Kevin Costner Westerns

shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend bought me `Wyatt Earp` for Christmas and having heard bad things about it I didn`t watch it until yesterday. What a surprise I though it was brilliant. I already have the two versions of `Dances With Wolves` which MUST be one of the best films ever made. Also, I have `Open Range`, partly because I know the area it was filmed but this film too is Excellent.
I know alot of you will disagree with me...but ...does anyone agree that Kevin Costner makes the best Westerns.

Comments

• bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think John Wayne & Clint Eastwood make the better westerns.
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Dances With Wolves is a masterpiece. A beautifully constructed piece of moviemaking, with a great story, breathtakingly beautiful score and brilliantly acted.

Open Range, on the other hand, I found to be a disappointment. I wanted to like the film as I think Costner is still a major talent - both as an actor and a director - despite some of the trendy and luvvie critics labelling him as passe. Sadly, though, I found Open Range a perfect solution to cure insomnia - rather than a film to stimulate the mind.

More than slightly off Western topic, but I do think A Perfect World is probably his best work as an actor apart from his role as John Dunbar in Dances With Wolves and I'd recommend it as a movie to watch and enjoy.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dances with wolves does seem to get a lot of derision these days, but i agree it was an absolutely beautiful film, that told an amzing story extraordinarily well. and he was great in jfk which, plot contrivances aside, is a great film too.

Iain