Options

POrtable satellite dish?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
I am moving back into student halls this autumn and have Sky. I plan to go to over to Freeview/Top up but a friend recently said I could get a portable ie non fixed satellite dish and rig up Sky with my digibox in my room. Anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You set the dish up behind a window. It will only work if you get a room with the window facing south eastish. Use a 60cm dish minimum, and hope th windows dont reflect too much signal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to purchase a 60cm dish without digibox, how can I go about that?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    go to a satellite shop?

If you wait another month Lidl are selling the satellite camping set for £80 with 35cm dish ,FTA Reciever,cable,fittings, meter ect.. for £80 !!

heres the dish what sticks to a window theres also another fitting to tie it to a drain pipe

lol dont laugh at my 19.2e setup yes I know its crap

Then you can get the FTA channels on 19.2e(http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/astra1_19e.html 19.2e lineup) (FTA MTV & Eurosport) or either 28e but you would have to move the dish to what sat you want. instead of using the FTA box just swap it over with Sky+ but you will have to get a lnb with a extra output if you wonna record
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    @ modern
    Not crap m8, nice easy set up, if it works don't knock it!
    Nice pictures and good idea, easily set up and put away afterwards. I just love simple inexpensive solutions.
    AF
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know for £80 I got alot of use out of it because I have no DIY skills ect... and I didnt even have to go outside the window to set it up it just clips all together in parts.

And another advantage I can get 28e,19e,13e or 30w with in 30seconds just put your hand out the window and knock the dish a few inches left/right lol great little dish !!!!!!!!!

Another pic of drain pipe clip thingy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    modern wrote:
    I know for £80 I got alot of use out of it because I have no DIY skills ect... and I didnt even have to go outside the window to set it up it just clips all together in parts.

And another advantage I can get 28e,19e,13e or 30w with in 30seconds just put your hand out the window and knock the dish a few inches left/right lol great little dish !!!!!!!!!
    is that dish stuck to your window part of the Lidl satellite camping set @ £80?

can you buy the dish seperatley anywhere, i really want one! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO WAIT ITS PRICED AT £69.99 MY MISTAKE :( @ Lidl

SO KEEP A EYE OUT ON LIDL SITE @ APRIL

FOR £69.99 YOU get

Carry Case
    Dish 35cm
    LNB
    Cable
    F-Connectors
    Reciver Comag FTA III (patchable :D ) 12v or 240v pic here so you not buying crap like bskyb digibox

Scart
    Meter
    Window clamp thingy
    Pipe thingy
    Fittings for wall
    Extra Fittings

ALL FOR £69.99 I REPEAT ALL FOR £69.99

** A FULL SAT SYSTEM FOR £69.99 ** EVERYTHING U NEED

BARGEN OF THE CENTURY :eek:

Satcure JUST sell the dish for £150 I think I know what my choice will be :D

note satcure will not sell it with reciever or cable or meter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I'm definately going to find me one of those! That's a great setup modern :)

I've got a 90cm dish and can't get anything other than what it's fixed at. Great work! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow thanks for the comments on the setup its one of the most basic and low tech setups but it works :D

yes thats the dish what comes with the lidl sat camping set for £69.99 -

It can get a good signal on most sats 91% on Sky 28e and 83% on 19.2e dont forget 60% on 30w aswell

the dish is a right legend
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    modern wrote:
    Satcure JUST sell the dish for £150 I think I know what my choice will be :D

note satcure will not sell it with reciever or cable or meter
    If you are referring to the 35cm portable dish kit that we used to offer at £74.95, we no longer stock this because we couldn't even buy it at the price Lidl sold it for. Lidl do some great deals but, unfortunately, they are very short-lived. In fact I've never seen one at my local branch. I do recommend you grab one if you can.

Unfortunately we've never stocked a dish that could be stuck to a window. If any suppliers are reading this, please get in touch! :)

Martin
    SatCure
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,708
    Forum Member
    I have a few questions

What stations would i get if i pointed it at 19.2e

Does the dish have to be high up in order to get a good signal? i live in a converted garage and would be easy to just stick it to my window.

