Options

bt broadband problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
Forum Member
✭✭
I am on bt broadband 2meg connection, ever since my upgrade i have been disconected up to 15 or more times a day I an go a nearly 2 days before this happens or as yesterday it has been doing it at least once an hour. sometimes i can connect again straight away, sometimes not and i have to reboot as it tells me there is no dial tone. I have spoken to bt and they want to send someone out to check my line before reporting a fault, for this they have said if the enginners comp does not disconnect then they will charge me £130. As the disconnects happen whenever they feel like it, should i expect the engineer to just come and plug the comp in and then say not disconnecting me £130 please. I am so angry :mad: they were really un helpful

If anybody has any ideas how i can check this myself or how to get bt to check it without charging me £130. Or if you know how to solve it i would be really gratefull

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Kev_AkasKev_Akas Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Operating System you running? What device are you using to connect? Did these dropouts occour after the 2 meg upgrade?

Is your modem on an extension? If yes try it at the main socket to elimintate your extension as the problem. Are all your phone devices microfiltered? If not then that needs sorted.

Does the power light go off when you get disconnected? If so check powerm managment on your USB ports & Modem in device manager.

You can get the Booster package at http://www.voyager.bt.com/booster/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I have noticed a similar type of problem. I have tried all sorts to try and cure this.

The problem has started since the upgrade to 2meg. The service prior to this has been great.

Just out of curiosity - what exchange are you on and what modem are you using. Im on the Sunderland North exchange and using a USB Alcatel. Im operating Windows XP sp2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My operating system is windows XP sp1 my modem is on an extention, I can't try the main socket as it is by the front door and i can't get the comp to it. My phones are all microfiltered. The lights all stay on on the alcatel speedtouch modem. I think i'm on the greenhithe exchange, not sure how to find out for definate.

Thanks for the responces
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem,
    What i had to do was, Download the latest drivers for the modem from bt.com.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the latsest drivers but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bewitched wrote:
    I am on bt broadband 2meg connection, ever since my upgrade i have been disconected up to 15 or more times a day I an go a nearly 2 days before this happens or as yesterday it has been doing it at least once an hour. sometimes i can connect again straight away, sometimes not and i have to reboot as it tells me there is no dial tone. I have spoken to bt and they want to send someone out to check my line before reporting a fault, for this they have said if the enginners comp does not disconnect then they will charge me £130. As the disconnects happen whenever they feel like it, should i expect the engineer to just come and plug the comp in and then say not disconnecting me £130 please. I am so angry :mad: they were really un helpful

If anybody has any ideas how i can check this myself or how to get bt to check it without charging me £130. Or if you know how to solve it i would be really gratefull

Many Thanks

Before I start can I just ask, where was the person you spoke to? There are only 2 call centres for BTBB at the moment so it was either newcastle or exeter? Did they arrange a callback to check up on this? Did they ask you to call the technical helpdesk? Sorry, but we at one call centre get very angry at the other because they seem to refuse to do their job properly and we have to pay for it... :mad:

OK, back on topic. What modem are you using?
    The booster patch is only applicable for the voyager 100 and voyager USB.
    Your power management settings are only applicable if your modem is connected through the USB port.
    If you have the voyager 205, then just take that to the main socket, plug it in, and keep an eye on it to see if it disconnects. The 205 will connect automatically so you'll need to keep quite a close eye on it, which might get quite boring I'm afraid... :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi i rang the custmer surport number 0845 600 7030 so i don't know who i spoke to i'm afraid. I'm using alctal speedtouch modem the green clam shaped one.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The problem may also be being caused by the USB modem. You really *do* need to try it out plugged directly into the master socket without a filter and with everything else (telephones, Sky, etc etc) unplugged. If you can, try out a different modem, or preferably an ADSL router.

Unless you have eliminated the possibilities that it is a problem with your kit / set-up and *not the line then you do run the risk of being charged by BT for a call-out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bewitched wrote:
    Hi i rang the custmer surport number 0845 600 7030 so i don't know who i spoke to i'm afraid. I'm using alctal speedtouch modem the green clam shaped one.

