The Phantom of The Opera on DVD

Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else know when it will be out on DVD? Ive looked at IMDB and all I can get is gossip from the message boards saying its somewhere between the end of March and the begining of May. Im dying to see it again and see the extra's that'll be on it.

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Its defiantly not being released untill at least May. The American Region 1 release date is the 3rd of May and it will be released as both a single and double disc version. The single disc version will have no extras but the double disc will have extras which include two documentaries on the story and the musical's legacy and three making of featurettes.
    Its also showing on Play.com as released on 2nd May for the UK Region 2 version and I assume the extras on the UK version will be the same as the US version!
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon is quoting May 2nd. link
  • Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to wait until May?? :mad: Why is it that Bridget Jones came out so soon when It was only released in Cinema's a month or so before Phantom and stayed on the screens longer????
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PHANTOM was an absolutely dreadful film. you'd have thought they'd have updated the orchestration so it doesn't still sound like the MOR 80s dire it is. and gerard butler was about as scary as ermintrude
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote:
    PHANTOM was an absolutely dreadful film. you'd have thought they'd have updated the orchestration so it doesn't still sound like the MOR 80s dire it is. and gerard butler was about as scary as ermintrude

Well myself and most people I know loved the film, and so did most people on these boards if I remember correctly. And know he wasn't scary I agree, but he was damb sexy, I definatly would :D .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god, who in their right mind WOULDNT?
    I have to wait until May?? :mad: Why is it that Bridget Jones came out so soon when It was only released in Cinema's a month or so before Phantom and stayed on the screens longer????

Because Bridget was crud! Plus I guess they wanted it out for mothers day....

I cant wati for the release of POTO , but it seems to damn far off! surely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope on the DVD they have an alternative ending where The Phantom kills girly Raoul and runs off into the sunset with Christine. :rolleyes: . That girl surely needs her head examining!! ;)

And I agree Bridget Jones is entertaining but I wouldn't go crazy over it like some women do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving all you Phantom 'phans' (see what I did there?!!). Play.com is also quoting May 2nd so I guess we'll have to wait till then, much sadness...

BYW, blatently would do Phantom, anyway isn't that the whole point, he's not meant to be scary but mysterious and sexy????

The cd says that Raoul was Christines romantic awakening and the Phantom her sexual one or something. So there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the stage show about five years ago and I can assure you The Phantom wasn't at all sexy. You sympathised with him, but that was it. He was in his 50's and without the mask he was really repulsive!

When I saw the movie I was so shocked When I first saw that Phantom. My god, those eyes! How smouldering! He could seduce a nun!

Even my mum fancied him, she kept going on about how good looking he was for ages after. I tell you I come over all silly just hearing his voice on the soundtrack! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    But will it be on Sky Box Office before DVD ????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sallyann wrote:
    But will it be on Sky Box Office before DVD ????

I doubt it. Do films come on Sky before a DVD release?
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Not as far as I know. I always thought that there was at least about a 3 month gap between DVD release and it being shown on SBO!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have a Phantom singalong like they do for The Sound of Music! We could cheer The Phantom and Christine and Boo Raoul! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . I tell you I come over all silly just hearing his voice on the soundtrack! :D
    God yes. I cant believe how people go on about how 'appauling' his singing is- his voice is one of the sexiest I've ever heard.

So what do we rekon guys? Will we have lots of extras?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure about his voice to begin with, but after finally finding the soundtrack in HMV and playing it to death Ive changed my mind. He sounds tortured and angry and thats exactly what The Phantom was. Not bad at all for someone who had no previous vocal training before being cast.

ALW wrote two songs for the movie, Learn To Be Lonely which was sung by Minnie Driver over the end credits and appears in instrumental form throughout the film and No one Would Listen which was to be sung by The Phantom himself, and was recored but was cut from the final film. Nobody is sure why, or where in the film it was meant to be but It is supposed to be appearing as an extra on the DVD :D:D:D:D !!

Why on earth did they cut it?? They could have at least put it on the soundtrack.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV Australia list the extras on the Aussie version already.
    THE OPERA GHOST, A PHANTOM UNMASKED
    FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH FILM HISTORIAN SCOTT MACQUEEN
    PRODUCTION PHOTOGRAPHS
    THEATRICAL TRAILER

It looks like Australia will get the DVD before us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somone on another board is stating April 28th??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why on earth did they cut it?? They could have at least put it on the soundtrack.

I think the song was actually 'Learn to Be Lonely' with different words. I think when they decided to cut it from the film they re-recorded it with Minnie Driver singing and new lyrics.

To be fair, much as I love the film it was on the long side, especially with no interval :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pah, I thought it was short!
    Tadpole wrote:
    HMV Australia list the extras on the Aussie version already.

It looks like Australia will get the DVD before us.

Nooo... mean! Those extras that were mentioned seem pretty measly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it went to quickly as well. :( I also don't think that we saw enough of The Phantom. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lo ditto, he was very fit!hehe.

I didnt like Jennifer Ellison in it. I saw her on stage and hated her then too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is alot more to him than being physically attractive though. Its almost like he's has an aura, like a magnetic appeal, because every single woman who's saw the film thinks exactly the same.

I couldn't take my eyes of him, seriousley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, the same. I know what you mean. I mean, he's such an enigma! From Think Of Me when you see him through the grate, your like woooo! And when he's really upset on the roof you just want to hug him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I really loved those open shirts they gave him. Gave us a nice view of his rather sexy manly chest :D:D:D . He was devestatingly sexy when he took Christine through the mirror and at the point of no return.

I cannot believe Im talking like this Lol!! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a full sze poster of the phantom as=t the end of my road. It got stolen. It was replaced. Me wanted to steal it. :)