see her. One Stone upon another a Mountaim makes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant act worth a damn, i dont care what anyone says
    her singing and dancing are ok
    shes basically someone who got lucky and through hard work and pure luck and timing (the whole latin thing was "in" just when she arrived on the scene) made a huge success of herself

i despise her as a person though..not for all her "im still jenny from the block" crap but her fur wearing makes my physically ill
    fox fur EYELASHES!! i mean what in the name of god?!!!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I bothering to post in this thread? I couldn't give a toss about the woman; I have no opinion of her whatsoever, except to say that she's got a fat arse
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Well i think shes a very talented dancer, and i like most of her movies, i must say i was a HUGE jen fan, i just thought she was great and sweet, but she keeps proving me wrong with her lack of compassion for animals...So by her wearing fur, promoting it and getting more rich off it in her clothing line, i agree with crazygirl that none of her talent will matter because she is just seen by alot of people as selfish and cruel....lastly i think shes beautiful, talented and driven but i think she needs some help, seriously get some morals or ethics! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I think she's a fab dancer, but can't really sing for sh*t. Saying that, I have all her albums and do like her songs, but i think auto-tune has a lot to do with it!!
    She's pretty, and can look stunning, but only after all her 'people' have worked their magic on her! I saw an mtv prog ages ago, her diary or something and it showed her with no make-up on, in a baggy tracksuit....not a pretty sight!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus, her coffee has to be stirred by one of her 'people' in an anti-clockwise direction!

God, I'd love that kind of wealth & power. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    i honestly dont' think thats true at all, and if it is thats just plain crazy, stir your own freakin coffee :eek:...whoever would do that for her is probably a suck up with no life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madonna is a far worse actress next to J-Lo

I have not seen Gigli

but Ive seen Maid in Manhatten, Wedding Planner, and Money Train and thought she was pretty good in those three. When shes relaxed, she comes across lovely and natural.

she is partly good in Enough but I cant help but think that its not quite underlining the massive prob of domestic violence, but making it look too much like she is a heroine that a lot of women would like to be, therefore, making herself look fantastic for her own status.