Options

Rap violence

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
Forum Member
✭✭
okay so whats the deal with all the violence assosiated with music these days.
you just have to take a walk down your street and your bound to see a young boy (or girl!! i dont know what your areas like!!)
dressed up like a bad boy!! Personally i think all they succeed in doing is making themselves look like idiots

The famous rappers or what ever you want to call them alwats talking about the "beef" with other rappers. Take 50 cent for instance he is on tv right now talking about him and ja rule and their on going conflict.

Do you think they directly affect crime rates or the antisocial behavior of teens today???

Basically have your say!!! (or have your rant!!)

BB :p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not, they just look like total twats :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I think some people try to emulate these people, i dont know if they have an effect on crime. But i do know their music SUCKS!!! plain and simple, and im sticking with my opinion :p
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay so whats the deal with all the violence assosiated with music these days.
    you just have to take a walk down your street and your bound to see a young boy (or girl!! i dont know what your areas like!!)
    dressed up like a bad boy!! Personally i think all they succeed in doing is making themselves look like idiots

The famous rappers or what ever you want to call them alwats talking about the "beef" with other rappers. Take 50 cent for instance he is on tv right now talking about him and ja rule and their on going conflict.

Do you think they directly affect crime rates or the antisocial behavior of teens today???

Basically have your say!!! (or have your rant!!)

BB :p

Hanging out in the hood with your homies does not necessarily equate to violence and 'anti-social' behaviour. I think a lot of the so-called antipathy between these artists is like pantomime and I really don't take it seriously - I understand that kids might though.. If you look at the deaths of Tupac and Biggie Smalls - that was all very childish stuff (albeit tragic). I don't think that's going to encourage kids to start fighting.

I quite like some rap music - I like Snoop, and what's often not documented is the good they do for the community. Apart from the drugs and the fights, Snoop, for example has (I believe) given a lot of money to schools in the states and educating kids about violence etc. There will always be violence, misogny and anti-social behaviour in society - rap music does not necessarily encourage this. It's like saying that there's a correlation between violent computer games and crime - there may well be but it's a complex issue and there are no black and white answers.
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wasn't violence as such but does everyone remember when VW signs were being stolen in the mid-80s when The Beastie Boys were wearing them! People were really getting their knickers in a twist about that!!!

Public Enemy and N.W.A were also blamed at the time for violence etc so this has been going on for 20 years!

Mind you, kids couldn't get hold of guns then & I don't remember them stabbing each other either!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    It's all relative really - I mean do people remember in 2002, when the government blamed So Solid Crew for violence and gun culture in the UK - I had to laugh at how out of touch they were.

It's true that the whole UK Garage clubbing scene did give a platform to some very unsavoury characters, who did go to club nights just to cause trouble (the same thing happened with Jungle music back in 1995 and Raves were blamed for excessive drug use back in 1988-91), but singling out one group of people no matter how annoying the general public/middle classes think they are - is stupid.

Anyway basically what I want to say is that the argument that: A form of music creates anti-social behaviour is a weak one.
    Most of the times it’s other factors, which lead people to violence. If we're talking about “Street Crime” then it’s often commited by quite poor working class people who are dissatisfied with their lives because they don’t have the same advantages as everyone else (Factors include: low incomes, poor living conditions and poor education etc....) and use crime as a way to fulfill their needs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous that people associate rap music with any type of violence in today's society. I'd say it was just an excuse to blame the "violence" (anti social behaviour watever) on that genre of music.

Dressing up like Rappers is different because if you "idolize" that person then thats 'normal'. But listening to a Rapper imply that he/she has killed another person and then going to pick up any form of weapon and do the same is ridiculous! I mean, unless you are a crackhead or mentally unstable (or sumfin like that) your not going to kill someone because you heard a Rapper state that he/she has done so in their music. Even if you had any sense you would know that those lyrics are there because they sound good and if they sound good, they sell good hence the producers get rich. If that is the case then the appropriate authorities or organisations should be doing more to make sure these people are given any necessary advice but blaming the music (rap) industry for people's problems/ill health is ridiculous. Just another desperate measure taken to get communities to eradicate rap music.
  • Options
    diamondcatdiamondcat Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all too silly for words. It's about time they grew up and took responsibility for their influence. For better or worse, people (usually young, because they want role models) idolise the famous. If the famous can't provide that then they should move over. The trouble is, once you move an idea into the public forum, it gains credibility, it gains weight and influence. It may be initially ridiculous but once it's out there it starts affecting people. The genie is out of the bottle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think music can be blamed for violence because music reflects society..the violence was already there. But when some rap music appears to glorify violence, thats irresponsible. I dont think it would inspire most kids to commit violent acts but it has defo influenced attitude and language. It influences popular culture for sure. Im always hearing young boys on the bus talking "gangsta" and referring to girls as "bitches' and "hoes". SAD!
  • Options
    diamondcatdiamondcat Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think music can be blamed for violence because music reflects society..the violence was already there. But when some rap music appears to glorify violence, thats irresponsible. I dont think it would inspire most kids to commit violent acts but it has defo influenced attitude and language. It influences popular culture for sure. Im always hearing young boys on the bus talking "gangsta" and referring to girls as "bitches' and "hoes". SAD!

Referring to girls as bitches and hoes is misogynistic and sexist and should not part of the vocabulary of any modern person. I find it saddening that after so many years of gender struggle, we are now looking at a situation where it is considered fashionable to be so derogatory towards women. Yes, it is indeed sad. It may well be indicative of young, disempowered men needing to reclaim their assertiveness but it's still unpleasant and disturbing.

It's not so long ago that I caught the tramlink between Croydon and Wimbledon and was treated to a lengthy dissertation by what appeared to be a 10-year old on what he intended to do to his mate's mother when he got home. Not only was this probably blameless woman's character totally trashed but he informed the whole carriage that he intended to indulge in oral and anal sex with her. Even his friends were embarrassed by him. If this wasn't influenced by popular culture then I don't know what is.
  • Options
    ShelfieShelfie Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the F*****g Y***s again. How the hell can one of the most popular forms of music be all about the size of the stars d**k,how much his H**s make on the street, what size wheels he's got on his motor? This "Rap" music has a silent "C" at the start. Haven't young people in this country got a mind of their own? Or is it just too hard to think for yourself?

As for these "RapStars", haven't they heard "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five? How can they possibly think that they could top that? Surely, after 20(!)years, that song still says more about the Afro-American experience than ANYTHING the rest of them have to offer?

Oh, yes and THIS says all you need to know about the Y***S, "they" say "Hip-Hop" is a "Black-thing" right? So, how come the biggest star in "Hip-Hop" is white?

Another thing, if you ever hear ANY kids, over here, saying; they're in the "Hood", "hanging" with their "HomeBoys"; FFS SLAP THEM!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to know why I never see a black person buying a rap cd.

Rap/RnB is supposedly black music, yet the only people I ever see buying it are white scallies covered in cheap jewellery.

Any other genre of music seems to be pretty evenly weighted in my experience.

What gives?