Options

New BBC weather debut?

ic1maleic1male Posts: 1,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know when it's happening? They are supposed to be changing over to Weatherscape XT but lord knows when.

More info from BBC News

Do you like the new BBC weather graphics? 215 votes

Yes
26% 56 votes
No
59% 127 votes
Undecided
14% 32 votes

Comments

• Options
    junglemeisterjunglemeister Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    ic1male wrote:
    Anyone know when it's happening? They are supposed to be changing over to Weatherscape XT but lord knows when.

More info from BBC News

Languishing at the very bottom of page 33 i felt this thread deserved to be resurrected.

This is serious topic that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i prefer the magnetic symbols, i find those computer generated maps with their animated "weather" less clear personally
  • Options
    MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea same here I find this sort of thing less clear than the ones in place now and I think the bbc will get a few complaints about this
  • Options
    junglemeisterjunglemeister Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Murk wrote:
    Yea same here I find this sort of thing less clear than the ones in place now and I think the bbc will get a few complaints about this

Guys Guys! Surely the serious point is being missed here?

Forget the high tech weather graphics. Who cares?

Bring back the Fish. Without Fish and that likeable buffoon
    Ian McCaskill who needs graphics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money is on some time next month.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Monday 16th May
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These new graphics better be impressive as the current ones do the job nicely.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    button04 wrote:
    Monday 16th May
    How do you know that?
  • Options
    RickyBRickyB Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    How do you know that?

They just had a feature about it on North West Tonight, so it's confirmed.
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in no doubt they will get complaints..beleive me I know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fact: Everyone complains about change.

After a while, when they understand what is going on and how to interpret what they're seeing, they'll wonder what they got so heated about.

When they changed over to computerised graphics, they made a programme called, quite cleverly I think, "A Change In The Weather" (geddit?), and I think they should do it again, otherwise even us savvy-people aren't going to have a clue what's going on when we watch that first broadcast.

I, for one, will look forward to the new format, and I'll give it a chance before I pass judgement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weather presenter woman said something about a 'sneak preview' tomorrow, So there may be a 'introduction' type piece.
    This is going to be a bigger change than the change to computer graphics, They had the bloke who designed the 'Weather Icons' on, talking about how they are :gasp: stopping using them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, you will see soon, just trust me on this one its gonna take you a whole lotta getting used to. I always saw the current system as an adaptation of the old magnetic system...the new ones are so far away from that it will be very interesting how they are recieved
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will one of the weather forecasters do an old magnetic system weather forecast for a bit of nostalgia the night before the new system comes into being?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they may have to on monday if it crashes again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    We here in Wales have a sneel preview of the new system tonight at 6.30 on Wales Today
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all starts on Monday and BBC NI have been the first to show it. The land is in relief andis a kind of browny-greeny colour. Clouds are shown as a shadow over the land and rain is shown as blue shading with raindrops inside. More intense rain is green and yellow. Temperatures are yellow or blue or red square. Wind is shown as a moving arrow - the bigger the arrow the stronger the wind.

i don't like it. It looks terribly plain and uncolourful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    BBC East have also just shown a preview. Quiety optimistic, I think it should be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I also watched the preview on regional news.

First impression, I'm not impressed. :eek:

The land has turned from a lush green to a dull beige/brown.

Shadow and sunshine look ok.

Rain looks dreadful. The couple of small blue rain clouds shown, show the depth of cloud so they look like bobbly jellyfish. Dread to think what the map will look like on a typical rainy day when cloud covers most of the country.

The wind is represented by lots of fast moving arrows, which when coupled with the panning and zooming around of the map will be very distracting.

Also don't like the sloping 3D view down onto the country. Fine if you are located in the south of the country but harder to see what the weather is like further up north than a plan view. The large place names standing up in 3D don't help either.

Will reserve final judgement until I see a full forecast but I think there may be a bit of tweaking to be done over the next month or so.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to confess I wasn't impressed by what I saw on Look East either. It doesn't look anything like as clear as what we have now.

But I agree it's probably a good idea to reserve judgement till next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly the reaction I expected...beleive me it doesn't get any better. Been looking at it for the last 5 months.
  • Options
    LemonadeLemonade Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checked out the preview, and it does stink!! Hate it. :eek:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This news item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3572562.stm

shows pics of the original NZ gfx....and we get shitty brown...what a waste!