Options

Lauren Bacall - a living legend?

Having watched 'Parky' on Saturday night, and having just heard Lauren Bacall on Steve Wright's BBC R2 prog this afternoon, I have total respect for Lauren.

The Big Sleep is one of my all time films (if you haven't seen it, where have you been? Head down to Blockbuster now!), and she still commands enormous gravatis and presence now as she did when she graced the silver screen with 'bogie'.

She is sooo right when she says that current 'stars' are not up to the same stratosphere as Cary (not Carrie!!!) Grant's, Spencer Tracy's and James Stewart's of this world. I totally agree with her!

Comments

• Options
    Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    she' still a sexy lady and enjoying flirting with Parky - bless em!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    She's on The Paul O'Grady Show tonight....should be interesting!
  • Options
    tonbangerattytonbangeratty Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinminer wrote:
    She is sooo right when she says that current 'stars' are not up to the same stratosphere as Cary (not Carrie!!!) Grant's, Spencer Tracy's and James Stewart's of this world. I totally agree with her!

So she's an old bag saying things aren't as good as they used to be - wow.

Didn't see the interview - was she complimentary about any modern stars, or are they all just a shower of sh*te in her books?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So she's an old bag saying things aren't as good as they used to be - wow.

Didn't see the interview - was she complimentary about any modern stars, or are they all just a shower of sh*te in her books?

she was just chit chatting - imagine the life she has led and the lovers she's had - ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She has been pretty complementary about a few modern actors, especially Johnny Depp (which I can understand) and Hugh 'Notting Hill' Grant which I can't!
  • Options
    OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also likes Michael Gambon .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popbitch reports -
    Lauren Bacall yesterday at a book signing insisted on
    an armchair for her dog, and ordered a glass of
    chilled Evian - which she poured into the dog bowl.
    Classy Lady. If it had been one of the new breed of slebs, it would have been some water you'd never heard of and champagne goody bags for all their mates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the interview on the paul o grady she seems to be all over the place one minute shes quite abrupt and rude the next shes trying to crack jokes. She seems a very grumpy old woman to me!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ange wrote:
    From the interview on the paul o grady she seems to be all over the place one minute shes quite abrupt and rude the next shes trying to crack jokes. She seems a very grumpy old woman to me!!!

name me an 81 year old who isn't!?!
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan is 81 and not at all grumpy! Don't be so ageist!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote:
    My nan is 81 and not at all grumpy! Don't be so ageist!

:rolleyes: It was a joke! honestly what's with everyone tnite?!

My great gran is 94 and she's not grumpy either I was just trying to be humorous!

I'll get my coat.............
  • Options
    cyfrincyfrin Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LB is a legend. She was brilliant on Parky & PoG :)

I hope I am still as bright as her at 81!
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i used to love her but the more i see of her, the more i dislike her - she just blindly slags everyone off, it's a bit boring now (all the promote her book remember).

as for being a 'star', i agree that the stars of yesterday 'shone' more than current ones BUT i think, technically, today's actors wipe the floor with them. in the 40s/50s i think people played a variation on themselves more than they do now - ie bette davis, cary grant etc. that's not to say they weren't brilliant, i just think today's *better* actors are much more versatile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she was just chit chatting - imagine the life she has led and the lovers she's had - ;)

i'm not a big fan of these people relying on past glories too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote:

I'm relying on past glories already :(:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm relying on past glories already :(:D:D

she's 82 though, aren't you about 15?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote:
    she's 82 though, aren't you about 15?

:D:D:D that's what I mean - reliving my childhood ;)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ68 wrote:

Sorry but I am a fan of these older stars , they worked hard , they were talented and they got paid a damn site less than todays so called film stars .

I think quite a few of todays "stars" could learn a thing or two by looking at their predecessors and how they behaved . And realised the only reason they are in their job is because of people who pay to watch their films ! it is not a God given right, even though they may behave as though it is.

And as for people saying she is grumpy , Good on her if she is. In this day and age if you are lucky enough to reach the fine old age of 81 I think you have earnt the right to be a bit of a grump now and then.