Masterchef Goes Large: guilty pleasure (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I may be the only person in the world who is watching this (I hope not, because I'd like to see another series), but... blimey! What a smashing little programme.

Whoever was put in charge of rejigging the Masterchef format: you done good. Very good.

Old Masterchef = Surrey housewives
New Masterchef = City dropouts, burger van owners, hairdressers, bored middle managers......... loads of different people, all REAL people who have actual lives and backstories. Not one Surrey housewife spotted yet.

Old Masterchef = Looooooyd Grooooooossman
New Masterchef = A proper chef and a veg producer. Blokes who know what they're talking about. Don't mince their words, either.

Old Masterchef = chiffonade, compote, jus and other fancy pants bow-locks
New Masterchef = meatballs and apple crumble, mmmm. Stuff you actually want to go away and cook.

Old Masterchef = half an hour watching said Surrey housewives cooking said chiffonade/compote/jus while Loooooyd talks to a celebrity chef about their latest book. Yawn.
New Masterchef = loads of different tasks, including working in a real kitchen.

Old Masterchef = dire, boring rubbish.
New Masterchef = merciless, and extremely watchable. You get to see each contestant develop and handle pressure (or not); you really care about who wins. The Canadian guy should've won last week, IMO.

Anyway, it's on every weekday at 6.30, BBC2.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I stumbled onto this last week, and ive watched every episode so far, it really is interesting to watch, the young guy on yesterday amazed me with his knowledge and ability, and he looks about 12 :D
  • aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too fell into this programme and loved it.

The judges are tough but fair - this is not about whipping up a little something when Tarquin & Jocasta pop over - this is about cooking to please a paying customer who really doesn't care how long it took you to julienne (sp?) those carrots.

I watched some of the original Masterchefs and really didn't care WHO won: the programme seemed to be more about food snobbery than food. This version is more about people's passion for food and their dream of going gastro pro.

The cooking under pressure in a real restaurant is both a pleasure AND scary to watch! I love to cook, but I'm sure I would run screaming from that kind of pressure.

I agree about the young guy yesterday - barely out of nappies and beating all comers! Bet there's no boil-in-the-bag in HIS freezer :D
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I caught it on my day off last week, loved it, the new format works really well, I've seen that Chef bloke on shows before and really like him. I keep meaning to tape it, but I don't operate that well in the morning so keep forgetting :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    A superb programme - have seen all of them so far. Some excellent looking dishes served up so far!

I'm guessing its going to be running for another week or two?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungee wrote:
    I'm guessing its going to be running for another week or two?

I think it's on for quite a while. They'll do a quarter-final between six(?) of the weekly winners, then semis, then a final.

At the beginning of the series, I'm sure there was something said about "10 weeks". That may just be wishful thinking on by part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I caught this last week and have been watching it ever since. I agree that there are some people you want to see do well mainly because they are so down to earth. There was a girl last week who had never seen a chickpea or an aubergine and made one of the best dishes.

I recognise one of the hosts from Saturday Kitchen and I really like him. They are quite honest and don't mind telling the contestants to their face if they don't like something and why.

Clips from tonight's episode (Wed 2nd) that were shown at end of last night's should make for good viewing.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungee wrote:
    A superb programme - have seen all of them so far. Some excellent looking dishes served up so far!

and nobody it seems has bothered to sneak in an overpriced jar of pap, nor mention Loyd Grossman on the new series either. For that we should be truly grateful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have a funny feeling the producers of x-factor/fame acadamy/pop idol/....etc (delete as desired) has spiced it up a bit.
  • cjdoylecjdoyle Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    lady-muck wrote:
    I think it's on for quite a while. They'll do a quarter-final between six(?) of the weekly winners, then semis, then a final.

At the beginning of the series, I'm sure there was something said about "10 weeks". That may just be wishful thinking on by part.

The series will run every weekday for six weeks on BBC2 at 6.30pm, starting on Monday 21 February and finishing on Friday 1 April.

There will be four weeks of heats, followed by a week of semi-finals and a week of finals.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't even know it was on, I don't usually turn the TV on until around 7pm, sacrilegious I know. I will make an effort to watch it, I love any and all shows to do with cooking. :)
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote:
    I didn't even know it was on, I don't usually turn the TV on until around 7pm, sacrilegious I know. I will make an effort to watch it, I love any and all shows to do with cooking. :)

You'll love it PamelaL, although you've missed arrogant pig boy (bad blonde highlights and a horrible arrogant attitude) being booted out early this week, which was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll love it PamelaL, although you've missed arrogant pig boy (bad blonde highlights and a horrible arrogant attitude) being booted out early this week, which was brilliant.

That was classic!

I loved the way he put his first dish down in front of the judges. He swept his arm back with a flourish, as if to say "I am SO the best". W@nker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I came across this thread. I too have been watching every episode, and I really like it!

