Which film has been re-made the quickest?

gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
Forum Member
✭✭
Inspired by the thread about Robocop being (possibly) re-made just 18 years after the original (it may seem a long time, but Robocop was a high-profile blockbuster at the time, not a little known sleeper hit) I was wondering which film has been similarly re-made quite quickly when the original is still fresh.
I'm thinking of direct English language to English re-makes (i.e. no European or Asian films which are frequently re-made within a couple of years).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They remade Fever Pitch for the american market. The Fog is also being remade.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Manhunter made in 1986, remade as Red Dragon in 2002 - 16 years later.

Also, a bit before my time, Beau Geste 1926 - remade 1939 (and again in 1966).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,309
    Forum Member
    I think in the 1950s, film studios made a habit of making a version of something that their rivals had done a couple of years before. Of course, I can't think of any examples at the moment, but it was usually adaptations of books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Night Of The Living Dead??? tht was remade quite quick i think?
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably The Eye, (though if its about how long it took to film, then Day of the Jackal II looks like a weekend jobbie).
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see the time between remakes of original screenplays.

Films adapted from novels have been remade many times, such as popular horror like Frankenstein and Dracula (13 years between John Badham's 1979 version of Dracula and Francis Coppola's 1992 version, for example) or classic work like Dickens (Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol spring to mind) and, of course, Shakespeare.

It's debatable whether you can call book adaptations remakes; you could argue that they're just reinterpretations of the source novel.

But now I'm racking my brain trying to think of a remake that hasn't been originally adapted from a novel or a play.

Dawn of the Dead comes to mind, but that was 26 years between the original and the remake; likewise the remake of Romero's original Night of the Living Dead and its remake were 22 years apart. Perhaps I should try thinking of something other than horror films...
  • RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    They bastardised Fever Pitch for the american market. The Fog is also being remade.

Just fixed that for you. Thank me later. ;)
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we counting Hollywood remakes of foreign films? Cos:

Abre Los Ojos (1997), Vanilla Sky (2001)
    Ringu (1998), The Ring (2002)
    Mon pere ce hero (1991), My Father the Hero (1994)

And I'm sure there are lots more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bah! I can't remember it's name (typical), but I'm sure that there was a Bollywood film not so long back that was remade only a week after the final cut because 'test' audiences expressed disgust at the female lead. The reshoot lasted longer than the actual original filming with the female lead replaced by a man!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfred Hitchcock made 'The man who knew too much' in 1934 and then remade it himself in 1956. 22 years, that was probably one of the longest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Grudge? The Japanese and American ones were made very close together weren't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    How about the new Exorcist prequel. Someone at the studio didn't like it, so new director brought in and a remake was made! Think BOTH versions will be coming out too if internet gossip is to be believed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LA FEMME NIKITA (the brilliant Luc Besson Original) 1990

THE ASSASSIN (The shit hollywood remake with Bridgit Fonda!) 1997
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Visitors, and Just Visiting.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taxi and Taxi (hang on Jimmy Fallon connection here what with Fever Pitch. What does that tell you!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    the ring movies.. japanese and english versions made only a couple years apart. same goes for juon the grudge... the guy who made the japanese grudge version also made the english version. he actually made several versions in japanese. he is supposedly obsessed with it, and keeps remaking it.

also.. willy wonka..... i guess that was long enough ago though... can't wait for the new one this summer!
  • kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's been a version of Frankenstien every decade since the 1900s.

Apart from that: the crap US version of The Vanishing followed hot on the heels of the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we including re-edited versions. There's always the way Lucas has and will remake starwars...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    what about Heat - the director remade it with Pacino etc when he got some money didnt he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote:
    I'm thinking of direct English language to English re-makes (i.e. no European or Asian films which are frequently re-made within a couple of years).

Take note people!

The Amityville Horror, original 1979, remade 2005.

26 years in between. The only one I could think of!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Entrapment" (1999) was originally intended to be the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1968) but instead Pierce Brosnan went with the script that became "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1999). So does that mean "Entrapment" and "The Thomas Crown Affair" are simultaneous remakes of each other?