Options

Which type of indoor arieal??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi, i live in quite a strong area, and the guy said in the shop that i could use an indoor areial to pick up freeview signals. I did a test with my loop areial on the top of my tv, and it picked up a few freeview channels, but not all of them. Which areial would you suggest would be the best to use indoors?? Please help me! Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I got one that is suitable for Freeview from Maplin about 3 years ago, they should still be selling them. I doubt the loop aerial is good enough to recieve all the frequencies that Freeview uses. I do have problems with electrical appliances (such as anything - even a light switch) glitching the signal, though I don't know if it's the box being spiked via the mains supply, or if the aerial is picking up the interference.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you just buy a small aerial and stick it to the wall on the outside wall?
  • Options
    Skyblue81Skyblue81 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I find that a cheapo aerial from Wilko works better than 30 quid posh models. I'm 20m from transmitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice whilst flicking throught the Argos catalogue :o that a couple of their indoor aerials are rated to use with Freeview. Might be worth checking out?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I got my power arc aerial from there. it needs 2 batteries once in a blue moon (use some good duracells) it lives ontop of my wardrobe and is very happily picking up all muxes.

I'm abt 30 miles from sutton coldfield
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    MRDAB wrote:
    Hi, i live in quite a strong area, and the guy said in the shop that i could use an indoor areial to pick up freeview signals. I did a test with my loop areial on the top of my tv, and it picked up a few freeview channels, but not all of them. Which areial would you suggest would be the best to use indoors?? Please help me! Thanks!
    Dan

Picked up an unpowered one for 5.00 in Argos (end of line I think). Full signal on all Mux in Oxford.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Is there a resource for finding out how good the signal strength is? I'm going to be getting freeview in my new house. Its in welwyn garden city and the postcode says it can receive freeview.

At the mo there is no aerial, so if i could get one fixed up in the loft, that would be perfect and save me some money!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks, ive seen a Maplin one fro £19.99, and looked at Argos, and the same one is £9.99, ill give it a try if its crap, ill take it back, thanks for your help!
    Dan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Gazza487 wrote:
    Yeah I got my power arc aerial from there. it needs 2 batteries once in a blue moon (use some good duracells) it lives ontop of my wardrobe and is very happily picking up all muxes.

I'm abt 30 miles from sutton coldfield

Could you give more information on your reception? Do you know that your getting your signal from Sutton Coldfield? Do you live to the South East of Sutton?

We are having a discussion of reception in the US and reception like you have is unheard of here. We typically have 1000 kW transmitters that are hard to recieve only blocks away and any transmitter with less than 100 kW is looked at as severly underpowered.

So your reception at 30 miles from a transmitter in Sutton at either 8 kW or 10 kW is seen as impossible.

Any information or photos of your antenna or info on the terrain between you and Sutton would be appreciated.

Bob Miller
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member
    robmx wrote:
    We are having a discussion of reception in the US and reception like you have is unheard of here.

Yeah but whilst indoor reception might be unheard of, you do at least get a nice crispy HD picture unheard of here ;)

Whilst some people can get decent indoor reception I don't think it's that common... many struggle to get good reception with a proper outdoor antenna.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I use a Thomson tv aerial,and i find its excellent and i get a really good reception..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjk79 wrote:
    Yeah but whilst indoor reception might be unheard of, you do at least get a nice crispy HD picture unheard of here ;)

Whilst some people can get decent indoor reception I don't think it's that common... many struggle to get good reception with a proper outdoor antenna.

Anyone in the US would be amazed at any kind of reception with the power levels you have.

Not going with HD is a political decision the UK made. Your modulation could deliver it as easily as what we have.

Our problem is that people can't reliably receive the signal with any kind of antenna at any power level if their locaton suffers from multipath.

What percentage of homes in the UK could get indoor reception if they did not already have a roof top antenna do you think?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    At home I'm 36 miles from the transmitter and get all muxes (bar the sky one) with a 20 year old aerial installation and dodgy wiring, god bless the Crystal Palace transmitter :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robmx wrote:
    Anyone in the US would be amazed at any kind of reception with the power levels you have.

Anyone in the UK would be amazed at the sort of picture quality you get when compared against the pixellated mess that some UK broadcasters transmit ;)
    What percentage of homes in the UK could get indoor reception if they did not already have a roof top antenna do you think?

If I remember correctly the BBC reckon that UK-wide indoor coverage is around 25% on our first floor (or your second floor ;)) and around 15% on the ground floor.

This compares to around 80% of the UK who can get reliable reception of at least some channels with the right roof-top antenna. Of course the UK DVB-T variant was never really designed for mobile/portable reception - in other European countries it has been.

The BBC R&D were interested in developing an indoor diversity antenna which would significantly improve reception on portable sets. http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP058.pdf

Either way an indoor aerial works for me here in the depths of Central London, surrounded by tall buildings and horrendous multipath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ajb3000 wrote:
    At home I'm 36 miles from the transmitter and get all muxes (bar the sky one) with a 20 year old aerial installation and dodgy wiring, god bless the Crystal Palace transmitter :D.

How about impulse noise problems? The received wisdom in the US is that UK DTV is so plauged with impulse noise problems as to be unwatcheable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjk79 wrote:
    Anyone in the UK would be amazed at the sort of picture quality you get when compared against the pixellated mess that some UK broadcasters transmit ;)

If I remember correctly the BBC reckon that UK-wide indoor coverage is around 25% on our first floor (or your second floor ;)) and around 15% on the ground floor.

This compares to around 80% of the UK who can get reliable reception of at least some channels with the right roof-top antenna. Of course the UK DVB-T variant was never really designed for mobile/portable reception - in other European countries it has been.

The BBC R&D were interested in developing an indoor diversity antenna which would significantly improve reception on portable sets. http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP058.pdf

Either way an indoor aerial works for me here in the depths of Central London, surrounded by tall buildings and horrendous multipath.

8-VSB, our modulation does not work in the depths of New York City even with 400 and 800 kW ERP transmitters.

Your problem with pixelation is not related to your modulation right? It has to do with how many programs they are trying to mux into your 8 MHz channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robmx wrote:
    Your problem with pixelation is not related to your modulation right? It has to do with how many programs they are trying to mux into your 8 MHz channels.

Yes, too many programmes squeezed into limited bandwidth compressed with elderly broadcast equipment gives naff picture quality.
    robmx wrote:
    How about impulse noise problems? The received wisdom in the US is that UK DTV is so plauged with impulse noise problems as to be unwatcheable.

That was a serious problem back when the DVB-T services first launched in '98. A series of ERP increases (here in London some channels went up from 3kW to first 10, then 20kW) along with a subsequent change of parameters to 16QAM on some multiplexes (and better receiver design) has helped maked reception more robust.

It still isn't immune from it though, noticably towards the edges of the service area where field strength is low, or in homes with poor aerials the weaker digital signal (especially channels using the less robust 64QAM modulation) is still prone to impulsive interference.