Options

Titanic Special Edition

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently heard the James Cameron is releasing a special ed dvd later this year featuring an extra 58mins of footage. I just wondered how many of you would want to buy?

Comments

• Options
    MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic was a great film one of the best I have ever seen I dont know why do many people knock it when there are worse films about XxX for example
  • Options
    RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    Yes, XXX is a worse film than Titanic. Doesn't make Titanic a good film though.
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According toVariety , the new US version will have 58 minutes restored into it and will be released in October. Hopefully the UK's new version will be similar. This report suggests it will have a Dolby Digital EX soundtrack and be anamorphic.

I'll buy the new version, provided the price isn't ridiculous. Hopefully it will bring the Californian into the story, which was the biggest omission from the current version. (Watch "A Night To Remember" to understand that).
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd certainly consider it - considering how much they could have had on the original dvd, it was pretty lame with the extras - so the extra footage, if bundles with a load of extras about the titanic would be pretty good.

i know it got slated, but it was still incredibly powerful in the last half hour i think - i remember the whole cinema being utterly silent at the end - and not many films have that impact these days.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    58 minutes??

Christ, I don't harbour the hatred some have for this film, I think it's completely average, but it dragged in the first place. How can they possibly restore 58 minutes? I hear another cash cow being milked vigorously.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Titanic wasn't a bad film.

I will buy this set. Quite surprised its took so long for it to come out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    If its an extra 58 minutes of a naked Kate Winslet I won't getting the Special Edition, if its just 58 minutes of boring crap like 97% of the film then I'm not bothered by it and won't be getting it.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    I recently heard the James Cameron is releasing a special ed dvd later this year featuring an extra 58mins of footage. I just wondered how many of you would want to buy?
    Not even if there was gun held against my head. I hate hate hate this film so much. The only time it ever got to be good was when the ship sank cause then you knew you were soon to be released from a hell of your own making. I hope the DVD sinks like the ship did.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd add 58 minutes to this version of the Titanic story (3.7MB). :D

ps. found a 27MB .mov version (not much clearer though)

pps. warning - contains comedy decapitation.
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    Well I must be in the minority then (except I can't be, given the box office takings!) as I love Titanic. :)
  • Options
    Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Titanic as well. I think its a great film. Why was it such a phenomenon if it was so awful??
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    I love Titanic as well. I think its a great film. Why was it such a phenomenon if it was so awful??
    I have no idea. Its puzzled me for a long time but I really really do think it was dire :eek: It made me avoid films with Kate Winslet in it until the Eternal Sunshine which I liked. Still detest di Capro with his half formed foetus face though. :mad: So it was never a good combination of stars for me to begin with and I have these epic love conqueres all sagas...............too :yawn: for words.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The start and middle dragged, but the ending is a very powerful piece of cinema. I don't recall seeing a single person leave the cinema on the opening night when I was there with a dry eye, and that includes men, (and myself).

If the 58 minutes are about the other guests on the ship it might be a good thing, 58 more minutes of people dying would be far too much, youd be so sad by the end you'd wanna top yourself!

Paddy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Titanic got so big that eventually people turned on it.

Another example (stupid one like) is the Spice Girls. They were huge back in the late 90's and now people just don't seem to like them at all when there mentioned. Its like they got so big people turned on them.

Anyone get what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey I still love the Spice Girls!
    If its an extra 58 minutes of a naked Kate Winslet I won't getting the Special Edition.

Hey, I ADORE kate winslet. Thats my reason for buying this special edition. I have a love/hate relationship with this film. I know it can be rpetty terrible but I end up watching it al the time. Not sure about an extra 58 mins but I'd be interested to see makings of.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Erm, a multi-million dollar film with massive special effects, featuring Leonardo Di Caprio, about an incredibly famously historical incident.

If you change the word 'phenomenon' with 'success', I think i've explained it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    films aren't necessarily successful just on those grounds - plenty have flopped.

fact is, despite everything, titanic was far from being a turkey.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goldilocks wrote:
    I have no idea. Its puzzled me for a long time but I really really do think it was dire :eek: It made me avoid films with Kate Winslet in it until the Eternal Sunshine which I liked. Still detest di Capro with his half formed foetus face though. :mad: So it was never a good combination of stars for me to begin with and I have these epic love conqueres all sagas...............too :yawn: for words.

it wasn't really a love conquers all type story tho' - the whole point of leo and late's characters were simply to make it easier to feel for the loss of life at the end - you can't get that emotion simply from sheers numbers of lives lost, but draw the audience into the lives of these two in particular, and you can.

[/pretentious film critic]

Iain :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, it was a run of the mill, sunday afternoon romantic drama, where tehy get together against all odds, and one of them dies at the end.

With a big ship sinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which made for a fantasic piece of cinema.

as an audience we were brought right in to care about these two characters, which is why we could beome so emotionally involved with the tragedy of the huge loss of life at the end.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very subjective tbh. People got caught up in the grandeur of the film as set piece, and when that happens, plot and acting tend to go unnoticed.

Fortunate for this film as neither were very immpressive.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like whoo it'll be longer than Ben-Hur, at 4 hours 17mins.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haven't bothered to see titanic for 3 reasons - 1) pretty boy leonardo 2) Celina's awful song 3) I knew the ending - the ship sinks
  • Options
    Raw JuiceRaw Juice Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    There's an alternative ending on the DVD, where the ship doesn't sink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This alternative ending will be odd. What exactly is it? Did the cast film scenes where they got of at New York or something?