Options

Have you Ever Written to a Celebrity??

Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone here has ever written a letter to a celebrity and maybe even had a reply??

I never have, even to that celeb that I was obsessed with.
I think its a bit too sad even for me.

My cousin did once write to Joanna Lumley(I have no idea why) and received an autographed photo but no letter. Ive also heard of people writing and e-mailing celebs and never hearing a peep out of them in response.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I have never written to a celeb. I always wanted to when I was a kid, but it wasn't like back in those days you could hunt down their address on the internet. (I'm not THAT old, but we just didn't have the internet in the early 80's!) Now, I think I would just feel silly and I'm glad I never did. What do you say?
    Um, Hi...you don't know me from a hole in the ground but I really like you for no reason because I really know nothing about you. Anyway, please write me back and validate my existence...
    (wow, I never realized I was so bitter)
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I always wonder what they do with fan letters.

Pile them all in the attic? Start a bonfire? Take them down the pub for a laugh? Wallpaper the dog's kennel?

Or maybe painstakingly stick them all in a colourful scrapbook all dated and filed in alphabetical order, with captions.

That would just be those who suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder naturally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally, if I were famous and people who I didn't know sent me fan mail I might be flattered at first. But then I would progressively start to creeped out.
    Sort of along the same vein, I read this story on BBC today that said this guy started writing to Camilla 10 years ago, telling her she wasn't all that bad and that people really like her....blah blah blah. And she said he restored her faith in humanity...and she sent him an invitation to the wedding. How weird is that?! I would NEVER let some wacko who just started writing me one day come to MY wedding!! He could be CRAZY!!!
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    crusty11 wrote:
    Personally, if I were famous and people who I didn't know sent me fan mail I might be flattered at first. But then I would progressively start to creeped out.
    Sort of along the same vein, I read this story on BBC today that said this guy started writing to Camilla 10 years ago, telling her she wasn't all that bad and that people really like her....blah blah blah. And she said he restored her faith in humanity...and she sent him an invitation to the wedding. How weird is that?! I would NEVER let some wacko who just started writing me one day come to MY wedding!! He could be CRAZY!!!

He is. She married him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL - touche
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is. She married him.
    Wouldn't "he" have got one of his flunkies to write the letters out on his behalf, in between squeezing out toothpaste and wiping his blue-blooded bum for him :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wrote to a few of the BG cast......not saying oh i love u i watch the show blah blah blah all i put was hi can i have your autograph please and about 3-4 months later i got 3 signed pics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I was wondering if anyone here has ever written a letter to a celebrity and maybe even had a reply??

I never have, even to that celeb that I was obsessed with.
    I think its a bit too sad even for me.

My cousin did once write to Joanna Lumley(I have no idea why) and received an autographed photo but no letter. Ive also heard of people writing and e-mailing celebs and never hearing a peep out of them in response.

A couple of years ago I emailed Alyssa Milano of Charmed, and got a reply, she thanked me for watching Charmed and that she had just been on vacation getting ready for the new series of Charmed. Also the new series was going to be explosive.
    It turned out it was the series Shannen Doherty left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wrote to take that when i was little. Never heard a peep from them :(
  • Options
    Neily NNeily N Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Myself and my partner wrote to our favourite footballers in the Premiership two months ago, but no reply since :(
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok to do this when you're a kid but any adults writing to celebs need to get a life basically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote:
    It's ok to do this when you're a kid but any adults writing to celebs need to get a life basically.

That's me, for one, then :rolleyes:

It depends what you mean by 'celebs' - I wouldn't write to someone because they are a celeb, but equally I wouldn't not write to them because they happen to be famous/well-known.

Personally, I think it depends what you're writing for - I've written to people I admire (they may not necessarily be that well-known) since I was a kid (I'm now 34), and whilst I might've been requesting Adam Ant's hand in marriage when I was 12, now it might be just a letter of support - don't forget that, unless it's someone like Elton John, (who probably resents letters of 'support'), they are just human beings like you and I, and they often mean a lot to them.

Likewise, I get a giggle almost every time I look at my signed picture of Ricky Gervais, as David Brent in 'The Office', next to my PC. :)

The point I'm making is that I don't ever feel the urge to write to someone, in the hope of receiving a reply, just so I can have 'a letter from someone famous' - on the contrary, that has no appeal for me, whatsoever, but if I admire someone for something - be it Kate Winslet for her acting skills, or the elderly man at the end of the road for his painting skills, I find it nice to have something of their work signed by them - so a signed DVD of 'Neverland' (in time...! :p ) or a signed painting by an unknown artist, because it means something to me is pleasing.