How do i know where to point it?

Found the channel list and the only station i would watch is mtv2pop i don't think its worth it for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. This page is out of date but it'll do to start with:
    http://www.satcure.com/tech/astra19.htm

2. The dish must have a clear view of the satellite. it doesn't matter if it's in a hole in the ground provided that it has a clear view.

3. Point it at the satellite.
    See http://sam-radford.me.uk/install.htm
    (This refers to 28.2'E but the same principles apply for 19.2'E)

4. So I just wasted my time?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few questions

Does the dish have to be high up in order to get a good signal? i live in a converted garage and would be easy to just stick it to my window.

Found the channel list and the only station i would watch is mtv2pop i don't think its worth it for me.

The dish can be anywhere as long as it has a clear view out to the satellites (rioughly south east). I have 2 dishes sitting on old car tyres at the bottom of the garden as thats the only clear view out south east here. However, it has to be said that bolted to a wall is more preferable - my dishes blow over occasionally in strong winds!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few questions

Well you point it where the sky dishes are pointing for a start it comes with a meter so aligning it should be no issue at all. Remeber the dish could be anywhere it doesnt have to be high up it could be on a pavement.

Patch the reciever then get

MTV Espana
    MTV France
    MTV Hits
    MTV Base
    VH1 E
    TMF NL
    MTV 2 Europe
    VH1 Classic
    MCM
    MCM TOP

dont forget MTV Italy is FTA @ 16e

Patching is dead easy all it is getting a rs232 com1 cable from maplins connect them between ya reciever and pc then download the file (PM me for link ;) )

And believe it or not I even got 70% off Turksat thanks for analoguesat saying he got it with a minidish in some other thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. This page is out of date but it'll do to start with:
    http://www.satcure.com/tech/astra19.htm

I dislike the way MartinPickering has not listed MTV Central and MTV 2 POP on his channel list. These are properly apart from the news channels the only channels in english on 19.2e. Everytime I flick to MTV Central its always in english ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll get one of those kits from Lidl myself, £70 for all that!!! It's as inexpensive as deep-fried potato sticks!!! :D

Just hope I have enough money by the time Lidl bring them out, just spent £45 on a Compaq iPaq desktop thingy (Celery 800Mhz, 64MB (just upgraded to 256MB) ram, 20GB hard drive, Win98SE license sticker), but I want one of those little dishes (BSB comes to mind)!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol I use to waste money on IT crap but now I spend it on sat gear and get far more use out of it.

I'm getting mine just for the 19.2 dance ;)

If anyone instrested I will post screenshots of the comag III osd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound just like my boss!!! :D:p

Anyway, I've been meaning to get an FTA reciever but they're all too expensive, so this Comag III kit is perfect!!! And I'll be able to stick the dish on the outside of my window (until I move house), assuming it's one of those dishes like in the pictures above, or below, or on the last page, depending on how you've tweaked the way you see DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that dish came with the comag III camping set. :D
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    What's the full list of channels you'd get by patching the receiver or is it just the MTV Networks bouquet? If answering this quetion will get the thread closed then please PM me the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loads more I will PM u the list later on in the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks modern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the full list of channels you'd get by patching the receiver or is it just the MTV Networks bouquet? If answering this quetion will get the thread closed then please PM me the list.

Warning:
    Please note that the reciever will not pick up encripted channels so this infomation below is all false: *

Its gets every MTV apart from Europe Dutch (NED 1,2,3,TMF,RTL4,5,Voconica ect... in english most of time and ORFs and All this is 19.2e

On 13e it get TPS, SKY

Please note that all the infomation is false I have given out ;)*

The infomation is also false I have written in other posts about the reciever being able to get MTV Channels. ;) *

* (Yeah Right)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So basicly it *doesn't* decrypt Mediaguard 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seca was hacked wasnt it???

More screenshots of the comag III camping set here for £69 with that dish above : http://com3.runboard.com/bcomag7.fcomagftaiii.t6