Options

Information on Internet Phones - Broadband or Dial-Up

IknowicouldIknowicould Posts: 3,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not sure whether a thread has already covered this topic, but I would appreciate tips from any one who has some experience with the best setup for making free international calls or cheap calls via broadband and/or dial-up to bypass BT and its call charges.

Information on tried and tested equipment and recommendation for free software to use would be gratefully welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    thetoaster3thetoaster3 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A program like Skype may help you.

www.skype.com
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Or www.sipgate.co.uk if you want a local phone number.
  • Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A program like Skype may help you.

www.skype.com

I recommend Skype it works with both dial-up and broadband. and you can call free pc to pc, and low cost calls to mobile and landlines.

You can choose a Skype-in number and receive calls and the Skype-in subscription includes voicemail free.

Its free to download and try, so "suck it and see"!

Widdy.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your best bet, is to get a Sipgate number, this is completely free unlike Skype-hype, and you can choose any area you wish, you can download various software to run the service, again unlike Skype which is proprietary. With Sipgate you can call other Sipgate numbers and many other VoIP networks for free.

You can then also register will www.call1899.co.uk, and use their service for out going calls, as they are completely free to ALL UK and German landlines and also USA and Canada numbers, not just other VoIP users. You can also use various software for 1899.

Skype is OK for kids, not for serious use.

http://www.bextech.me.uk/voip has some setup details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch for all the above.

Setting up a good/adequate internet telephone connection appears to boil down to 2 main areas - the hardware bits and the software part.

Re software, I have heard of skype and was looking for alternatives hence my call for help.

One area of interest is any free or shareware telephony software that works from the UK or anyone is currently using and can give me the low down.

On the hardware bit, I have AOL Silver broadband, which is not the best but at least 4 x better than dial-up.

I would require an internet phone set that can connect to my PC either through USB or my sound card.

It cannot be a USB PC phoneset as they are more expensive, from my investigations. Additionally, I prefer something through my soundcard as I have no spare usb ports left and I would like to minimise costs as much as possible.

I think I have now sorted the matter of the local number and I will register with www.call1899.co.uk, and use their service for out going calls.

Next would be VOIP networks and softwares for broadband to try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-Lite, Snom, Firefly are some of the software you can get for free, you can use a microphone and speakers / headphones or a USB device with these.

Links to these can be found here

You can always just use microphone and speakers from your sound card initially, and over time put a few pennies away each week, for a hardware solution if you wanted.

www.sipgate.co.uk are great, as they give you a number for free, I decided to have ones that are local and ones that aren't local too.

You can also get for free a USA number that can point to your Sipgate service so people from the USA / Canada can call if they don't have VoIP and so do not have to pay for international rates. http://phone.ipkall.com/ipphone

So as you can see, if you are happy to just use a software solution, with your existing microphone and speakers / headphones, then for absolutely no money you can have a VoIP service and make free calls too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The info you have provided is mega useful.

I will go over these and start experimenting and see how it goes.
  • Options
    hogpoghogpog Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks a bunch for all the above.

Setting up a good/adequate internet telephone connection appears to boil down to 2 main areas - the hardware bits and the software part.

Re software, I have heard of skype and was looking for alternatives hence my call for help.

One area of interest is any free or shareware telephony software that works from the UK or anyone is currently using and can give me the low down.

On the hardware bit, I have AOL Silver broadband, which is not the best but at least 4 x better than dial-up.

I would require an internet phone set that can connect to my PC either through USB or my sound card.

It cannot be a USB PC phoneset as they are more expensive, from my investigations. Additionally, I prefer something through my soundcard as I have no spare usb ports left and I would like to minimise costs as much as possible.

I think I have now sorted the matter of the local number and I will register with www.call1899.co.uk, and use their service for out going calls.

Next would be VOIP networks and softwares for broadband to try.

you can also download the voip software from call1899 and use a headset/mic to make calls using your internet connection as if you were making them from the phone number you registered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hogpog wrote:
    you can also download the voip software from call1899 and use a headset/mic to make calls using your internet connection as if you were making them from the phone number you registered.

Yes you can, but X-Lite and Firefly does the job much more reliably than 1899's software.

With 1899, you can register any number, and when you make calls the CLI will show up as that, be it mobile, landline, Sipgate, or fake.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Hi, BexTech - interesting info, but this page hurts my eyes. Just a comment, since some people may be put off by this. Black backgrounds are not very user-friendly. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote:
    Hi, BexTech - interesting info, but this page hurts my eyes. Just a comment, since some people may be put off by this. Black backgrounds are not very user-friendly. ;)

Sorry about that, maybe I should have two versions, and not just one as it is set to allow people with vision impairment to see it also, as I know a few people who have vision impairment, and they need the high contrast.
  • Options
    leoleo Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech, do you use 1899 for your phone service that you run at bextech.me.uk, or is that some othger completely different thing.
    Leo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leoedin wrote:
    BexTech, do you use 1899 for your phone service that you run at bextech.me.uk, or is that some othger completely different thing.
    Leo

Different services.
  • Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Your best bet, is to get a Sipgate number, this is completely free unlike Skype-hype, and you can choose any area you wish, you can download various software to run the service, again unlike Skype which is proprietary. With Sipgate you can call other Sipgate numbers and many other VoIP networks for free.

You can then also register will www.call1899.co.uk, and use their service for out going calls, as they are completely free to ALL UK and German landlines and also USA and Canada numbers, not just other VoIP users. You can also use various software for 1899.

Skype is OK for kids, not for serious use.

I never thought you would do it, but you have converted me. As of tonight I am not going to use skype any more for VOIP calls.

I have set up the system with 1899.co.uk and sipgate both using the x-lite softphone.

My cyberphone K usb handset is not fully compatable, so I am now on the look-out for a usb phone thats fully compatable with x-lite if anybody knows.

I also have a cyberphone k going cheap if anybody is interested :p

Widdy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Anyone having probs with 1899/voipbuster. Caller unable to hear!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems here!

Do you have a router that maybe causing the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1899 is it 3p a call??

ie it does cost something, its not completly free??!?!
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    zezayer wrote:
    1899 is it 3p a call??

ie it does cost something, its not completly free??!?!
    They have changed their prices. Infact 1899 VOIP calls to UK landlines are now 1p/min making it much more expensive than just using 1899 through a normal phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi BexTech Thanks for the input. I have had Zone Alarm and Xp's own protection switched off. I use a pci card for ADSL (Conexant)
    Is it perhaps something in respect of running (trying to) Xlite/Firefly/SJphone all at the same time. I have noticed that when Voipbuster is running and I try running Firefly I get a closedown message from XP in respect of trying to enable Firefly.
    Originally Voipbuster worked just the person called found it faint and somewhat broken. Perhaps its just since I tried other software I have cocked it up!
    Should one have more than one software phone installed at any one time?

Does NTL allow access to sipgate and its mates or does it "Block"? It would be nice to get rid of BT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If running more than one piece of software you need to alter the ports used, software one should use port 5000 and software two should use port 5005. VoipBuster uses IAX, Sipgate uses SIP. NTL don't block VoIP.

I have found people find my VoIP calls to be louder and clearer most the time, though occasionally there has been some break up.