Options

Battlestar Galactica TV Series - Which DVDs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've not seen the recent version of this TV series but have heard it's good (not the Travolta film or the old TV series). I don't know which DVDs to rent out, there seem to be three different types at Blockbuster.co.uk. There was a mini-series, which later got made into a proper series right? I wanna watch from the first recently made (in the last few years) TV Series.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    The mini series was actually a feature length pilot, lasting around 4 hours, and led into a full series of episodes. And yes, I cannot praise this series highly enough.

It's listed on e-tailer's websites as Battlestar Galactica 2004 - The mini series.

The first series is also coming out on DVD, it's released on 28th March.

Viewing figures are good and a second series has just been announced.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about this 'Season 1, Disc 1, Part 1' released 21 March 2005, 'Disc 1' released 12 Jan 2004, the Mini-series released 01 March 2004, what's the difference?

If you go to Blockbuster.co.uk and serach for Battlestar galactica you get the above three types and a 2001 version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They've got it wrong, pure and simple.

Your best bet is to go to a website (the name of a rainforest) and do a search - the items you want are the first two listed. (Although they also incorrectly list the whole first series dvd as season 1, part 1.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you go to a website that sounds like slay dot com you will see the same box-set with the whole of the season one episodes listed. It's the same box set I spoke about above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, the 2001 version is just a repackage from the original series.

I see the confusion is caused by Bbuster using each disk from the 4-disk box-set as a seperate rental.
    Hope this helps.
    John
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I knew one of them was some series/film from 10+ years ago but I think Blockbuster mixed up the pictures aswell.

I think we're allowed to say Amazon and Play aren't we?

I need to rent it from Blockbuster cos that's who I'm joined with on a monthly plan. The info from Play and Amazon will help me decide which one/s to go for.

I know the mini-series was released a while back but what about the full season from that, which was made/shown as a result of the mini-series being a success, has that come out yet?
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    OK. Im gonna clear this one up :)

There are three releases of Battlestar Galactica on DVD.

The first release was the original 1978 series, released in a box set a couple of years ago. There was limited edition Cylon packaging, but the standard box set looked like THIS

The second release, was called "The Mini Series". This is the two parts of the "Pilot" of the new Galactica that aired on Sky Movies. This was released on its own about a year ago and looks like THIS

The third upcoming release, is the first full season of the new Galactica. Most retailers are getting confused by the fact it only has 13 episodes, and are assuming that its the first of two box sets. THIS IS INCORRECT. The release is the COMPLETE first series and will look like THIS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The complete first series of the NEW Battlestar is out on 28th March to buy. I don't know if Blockbuster (and other video stores) have this available for rent earlier, but my guess would be they've got their dates mixed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    OK. Im gonna clear this one up :)

There are three releases of Battlestar Galactica on DVD.

The first release was the original 1978 series, released in a box set a couple of years ago. There was limited edition Cylon packaging, but the standard box set looked like THIS

The second release, was called "The Mini Series". This is the two parts of the "Pilot" of the new Galactica that aired on Sky Movies. This was released on its own about a year ago and looks like THIS

The third upcoming release, is the first full season of the new Galactica. Most retailers are getting confused by the fact it only has 13 episodes, and are assuming that its the first of two box sets. THIS IS INCORRECT. The release is the COMPLETE first series and will look like THIS
    Cheers for the pics, appreciate you taking the time mate.:)

The first pic, the one for the 'old' series is a 'new-looking' pic, so I thought it was the new one series, yet on the Blockbuster website it named actors from the 'old' series. Thanks for clearing that up, I now know they simply 'updated' the pic.

Looks like I'll be looking for the second and third pics. Problem is, the last two don't have a preview pic on Blockbuster. The pics will definitely help tho - I think I know which ones to go for - and I can research using the pics IF I need to.

Looks like there's confusion among (at least one or two) retailers in terms of release dates and especially how many discs there are.

Thanks again everyone, especially DanVitale.:)