Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
Forum Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I was pleased to see Garth Marenghi's Darkplace due to run at some unearthly hour tonight, but the better half has spotted that the Radio Times has posted that C4 has replaced this with South Park.

I've dropped Channel 4 an e-mail asking if it is scheduled to be aired again, as although the series was unpopular, I thought it was magnificently original, and beautifully querky, and had I realised that it would not be shown again would have at least taped it knowing that it probably would never be released on DVD.

Did anyone else see Darkplace when it was originally shown? And any ideas why it isn't being shown tonight?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the the last 4 episodes of the 6 that were shown, and i thought that it was a great show because the humour in it was so much different to all the of sitcoms shown.
    It appealed to me more because Matthew Holness once attended my old junior school in Whitstable, Kent.

I hope it does get realeased on DVD, i know that myself and several other people i know would buy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Yes, I thought it was very funny, although could see why people just wouldn't "get it". One of the funniest bits was the helicopter scene in the one-eyed baby show, absolute comic gold with it's perspex rotar and cables holding it up.

I Emailed C4 shop asking if/when it will be released and they said there were no plans to release it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    :mad: i wasted a fiver on blank video tapes for it an they didnt bloody show it? WHY???? :(
    Such a great show spoiled and not given a chance by C4 -

JUST GET IT ON DVD CHANNEL 4 THEN YOU CAN FORGET ALL ABOUT IT, UNTIL THEN WE WONT FORGET ABOUT IT

My favourite bit was when heard Liz Asher typing before we saw it - class
    Forum Member
    Good news - surprisingly.

I sent an Email to Channel 4 Shop again (my last one was ages ago) and asked about Darkplace:

"It will be available to purchase later this year.

Kind Regards

Tom Larkin
    Customer Services Manager"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I think it's staggering how badly Channel 4 has treated Darkplace, and apart from the excellent Peep Show, the channel seems to be losing the plot these days. What with their endless scaping the barrel 100 best ever lists rubbish (do they really think we like these anymore???), their cringeworthy "we're so chuffed to be showing old Simpsons shows that Sky and BBC 2 have flogged to death" promotions, the tedious Big Brother, the dire Friday Night Project, and last night's exorcism embarrassment, I really think they're losing touch.
    Darkplace would benefit from a repeat showing as there is growing interest in it, and sadly many people only caught a few episodes but saw how great it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I thought Dark Place was very funny!! I told a few peopel about the show, and as mentioned in another post, they didn't 'get it'!! Sad really, because the joke was quite obvious...to me anyway!!

One of the funniest bits was when he fires a shot gun in the air in the hospital canteen to get silence...excellent!!

I can't believe they'd put the last series of Bo Selecta out on DVD, but not Darkplace...get a grip people!!!

P.S - Anyone know when Green Wing is out on DVD....a great programme!!!!
    Forum Member
    Well, I made it my mission to tell everyone about the programme, and most people I knew "got it" which was good to see. I hope that it does come out on DVD, and that it is marketed properly to ensure success.

Regarding Green Wing, I wasn't that keen myself, but can appreciate the appeal. If nobody here knows, drop C4 Shop an Email and they will probably reply. I got a reply to my Darkplace plea within a day.
    Forum Member
    I'm still optimistic about Darkplace being given a chance - look at Father Ted, nobody really knew what that was like until it was repeated then given a second series.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 have gone too American in recent years.

Whenever I flip through the channels, It always seems like repeats of "Friends" are on all the time.
    If it isn't "Friends",..then it's "The Simpsons"......It's just overkill. Too much.

I haven't seen "Garth Merenghi's Darkplace", and was looking forward to watching these repeats that are in the TV listings.
    What do they replace it with?...Bloody "South Park"

Does anybody remember when Channel 4's late night scheduling was always interesting?
    They had that "4 Later" strand when they would show all sorts of things that at least something would spike your interest.
    Now it's just repeating populist American shows.
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen "Garth Merenghi's Darkplace"

See what i mean C4? No-one knows what it is - you're lettin the side down!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Darkplace was fantastic! I loved it and would definitely buy the dvd when it comes out to join my comedy collection. Someone mentioned Peep Show, also total genius! Great stuff!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dilly1985 wrote:
    See what i mean C4? No-one knows what it is - you're lettin the side down!!!!

I know what it is.
    The Garth Merenghi bloke won a comedy award before they even made Darkplace didn't he?

It's just that when it was first shown it clashed with something else.

So I was quite looking forward to watching it this time around, because I thought it would be something I'd like.

But they replaced it with South Park.
    I mean it's not as though we don't see much of South park is it? Shows like South Park get pretty much blanket coverage anyway. So I don't see what was so urgent about showing South Park instead.

Channel 4 used to be credited with showing diverse and interesting programming. Now it just panders to viewers who are addicted to mainstream American shows,..and has become a much less interesting channel as a consequence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my friend loved this show. My friend in Canada who I sent converted copies to loved it as well. Can't wait for the DVD!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never explain to people why I liked this show, and did a really poor job of 'explaining' the humour. But it never failed to make me chuckle non-stop, which has got to be a good thing :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    This was one the funniest shows i have EVER seen - i laughed myself to tears every week!

My fave bit was Dr Sanch's meal for wooing the ladies - Soup with a poached egg in the middle and a pork pie.

Genius.

I'm off to email the C4 shop myself.

Come on people - lets bombard them!!
    Forum Member
    Theres a petition going somewhere on a website - Save Darkplace i think, but my bookmarks got erased - if anyone has it, please post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definately sign that :)
  • dafydddafydd Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Google is your friend.

Save Darkplace

Although there have been various semi-official announcements about the DVD release, I won't believe them until it's available to pre-order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they could show it again, I would be able to tape the first 2 episodes that I missed and I wouldn't have to buy an expensive DVD.

I really liked the director of the hospital, his delivery was hilarious, and the way he banged his fist on his desk when he was angry... :D
  • Paul_frm_MoscowPaul_frm_Moscow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    From Russia here =)

I haven't got the foggiest....
    ...idea !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I love the Thornton Reed character - purposly wooden! I like the fact he's always carrying a shot gun...he's the hospital manager!!!

Dr Sanchez is a great character too!

A funny bit I've just remembered is when Dr. Rick Dagless has offered Dr Asher a lift in his buggy car thing (she really fancies him).
    He turns to her and asks:

"What you doing for dinner tonight?"

She's flattered and answers "Nothing!"

"Dam!! I was looking for some ideas...I've got a girl coming round later!!"

BRILLIANT!!!!
  • Paul_frm_MoscowPaul_frm_Moscow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    What aboOt:

....The giant Apeloid was Micturating (which means Urinating!)....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What aboOt:

....The giant Apeloid was Micturating (which means Urinating!)....

In that episode, when Rick realises the water is contaminated, the boss goes "Thank god I only took a tiny sip", if you only take a tiny sip you're alright. That's another classic line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    http://www.avalonuk.com/tv/main_tv_darkplace.htm

I found that link on another site, for the first episode of Darkplace. It's just as funny as I remember.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a quality show. I also liked the slot it was in 10:30 on a thurs, its where peep show started off. Its almost as if C4 knew it would be some kind of cultish type show. Definitely not suitable for the post firends 9pm friday slot.