Equally, if I passed Chris Martin, handing out autographs, as I'm not a fan of anything he's done (tho' glad he made Gwyneth happy :) ), I'd walk on by - well, unless I decided to take one to sell on eBay! ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've written to many actors/actresses over about 2 years and I have 8 signed photos and 1 letter. The letter was from Thusitha Jayasundera of The Bill and my signed photos are of her, Amanda Redman, Jessie Wallace, Kacey Ainsworth, Jennifer Saunders, Sally Lindsay, Caroline Quentin and Jan Pearson. I like having a little collection it's something I like to talk about with others. I'm 15 by the way.
  • Options
    haggy-mehaggy-me Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad as it is i wrote to Mark Homer who played Tony Hills in Eastenders years ago. :o He sent me a signed photo which was nice.

My little brother wrote to Kathy Burke a few years back requesting a photo for he's teacher who was obsessed with Gimme, Gimme, Gimme - she was a star! Sent two very funny pics of herself as Linda one to my brother and one for his teacher and a lovely message too. :)

The only celeb i'd really like to write to now is Michael J Fox, i know i wouldn't get a reply but i adore him!
  • Options
    ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    I wrote to a few footballers in my teens - one, Gary Crosby, who played for Nottingham Forest, wrote me a really nice letter back, which I still have somewhere. The others (Neil Webb, Nigel Clough) just sent me signed photographs. The only one who didn't reply was Stuart Pearce, who was my hero :(

My best mate in school had a huge thing about Tim Polley, who played Banksie, in Grange Hill. She wrote to him and got quite a pervy letter back :eek: from what I can remember (she said she was older than she was) which, unfortunately, her mum found and went mad :eek: :(
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wrote to Richard O'Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole of The Crystal Maze when I was a teenager. Within 3 weeks I received personalised signed pictures of both of them, and they both sent me 2 page long handwritten letters each, which I thought was lovely. I only expected a generalised reply from both at the most, but they took the time and effort to reply personally and talked away to me in the letters like I was their friend and included jokes and some behind-the-scenes information for me about the show. I felt so honoured that they made the effort, and they both came across as really nice genuine guys. Made my year! Of course I'm older and wiser now, wonder if I should write to some others and see what I get...!

Paddy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote:
    I wrote to Richard O'Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole of The Crystal Maze when I was a teenager. Within 3 weeks I received personalised signed pictures of both of them, and they both sent me 2 page long handwritten letters each, which I thought was lovely. I only expected a generalised reply from both at the most, but they took the time and effort to reply personally and talked away to me in the letters like I was their friend and included jokes and some behind-the-scenes information for me about the show. I felt so honoured that they made the effort, and they both came across as really nice genuine guys. Made my year! Of course I'm older and wiser now, wonder if I should write to some others and see what I get...!

Paddy :D

I wrote to Richard O'Brien when I was 16, after seeing The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time - I sent him a questionnaire and he filled that it, plus sent me a signed photo and a letter. Every Christmas he used to send a signed photo and whenever a new Rocky Horror touring production was about to begin, he'd send a signed flyer. It only stopped when I gradually stopped writing (can't think why :confused: Life, I guess :rolleyes: ) and I suppose he must've thought I was no longer a fan/interested - now I really wish I'd kept writing, because I'd love to still get those Christmas postcards and flyers, if he still sends them out, and treasure the collection I do have.
  • Options
    ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    Used to write to Jim all the time, :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ohmygosh wrote:
    Used to write to Jim all the time, :p

And did he ever 'fix it'? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I wrote to 'Jim'll' (as I thought his name was) sev. times, the most appalling letter being a request to perform with The Spinners.
  • Options
    Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol me and my friend were going to write to Jim to ask him to send us to Disneyworld!! We were going to say that we were really poor and had never been on holiday anywhere before. Which was a lie of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    i have never wrote to a "celeb" before, feelin like iv missed out. think i might jst pen a letter now. lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    My sister once wrote a letter to' Jim ' asking if I could be chased up a dead end ( and be caught!) by Starsky and Hutch :D:o

She didn't send it though, I still have it all these years later!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sister once wrote a letter to' Jim ' asking if I could be chased up a dead end ( and be caught!) by Starsky and Hutch :D:o

She didn't send it though, I still have it all these years later!!

Oh, that's brilliant - what an unusual request! I would have loved to have seen that!!!! :p
  • Options
    ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    And did he ever 'fix it'? ;)

Not for my true dream :cry: of meeting AHA and spending the day with them, but (I think mentioned before;) ) I did get a rather snazzy train shaped limited edition record of Take on Me, How the blazes are you by the way good I hope:)

OMG.......