Disconnected from TalkTalk - looking for new ISP

I've just been disconnected for TalkTalk for compromising their network integrity and stability. Phoned them up and they said this wasn't due to my downloading but more uploading in my peer to peer software (i use WinMX). Pretty shit hey considering I joined because of the "unlimited" part of their offer, guess I should read the small print.

So does anyone have an idea of who I should migrate my service to, TalkTalk have given me my MAC address so it should be a simple process. Currently I have a 512 connection. I'm not a huge downloader, but like to get quite a few MP3's and 1 or 2 videos a month so I would like a high cap or preferable unlimited. Don't really want to spend more than £25. 1MB would be preferable although not sure if you can migrate from 512 to 1MB. Have had a look around and BT seems best deal but are there any other smaller ISP's that offer good deals. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    AOL mate, dont worry you dont have ot use their software and they are stable and allow totally unlimited. i downloaded over 120 gig last month on 2 meg and not a word has been said.

AOL have publicly promised to keep an uncapped, totally unlimited service. Yeah i admit you would have to commit to a 12 month contract but you would be unlikely to move if you was happy with the service.

They also give you 14 days cooling off from the migration of the line as well (when order is complete and switchover has taken place). which means you get to throttle their service so to spk.

You can also use a router.
  • scotty1scotty1 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    pipex seem to be the best deal at the min, free connection free modem/filters, monthly bill 1mb 23.66 or 2mb 33.99 im just waiting for my mac code from eclipse to migrate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Think i've either decided to go with BT, Pipex or Zazizam. Which would you guys recommend. Think I will go with the 1MB connection. Which service is the most reliable. Will I have the same problems with people uploading from me on peer to peer and then getting kick off the service for this?
  • JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't trust BT not to block P2P, but that's just gut feeling.

I'd go with either Pipex or Zazizam. My choice would be Pipex, because they'll probably up your speeds to what ever the max for your phoneline is before Zazizam. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    PIPEX I would suggest for reliabily & speed.

Go to

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp

and you can compare ADSL Broadband providers ratings.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Another vote here for Pipex. I've found them to be reliable (have had their 512k connection for about 10/11 months now) and although I'm not a leecher as such I do get through probably roughly around 10 - 30Gb per month in data transfers (i.e. out and in in total).

You can get uncapped 1Mbit for £23 which sounds pretty good. I think you still get free activation and a modem (which you can Ebay or keep as a spare if you so wish). Sting in the tail is that if you quit within 12 months you have to pay your activation fee - £58, but otherwise 1 month min. contract.

I would steer clear of BT as they have a fairly restrictive cap in place - 15Gb on 2Mb. Also a 12 month contract. Make of that what you will.

As for Zazizam, they appear to be a v21 reseller. Not much is known about them on AG and here, and I'm sure bond007 will be along shortly to tell you how fab it is (p.s. where are those traceroutes and pings I asked for in the other thread?). :D
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you have read elsewhere Talk Talk sent me the same letter the other day too, I was with Pipex before Talk Talk, only went to Talk Talk because of the lower price, now Pipex has reduced theirs to less than Talk Talk, I am glad Talk Talk are kicking me off.

I have never had any problems with Pipex, great service, other than one short outage, speeds were always high.

And that is why I am returning to Pipex, they are a reliable service I can trust.

If you are migrating from Talk Talk then, you can do so for free, and if you select you don't need a new modem and filters, you can get two months free too!
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    I wouldn't trust BT not to block P2P, but that's just gut feeling.

No p2p blocking with BT.

If there was I would be in BIIG trouble.

60Gb I have used this month. :eek:
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote:
    No p2p blocking with BT.

If there was I would be in BIIG trouble.

60Gb I have used this month. :eek:
    Sheesh! Bit like <an ntl employee> who uses 100GB a month - I feel guilty using 30GB!

I've set a new record today - currently on 2.6GB down. Record for upload is 485MB in one day.

That's on NTL 300k down, 64k up. :)
  • Shelley FabaresShelley Fabares Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "As for Zazizam, they appear to be a v21 reseller. Not much is known about them on AG and here, and I'm sure bond007 will be along shortly to tell you how fab it is (p.s. where are those traceroutes and pings I asked for in the other thread?). "

Does that mean if you're with an ISP like Zazizam ( or whichever one you joined ) who you think are good, you shouldn't mention it ? :confused:
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    Sheesh! Bit like <an ntl employee> who uses 100GB a month - I feel guilty using 30GB!