Today is the first day I've missed, and that was because my Thomson DHD4000 messed up the recording (which, incidentally, it doesn't usually do!). Did I miss anything much today? Can anyone give me a summary? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't an all-time great. It was pretty clear from the start who was going to win: a softly-spoken, likeable, quietly confident marketing type called David.

He breezed the opening round while everyone else made a dog's dinner of it; breezed the pro kitchen; more or less kept up the pace in the final cook-off.

One thing: he used cod for his main course, and I'm surprised that neither of the judges commented on that. You might as well chop up a small child and serve it. Cod is so endangered at the moment, I'm always reading stories about how it's considered very bad form to use it in cooking. The judges are usually quick to leap on someone for using out of season ingredients, so I'm surprised they let the cod pass without comment. Maybe they just liked the guy too much.

Anyway I expect him to do OK on Friday, certainly making the final three, but I don't think he'll win the quarter final.
    Forum Member
    lady-muck wrote:
    It wasn't an all-time great. It was pretty clear from the start who was going to win: a softly-spoken, likeable, quietly confident marketing type called David.

He breezed the opening round while everyone else made a dog's dinner of it; breezed the pro kitchen; more or less kept up the pace in the final cook-off.

One thing: he used cod for his main course, and I'm surprised that neither of the judges commented on that. You might as well chop up a small child and serve it. Cod is so endangered at the moment, I'm always reading stories about how it's considered very bad form to use it in cooking. The judges are usually quick to leap on someone for using out of season ingredients, so I'm surprised they let the cod pass without comment. Maybe they just liked the guy too much.

Anyway I expect him to do OK on Friday, certainly making the final three, but I don't think he'll win the quarter final.

No, don't see him winning it either, but last night was worth it for the woman who added cream to black bean sauce, I noticed the judges didn't actually eat any of that one :eek: *insert vomit icon*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise so many other people loved this programme as much as me!! It's great TV! That John Torrode really knows his stuff. I loved it the week a guy tried to show off by using really expensive wine in his cooking and then it exploded everywhere - did he not practice that dish at home???
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, don't see him winning it either, but last night was worth it for the woman who added cream to black bean sauce, I noticed the judges didn't actually eat any of that one :eek: *insert vomit icon*

LOL How bad did her plate of food look last night? :eek:

You're right I have been loving this show, it's fantastic and should be on in a later time-slot. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady-muck wrote:

Thanks. :)
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE this show. It’s got me racing home every night to watch it. I was gutted when sweet little James didn’t win his quarterfinal after stuffing up his citrus soufflé. I’m hoping they’ve got an American Idol-esque ‘wildcard’ slot that he can get into the semis with. He was just so clever and knowledgeable about food.

It is a completely addictive show and far superior to Masterchef version 1. I do have to say, though, some groups are getting the short end of the stick as far as the pro-kitchens are concerned. Some are really stuck in the deep end (last night, for example) whilst others go to Pru Leith’s (or equivalent) cookery school for a (seemingly) easy session.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote:
    I was gutted when sweet little James didn’t win his quarterfinal after stuffing up his citrus soufflé. I’m hoping they’ve got an American Idol-esque ‘wildcard’ slot that he can get into the semis with. He was just so clever and knowledgeable about food.

My thoughts exactly, dizzie. He's one of those people that just lives and breathes it. I loved the fact that he'd ditched the legal profession to go away and plant organic vegetables.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see him turning up again. Some evenings there are three (or more) strong contenders, while on another evening the standard might be quite average. So it won't necessarily be the six best contenstants from the whole series who get to the final.

For that reason, I think they have to have one or two wildcard places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote:
    far superior to Masterchef version 1.

Agree with that, too. I loathed that programme. Rich bored women make pretentious French thingies; Grossman wafts about saying how lovely it all is. Ugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only managed to catch 2 of these shows, but really enjoyed them both. And I even learned a useful trick for risotto: to stir in one direction only to stop the rice breaking down and turning to mush. So as well as being entertaining it's truly eductional :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agog, you will get addicted, I promise you. Trouble is, as soon as you can't stop watching the series will end. :(
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm learning loads..........and to think last year's "achievement" was making a jelly, yes boiling the water and everything! ;):D I've bought a packet trifle that's going to be "the centre-piece" of my Easter entertaining! :p

PS.Who presented the original series before LG, I can't remember and it's driving me mad!
    Forum Member
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    I'm learning loads..........and to think last year's "achievement" was making a jelly, yes boiling the water and everything! ;):D I've bought a packet trifle that's going to be "the centre-piece" of my Easter entertaining! :p

PS.Who presented the original series before LG, I can't remember and it's driving me mad!

I'm pretty sure it started off with LG and then Gary Rhodes took it over for a season or two.
This discussion has been closed.