Thomson DTI-2300/2305: Unresolved problems

Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
Forum Member
✭✭
I started this thread to see if anyone has any information about the many problems the box has. Thomson's replies to e-mails are useless, and since August the updates have done little to fix the problems.

Issues I have noticed:

1) Encrypted channels (Top Up TV channels) freeze occasionally for a few seconds. With the SDN TUTV channels the screen goes black, and the picture returns in about 5 seconds. With the other TUTV channels, the picture freezes for a few seconds, then returns. The difference is probably due to SDN having many streams crammed in. This is not reception related (experienced it from 3 transmitters and no other channels are affected) and has only occured since the last update to the box (December 2004)

2) The Now/Next EPG doesn't work when you press up and an MHEG application has loaded in the background (a well documented bug - been around since August). 8 Months later and no fix.

3) The 7 Day EPG is erratic, sometimes it shows listings from the next day instead of the current day, sometimes nothing shows up.

4) MHEG is very slow, the Thomson DTI-1000 which has a much better EPG and seems to work correctly is much faster than the DTI-2300.

I'm sure I have missed some, hopefully others can contribute.

Thomson has given many updates to the other products they have released, it seems that the DTI-2300 is neglected. Sometimes it makes me want to get rid of TUTV and have my DTI-1000 back on this TV.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am Having the same probs with the box,
    1 or 2 second pause usually happens on UKTV Gold,
    EPG does suck:
    Am i right in saying the EPG data is got when you turn to the channel, not prior to doing anything (like on my old panny TUCT-20 on which epg was spot on). Hopefully the next software update will fix this and make the epg download a periodic thing rather than an on-demand (and usually late) download of the data. the epg doesnt show incorrect days though afaik????

Apart from these 2 niggles the box is superb, if the epg is sorted out it would be a great box.

Any1 else?????

EDIT:: MHEG i only have trouble on Teletext Channel 9, BBCi is fine, quick as could be, so are yooplay games and The Hits Interactive.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the box could be in the top 5 if it had a good update to fix the problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    There have been a number of threads about the Thomson DTI2300/2305 problems.

<RANT>
    It seems that Thomson never read Digitalspy forums, even though I think a number of people have told them about the issues raised here. Please correct me if I am wrong on that point - perhaps Thomson ARE reading the forums but don't regard the bugs we mention as "showstoppers".

8 months to do a test-and-fix of bugs they have known about for 8 months is terrible. If we'd had those kinds of outstanding issues in the products whose firmware I used to help write and test, the test and coding teams would've been in a lot of hot water, and the company might have gone under.

They have to face the reality that these days consumers expect bug-free firmware in their home entertaintment devices. Of course, we know that this is impossible, since no software is 100% bug-free, but consumers should at least have the right to expect their home entertainment devices to function in the way the manuals have them to expect them to.

So anyway.. here's a fairly comprehensive list of things that Thomson should read asap!
    • Encryption(?) causing intermittent blank-screening on some TUTV channels, which seriously impact viewing.
    • Channel numbers sometimes get jumbled when you do a new channel search (Sky News becomes 1, bbc1 becomes 39 or something). This one is usually sorted by jumping into the favourites menus and sorting the ALL CHANNELS group.
    • Now/Next EPG appear to be completely useless and hardly ever display the right data unless there you switch channels back and forth (sometimes more than once). You just get "No program information".
    • 7 Day EPG displays incorrect information more often than not. Sometimes the day before, or the day after the actual day it is.
    • MHEG seems to be sluggish compared to some other boxes, and the buttons are very slow to respond in MHEG applications.
    • Related to the MHEG issue is probably the volume control bar not being shown some of the time, which I would assume is to do with the MHEG layer loading over the top of the volume bar layer.

Thomson, also.. please.. please.. please.. get yourselves a decent website please. You are not doing you or your customers any favours by having such a difficult to use site which seems to deny you even make DTT set-top boxes. News/firmware update schedules, manuals, etc.. would make things a lot easier for your customers and for you.

</RANT>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

GOOD WORK SHERLOCK, i cant believe theyve finally got a page on it!!!! All ive usually seen is a link to the DTI1000 page, i see there is little in the way of specs, online manuals etc... still, nice hunting there sir, eyes of the eagle and all that (reference to bravestar if anyone remembers it :D )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrvanx wrote:
    GOOD WORK SHERLOCK, i cant believe theyve finally got a page on it!!!! All ive usually seen is a link to the DTI1000 page, i see there is little in the way of specs, online manuals etc... still, nice hunting there sir, eyes of the eagle and all that (reference to bravestar if anyone remembers it :D )
    Thanks...although I did post that link some weeks back in a thread discussing the similarites between that box, Access Devices and Inverto I think. It is well hiden, and I couldn't find any direct links to it from the standard UK website...so it is like a needle in a haystack.
    Now all they have to do is expand upon the info given, like most of the other DTT receiver manufacturers
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    While we're on the subject of the thompson DTI 2300.....I done a scan on my box and it found a upgrade/download or something like that. I'm not sure what it does as I'm just downloading now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote:
    While we're on the subject of the thompson DTI 2300.....I done a scan on my box and it found a upgrade/download or something like that. I'm not sure what it does as I'm just downloading now.