Sounds like you have BTYahoo BB rather than BTBB (I work on BTBB). Unfortunately subtle but sometimes devastingly different...

OK, that doesn't need the booster as far as I know. It is USB powered though so you would need to check your power management settings (BTYahoo should have given you the correct settings or referred you to people that can). If these are all ok then unfortunately there is only checking by the main socket, unless you can convince them that your modem is faulty and get a replacement (if it's under 12 months old and you got it from them).

Did they test your BB service?
    You might want to 0800 800 151 and get them to test your BB and line. That is the no. for BTBB help, they won't be able to do much more than that, but may be able to give you some idea of whether your on the edge of the range for a 2meg service. If this is the case then you might want to consider getting it downgraded to 1meg to stop the disconnections... Alternatively you can put you telephone no. in the Broadband availability at

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1483541249.1113160801@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddefmgmdlkcflgcefkdffndfkk.0&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1128&obsPage=/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=99101

If it says they may need to send an engineer for 2 meg then I would expect the Broadband to work in the main socket but not in the extension and again would advise trying to downgrade to 1meg...

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Ixitxachitl, Thanks for the help. Yes i do have bt yahoo. I have typed my number in to the link you gave me and it said "Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 2Mb." Nothing about an engineer so i assume this is ok. I will give the number you suggested a ring tomorrow to see if they can help. They didn't give me any settings so i might have to ring them again to make sure i have the right ones. They did say they ran a check on my line while i was on the phone to them and that was ok. My exchange is couple of miles down the road. I will have a word tomorrow thanks for you help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem, hope you have better luck tomorrow...

Edit:
    Just thought about other options that are open to you.

For costs that are a great deal less than an engineer call out charge you could either get a router that you can plug in at the main socket and connect from there, or get a longer modem cable (forget what kind of RJ cable this is) that will connect your modem from where the PC is directly to the main socket...

Re Edit:
    The modem you have wont take a modem extension so if they keep going on about engineer charges I would advise thinking about getting a router to connect with in the main socket and then either a wireless connection or running an RJ45 (ethernet) cable to your PC...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bewitched - if you get to fix this could you get in touch.

this problem is driving me nuts.

thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still haven't had any luck getting through on that number. Gonna have one last go tomorrow. although touch wood since unplugging the modem from the extention cable i have only disconnected once since 11 yesterday morning. Might only be a fluke though so who knows. If i get it sorted for definate then i will PM you with what i did to fix it. If you happen to fix yours could you let me know as well please
    Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have tried a few things to try and fix this.

Without tempting fate i have been connected solid for 12 hours today. I have downloaded a utility thing called connection keeper and this seems to be doing the trick. I have also closed down btmessenger - mainly because I dont use this. It might be a co incidence but it might be worth trying both.

It would be interesting to see what Bt say about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi PlacidCasual, I don't use bt messenger so that is ok. Where do you get this connection keeper from, is it possible you could pm me with the place please. I did get kicked off again this morning, but it is happning least often at the moment.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks PlacidCasual i ahve put a filter on the socket with the Sky and so far so good i have been connected for 2 days now. Thanks again for your help
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you have BTYahoo BB rather than BTBB (I work on BTBB). Unfortunately subtle but sometimes devastingly different...
    Crikey, I didn't think there would be much difference between the two :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey, I didn't think there would be much difference between the two :)

Yes, among others, we have a freephone 1st line helpdesk, where BTYahoo have a local rate no. We give full modem support for the modems we send out, BTYahoo do not. All our call centres are in the UK, BTYahoos aren't. BTYahoo have individual usernames/passwords, we don't (mikey.mouse@btbroadband.com would work just as well as name.name@btbroadband.com and we don't have passwords).
    Advantages of BTYahoo are larger usage caps though (among others), so it all depends how technical you are when deciding who to go with... ;)