sony VTXD800U & panasonic DMR-EH50 hdd/dvd incompatible

Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
Forum Member
✭✭
hello all.

heres my set-up

sony VTXD800U
panasonic DMR-EH50 hdd/dvd

so, i'm wanting to record stb programmes onto the hdd on the panasonic using the timer function on the sony (sends a signal to the panny to start & stop recordings. if i'm reading correctly i need to

1 - highlight the programme in the epg on the sony & select it to 'timer' record

2 - set the panny to 'hdd' & press the 'ext link' which SHOULD leave the panny in standby awaiting the 'start' signal from the sony.

what happens is as soon as i press the 'ext link' button on the panny it starts the hdd recording rather than waiting for the 'start' signal from the sony.

what i'm thinking is the 2 machines are incompatible for this feature. it all seems to be connected correctly.

any clues? :confused:

stuart

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Check that Ext-Link 1 is selected on the Panasonic scart input - Ext-Link 2 mode records whenever there is a (PAL) video signal detected on the Scart (this assumes that the new model works the same as the old range..)
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RonW wrote:
    Check that Ext-Link 1 is selected on the Panasonic scart input - Ext-Link 2 mode records whenever there is a (PAL) video signal detected on the Scart (this assumes that the new model works the same as the old range..)

yeah that seems to work :) thanks. i'm pretty sure during my initial set-up that i set it to ext-link1 & all i saw was a black screen with the sound coming thru so i set it to ext-link 2. perhaps there was something else that i needed to change?

i'll see how it pans out. thanks again

stuart
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sony 800 box and one of the first Panasonic DVD-R's. I found that the two worked best together using the AV1 SCART on the DVD which doesn't have Ext Link ! Using AV2 which does have Ext Link and which the pretty pictures in the manual show connected to a STB of some description never worked regardless of what Ext-1/2/off I set it to. Using AV1 however the Sony would happily wake up the DVD and fire it into record.

However I gave up on this set-up in the end as the Sony only ever seems to want to output Composite video on the "VCR" SCART. I couldn't even get it to use S-Video which would have been moderately better and as for RGB.......

It also won't transfer the programme titles to the Panasonic which could make finding one recording out of several a bit more of a pain than it should be.

Now I just have my old Panasonic TUCT20 box that was heading for the bin when I bought the Sony and use that in RGB mode for the few recordings I make. But it does mean I can't change channel or set up a timer list (the TUCT20 isn't clever enough :D). But then again I never use it that way anyway so I don't miss that facility. Also means I can record a different freeview channel to the one I'm watching. Handy as I don't have an aerial plugged into the telly....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I record RGB from the Sony to the Panasonic - the trick is to make up (or bodge) a special Scart cable that takes the RGB signal on the TV output but with the appropiate Scart control pin cross-connected from the VCR Scart output to give timer control. Only thing I found was that this needed a diode (I used a 1N4000 type) to work correctly - and the Sony box always needs to be left switched on - rather than standby (not there is a whole lot of difference in power consumption between the two). The regular Composite/audio output from the VCR scart can still be used to feed the TV.