I've set a new record today - currently on 2.6GB down. Record for upload is 485MB in one day.

That's on NTL 300k down, 64k up. :)

It hasn't all been p2p.

I have been watching a fair amount of football online with 450kbps streams as I don't have Sky set up at the moment.

Add to that online gaming and streaming radio and I reckon that takes up a fair amount of that 60Gb.

I am just getting my moneys worth before I leave BT Broadband.

At the moment I get 1MB for £10 a month since I work for BT and that will go up to 2MB as I am within the limits. 15Gb a month isn't enough for me so I need to bite the bullet.
    Does that mean if you're with an ISP like Zazizam ( or whichever one you joined ) who you think are good, you shouldn't mention it ?

To be fair this has already been discussed on another thread but I think it was the sheer volume of promotion that bond007 gave them that got up peoples noses.
  • Clacton CrewClacton Crew Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if i went to talk talk i would of got kicked of for useing bittorrent. ;)
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i went to talk talk i would of got kicked of for useing bittorrent. ;)

Not for using bittorrent, but for downloading over 30gb in a month you would!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i say join zazizam - i have been pleased with them - so i highly recommend them - price is very good, service has been excellent over the past 8 months - and friends and family agree - i say you should join them, but at the end of the day, the choice is down to you

it is completely unlimited - we download alot every month, and havent recieved one email saying to stop - so it truely is unlimited - we use p2p, and bittorrent (50gb or so a month i guess we get through, across 5 machines)

there is absolutly nothing wrong with zazizam - just because they are small doesnt mean they are bad - if i mentioned any other isp like AOL, wanadoo, or talktalk it would be alright?

tracert;

1ms 1ms 1ms network ip address
    16ms 15ms 17ms router ip address (i think)
    16ms 17ms 15ms some ip address
    17ms 16ms 17ms another ip address
    15ms 16ms 16ms rt-linx-b.thdo.bbc.co.uk
    16ms 15ms 16ms ww25.thdo.bbc.co.uk

ping;
    all sent at 32bytes

15ms
    17ms
    15ms
    16ms

speed test;
    492.98kbs down
    251.61kbs up

96.23% efficentcy
  • digi_davedigi_dave Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote:
    It hasn't all been p2p.

I have been watching a fair amount of football online with 450kbps streams as I don't have Sky set up at the moment.

Add to that online gaming and streaming radio and I reckon that takes up a fair amount of that 60Gb.

I am just getting my moneys worth before I leave BT Broadband.

At the moment I get 1MB for £10 a month since I work for BT and that will go up to 2MB as I am within the limits. 15Gb a month isn't enough for me so I need to bite the bullet.

To be fair this has already been discussed on another thread but I think it was the sheer volume of promotion that bond007 gave them that got up peoples noses.

I know its stupid, ive only ever seen him post about this ISP aswell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digi_dave wrote:
    I know its stupid, ive only ever seen him post about this ISP aswell.

i do post other things aswell
  • Shelley FabaresShelley Fabares Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not much point in someone posting about broadband providers you've never used.Better to post about someone you're with. If you're happy with them say so, and if you're unhappy with them say so.

I've only been with Zazizam a couple of weeks,but the service so far has been fine.

If someone asked for a recommendation for a jumbo acoustic guitar I'd say Yamaha 'cos they're great guitars for the money and I have one. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not much point in someone posting about broadband providers you've never used.Better to post about someone you're with. If you're happy with them say so, and if you're unhappy with them say so.

thanks - my point too - this time last year I would have been praising Virgin for their good broadband service (though have read it has gone downhill since), but i am now with zazizam, and recommened them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Telecom Plus do a service which will help you migrate to them. It costs 19.95 for 1mb and a new 2mb service will start soon for 24.95.

There is also now download restriction. Take a look at

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/internet.taf

*admin edit* - referal link removed
    Forum Member
    I've had a good look, and I can't find anything - even about a fair usage policy. 'Unlimited' tends to have to mean unlimited, generally - and unlimited 1Mbps broadband with a free modem sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

The 'dial-up' is a crap deal though.

I think I might research this a bit more - any ideas as to whether there's a setup charge??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Well I'm thinking of Pipex. Anything has to be better than Tiscali at the moment (LineOne used to be good). The customer services don't seem to know their head from their ar**s. Just hope Pipex fits the bill of what I am looking for.

John.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pipex gets my vote, again.