Options

Unknowns who marry someone famous, then become more famous, and ditch them

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
Forum Member
A prime example of this is Amanda Holden.
She married Les Dennis to help her career, then as his popularity waned and her's grew, she ditched him

Comments

• Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Mariah Carey when she married Tommy Mottola, head of Sony music.

But i dont know the ins and outs of this one so who knows...!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darknessss wrote:
    She married Les Dennis to help her career, then as his popularity waned and her's grew, she ditched him
    Really? She got her jobs in series like We Know Where You Live, The Grimleys, Kiss Me Kate, Goodness Gracious Me, Hearts and Bones and Cutting It, thanks to being married to a cheesy quiz show host who had seen (relatively) better days. It's probably helped his career having been married to her more, overall.
    Presumably, by your rules, Nicole Kidman only married Tom Cruise for business reasons? Perhaps you're missing out on the reality of time passing and people changing, and that you are making sweeping remarks that are actually unfounded?
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lonepiner wrote:
    Really? She got her jobs in series like We Know Where You Live, The Grimleys, Kiss Me Kate, Goodness Gracious Me, Hearts and Bones and Cutting It, thanks to being married to a cheesy quiz show host who had seen (relatively) better days. It's probably helped his career having been married to her more, overall.
    Presumably, by your rules, Nicole Kidman only married Tom Cruise for business reasons? Perhaps you're missing out on the reality of time passing and people changing, and that you are making sweeping remarks that are actually unfounded?

Hear, hear. :)
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Lancaster who is not yet married to Rod Stewart but soon will be. Apparently (not sure if this is true - one of those spurious rumours that are as yet unfounded), he's very anally retentive and needs to be told how great he looks all the time plus expects to be waited on hand and foot at all times. When asked why she puts up with it Penny replied 'because I love him'. Hmm, what do you see in the ageing multi-millionaire Rod Stewart? (& yes, I did nick that line from Mrs Merton -when she asked Debbie McGee what she saw in Paul Daniels) :D

Penny Lancaster has got a body to die for and is a very attractive woman, but lest's be honest, would she have the level of 'fame' she does now if she wasn't with Rod Stewart? Probably not. She would probably be a fairly successful model and nothing else.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    My suggestion would be Alex Best - famous for, err marrying George Best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    John Leslie and Abi Titmuss ( I know they wern't married but.......) I don't know who dumped who tho
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My suggestion would be Alex Best - famous for, err marrying George Best.

Yes - Channel 4 did a documentary on her once (for some obscure reason) and she said 'I always knew I'd be famous'. Well, marrying a womanising alcoholic ex-footballer is a pretty sure-fire way to ensure that I guess :eek:
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    Heather Mills?????????????I know they are still together but you never know.
    Jimmy Gulzarr(or whatever his name was) who married Scary Spice Mel B. He was unknown before he married and then divorced her.
  • Options
    TinkerbellaTinkerbella Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Lancaster who is not yet married to Rod Stewart but soon will be. Apparently (not sure if this is true - one of those spurious rumours that are as yet unfounded), he's very anally retentive and needs to be told how great he looks all the time plus expects to be waited on hand and foot at all times. When asked why she puts up with it Penny replied 'because I love him'. Hmm, what do you see in the ageing multi-millionaire Rod Stewart? (& yes, I did nick that line from Mrs Merton -when she asked Debbie McGee what she saw in Paul Daniels) :D

Penny Lancaster has got a body to die for and is a very attractive woman, but lest's be honest, would she have the level of 'fame' she does now if she wasn't with Rod Stewart? Probably not. She would probably be a fairly successful model and nothing else.

Can't help but have the same feeling about Rachel Hunter. :confused:

She may well have been doing fine as a model in her native Australia before meeting Old Rod, but it was only through her association and subsequent marriage to him that she really become a successful model and 'celeb' over here (and the States).

Going back to the title of this thread, there's no way she's more famous than him, just seems to be having more success with the modelling/TV work nowadays than he's having at the singing. :rolleyes:

BTW: Heard today that Jonathan Ross had a little rant about her on his radio show and called her a 'Shemale' - says he thinks he's better looking than her when in drag! :eek: Blimey - that's gonna hurt her! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    Louisa wrote:

She may well have been doing fine as a model in her native Australia before meeting Old Rod, but it was only through her association and subsequent marriage to him that she really become a successful model and 'celeb' over here (and the States).

Going back to the title of this thread, there's no way she's more famous than him, just seems to be having more success with the modelling/TV work nowadays than he's having at the singing. :rolleyes:

BTW: Heard today that Jonathan Ross had a little rant about her on his radio show and called her a 'Shemale' - says he thinks he's better looking than her when in drag! :eek: Blimey - that's gonna hurt her! :p
    Has Jonathan Ross checked out his OWN wife lately? She always looks to me like she would be at home in a seedy strip joint.
    Incidentally - this being married to a celeb then becoming famous happens in families too. Look at the charmless, untalented Paul Ross, brother of Jonathan, doggedly hanging onto his coat tails in the vain hope he will become as famous or as talented.
    (Give up Paul and go back to do doing Russell Grant impressions).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has Jonathan Ross checked out his OWN wife lately? She always looks to me like she would be at home in a seedy strip joint.
    Incidentally - this being married to a celeb then becoming famous happens in families too. Look at the charmless, untalented Paul Ross, brother of Jonathan, doggedly hanging onto his coat tails in the vain hope he will become as famous or as talented.
    (Give up Paul and go back to do doing Russell Grant impressions).

