Options

Bus 174

NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone seen this, and what did they think?

I saw this the other night and it is one of the most unsettling, disturbing, amazing, tragic, and powerful films i have ever seen.

Its basically a documentary and real footage of when a gunman from the streets of Brazil held up a bus full of hostages for 4 hours.

I really recommend this if you havent seen it.

I couldnt stop thinking about it for ages afterwards, and its an incredibly tragic story, especially as its all real as it unfolds before your eyes.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've got it on DVD, it's a great film. It reminds me of a film called 'One day in September', which was a documentary that came out a few years ago about the Iran hostage situation at the 1972 Olympics (I think it won best documentary Oscar for that year).

Both films deal with a real life hostage situation, presenting events in chronological order and being careful not to give you any clues as to whats going to happen next, and it's almost as if you're watching a thriller, not a documentary. 'One day in September' was criticised for this approach by quite a few people, and I'll bet Bus 174 has been as well, but they're both fascinating films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen One Day in September but I saw an award winning documentary on the History channel about the Israel hostages situation at the Olympics. (Could this be the same thing maybe?) I saw it the other day actually. It was absolutely fascinating and very sad as well. I think it probably is the same thing actually.

I knew bits and bobs about the Olympics one (ie I knew facts and figures but that was about it)..i didnt know HOW exactly is happened and it was all so amazing how something like this can happen in Germany not that long ago. Same with Bus 174, i had read about this in the news briefly when it happened but had no idea of the tragic outcome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit where cameras go into a Brazilian jail in secret and film the cells where there are about 20 to a cell is the most frightening scene in a film I've seen in a long time.

I remember I had to wait for this on DVD, because when I went to see it at the cinema, they'd cancelled it because too many people wanted to see Harry Potter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had never even heard of the film actually! My sister brought the DVD home from work the other night and as me and two of my friends were bored, we just put it in and boy, did it ruin my night! Well, it didnt ruin my night but i was so touched and haunted by the film, i couldnt get certain images out of my head for a long time. I actually felt quite sorry for Sandro. Obviously i felt sorry for Geisha (sp?) more though.