When I switched mine on at about 7.10pm it announced it had found an upgrade. About 20 minutes later it said that the upgrade was complete and it's now showing as version 6.01.18, but I'm sure it was version 6.01.21 before (although I didn't write it down to check against, unfortunately, but I know it definitely ended in .21). Can someone confirm if this IS the latest version? Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checked mine and it's on 6.01.18, that was first broadcast some months ago. Just tried the scan for upgrades option and got the message "No versions detected".

This version didn't change much anyway: Minor MHEG fixes and updated Mediaguard libraries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6.01.18 was broadcast from December 10th (Friday) onwards. It stopped being broadcast some time later, due to too many bugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    6.01.18 was broadcast from December 10th (Friday) onwards. It stopped being broadcast some time later, due to too many bugs.

Strange that my box found the updae last night then. And since it updated I've found that the picture has started freezing for a second or two at a time, particularly on E4. Very peculiar!
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    "Thomson OAD" now have a data services licence from Ofcom for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that my box found the updae last night then. And since it updated I've found that the picture has started freezing for a second or two at a time, particularly on E4. Very peculiar!

TUTV said it was pulled in an e-mail from their CS (although they do make stuff up).
    chrisy wrote:
    "Thomson OAD" now have a data services licence from Ofcom for some reason.

Probably because the BBC Engineering channel has a licence which it can use for all of the downloads it does, but SDN doesn't so Thomson has got a licence to keep DTI 2300 updates broadcasting constantly.
  • marbles316marbles316 Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm i have an FDT500 and with the old and the newest firmware, get the same problems as the 2300, in that the EPG data will often only appear when you go to that exact channel, or sometimes EPG data will only appear for the channels on the mux that the channel you're currently watching is on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I have just had to replace my DTI2300 as it died on sunday night,and took the opputunity to replace it with an Echostar T105.I'm glad to see the back of the thomson as it was the worst digital reciver i have owned,if your's die's get a T105
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Jelly4stu

I wish my thomson would die I'm fed up waiting on this update to solve the problems it probably won't solve them anyway.
    Could you let the forum know how you get on with the echostar 105T and give us your veiw on it's quality EPG etc, I quite like the look of it and I know echostar make great satellite recievers but I have no info on this box
    Thank's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Thomson box really falls short of the standards that their previous boxes had. They still get updates....

Although I have heard the Echostar has a few issues (not just the size) and is not as good as the T-101 (FTA only).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    The OAD was pulled over the xmas period to stop an influx of "new" customers being subjected to the download so shortly after connecting it up. It was supposed to be resumed after the new year but it has been halted until the license came through.
  • asjonesukasjonesuk Posts: 8,954
    Forum Member
    Just to note that our box sucessfully updated to version 6.01.18 on Saturday morning.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    The Thomson box really falls short of the standards that their previous boxes had. They still get updates....

Maybe this one is that bug ridden its taking months to sort out? Yes i do own one and yes it does get right on my tits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I have had the update 6 .01.18 since december and the update still has not fixed any of the main problems with this box EPG , TEXT etc a slight improvement in picture and sound maybe but this box should not be on sale it does not do what it says on the tin .
    I think we should take them back to the shop and get our money back as Thompson could not care less as long as the money keeps coming in and as for the magazines awarding it best performer in their tests are these guy's who test them blind or what ? or just please to take the money. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    oh no i just bought one of these today!! (the DTI2300)

i posted on here yesterday because i purchased a fusion top-up tv box that basically failed after about 5 mins. anyway i took it back today and they exchanged it for the thomson model.

so far i have no major issues with it (only been on for about 10 mins though) but it worked straight out of the box, perfect picture on all channels and i don't seem to be getting the interference as motorcycles drive past as i did with my ex-on digital nokia box!

my only gripes (so far) are: as i flick up/down through channels i get this blue box saying "data services loading please wait" - what's that all about? also the guide is incredibly slow to load and the remote is pretty tacky and badly laid out.

apart from that... seems to work, so far....
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh no i just bought one of these today!! (the DTI2300)

i posted on here yesterday because i purchased a fusion top-up tv box that basically failed after about 5 mins. anyway i took it back today and they exchanged it for the thomson model.

so far i have no major issues with it (only been on for about 10 mins though) but it worked straight out of the box, perfect picture on all channels and i don't seem to be getting the interference as motorcycles drive past as i did with my ex-on digital nokia box!

my only gripes (so far) are: as i flick up/down through channels i get this blue box saying "data services loading please wait" - what's that all about? also the guide is incredibly slow to load and the remote is pretty tacky and badly laid out.

apart from that... seems to work, so far....

It does have some bugs in the software, but for watching tv with it I am very happy

Once you get to know some of the quirks it has its not a bad box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    It does have some bugs in the software, but for watching tv with it I am very happy

Once you get to know some of the quirks it has its not a bad box

Quirks? You could work for Thomson!

Since when has having slow MHEG, an unusable EPG and the freezing of encrypted channels been a quirk?
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    Quirks? You could work for Thomson!

Since when has having slow MHEG, an unusable EPG and the freezing of encrypted channels been a quirk?

He He, No I dont work for them

MHEG is slow , but I dont use it too often

EPG - Dont use, Now/Next is fine because I allways put it on before I flick through the channels (doing this allways give the correct info)

I dont get freezing of encrypted channels (occasionaly It tells me I dont have rights to access them, twice a month at most, but putting into standby and back solves this)