Speaking of Paul Ross, does anyone know if the story that did the rounds was true, about him deliberately putting on weight to get on Celeb Fat Club?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Paul Ross, does anyone know if the story that did the rounds was true, about him deliberately putting on weight to get on Celeb Fat Club?

Probably. I know I'm gonna get lynched but I've got a bit of a soft spot for Paul Ross - I think he's quite endearing :eek: :o
    Let's face it - what '100 best public toilets' type programmes would be the same without him?

*goes to passport office to get visa stamped for 1 way ticket to New Zealand, never to be seen again*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably. I know I'm gonna get lynched but I've got a bit of a soft spot for Paul Ross - I think he's quite endearing :eek: :o
    Let's face it - what '100 best public toilets' type programmes would be the same without him?

*goes to passport office to get visa stamped for 1 way ticket to New Zealand, never to be seen again*

Erm, is it OK if I join you on that trip? I quite like him myself .... :o

He's always struck me as someone who's never starstruck with celebs and is prepared to take the piss out of them and have the piss taken out of him back (not literally, you understand ... :confused: ).

And anyone prepared to give The Bardsley a good slanging match is good in my books .... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member

Ive just phoned New Zealand Immigration, they say they dont want you. They say you should be eternally ashamed for fancying (yes I reckon you fancy him :p ) Paul of The Ross. And I thought you fancying Colin "get me a flannel & some Dove" Farrell was bad enough :D (Makes my LLB crush look reet lame) :D

And AgentKrycek, I wouldnt put it past him to pork up to get on Fit Club. He was given fifteen grand to do it !!! Dammit, Id live on doughnuts and fizzy pop for six weeks for fifteen grand (says she, pretending she doesnt already :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louisa wrote:

Actually Louisa, Rachel Hunter is a native New Zealander she's not Australian. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    Actually Louisa, Rachel Hunter is a native New Zealander she's not Australian. :)

Oooops - I knew it was somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere ....... :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louisa wrote:
    Oooops - I knew it was somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere ....... :o:o:o

LOL That's okay, we Australians don't like to be associated with anything to do with New Zealand, it's a friendly rivalry but it's a long one. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darknessss wrote:

Thats one thing I'd never do, especially if I got very lucky and married my dreamgirl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just phoned New Zealand Immigration, they say they dont want you. They say you should be eternally ashamed for fancying (yes I reckon you fancy him :p ) Paul of The Ross. And I thought you fancying Colin "get me a flannel & some Dove" Farrell was bad enough :D (Makes my LLB crush look reet lame) :D

And AgentKrycek, I wouldnt put it past him to pork up to get on Fit Club. He was given fifteen grand to do it !!! Dammit, Id live on doughnuts and fizzy pop for six weeks for fifteen grand (says she, pretending she doesnt already :D )

Ahh, yes, yes.. I can't stop - in the middle of a lovely dream about me, The Farrell and Paul Ross eating doughnuts together :D

Thanks Louisa - glad it's not just me with such bad, erm, I mean good, taste :)
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PATSY KENSIT PATSY KENSIT PATSY KENSIT!!!

Three marriages to rock singers later and the men of music are shuddering in their boots to see who she'll get her claws into next!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Brazier to a certain extent? He's certainly televised more than Ms Goody at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote:
    PATSY KENSIT PATSY KENSIT PATSY KENSIT!!!

Three marriages to rock singers later and the men of music are shuddering in their boots to see who she'll get her claws into next!!!

Yes but she's quite well-known in her own right, she was in The Great Gatsby at the tender age of 4. Her CV is pretty long and a lot of it is pre-marriage to a rock star.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000475/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote:
    Yes but she's quite well-known in her own right, she was in The Great Gatsby at the tender age of 4. Her CV is pretty long and a lot of it is pre-marriage to a rock star.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000475/

It's very true, she was a well known name before her marriage to Dan Donovan of B.A.D, her band Eight Wonder were being touted as the next big thing at the time. I also think she filmed Absolute Beginners before the marriage.
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    It's very true, she was a well known name before her marriage to Dan Donovan of B.A.D, her band Eight Wonder were being touted as the next big thing at the time. I also think she filmed Absolute Beginners before the marriage.

She did indeed - I think she was about 18 at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've actually developed more of a liking for Patsy of late. She's the same age as me and as far as I can remember, has always been around in one way or another - mainly TV work and films as a child/teenager. I remember she was in a Haircut 100 video when I was a teenager and being very jealous! :o:D

I certainly don't rate her as an actress and don't remember Eighth Wonder doing many ... er.... wonders, but she definately was quite well known prior to her marriages.

Quite liked her on Parky the other week - thought she was very honest about her life and mistakes. I certainly didn't like her much during the 'Liam' period but I'm quite pleased to see she's pulled herself out of that and is back on TV.

Mind you, still don't rate her much as an actress ..... :rolleyes: ;)