Options

Amstrad, Sky+ and TiVo

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Greetings all,

I am fairly new to Sky+, my father has been banging on about it for over a year now and I have always told him to keep quiet and rattled through all the features the Thompson TiVo has compared with Sky. Ok ok you effectively have two tuners with Sky+ but everything else is just childs play.

However....I made a call, moved house and decided (as I can now get Satellite which was not permitted in my previous property) to go for Sky+. My reason was simple, less boxes, wires, simplicity etc. Which for me is pretty good going as I am in IT and usually go for the complex option!

Another really great thing I liked was TV link, yes ok it is analogue and mono but it does the job and means I don't have a million and one radio frequencies buzzing round the house, what with the video senders, wireless LAN and dect phones.

So the usual cock ups occurred with the engineer turning up etc but eventually I had a lovely new Amstrad Sky+ box, I was quite proud because I thought it looked a lot nicer than my Dad's PACE receiver....boy was I wrong!

Our box crashes on average of once every three days and sods law most of the time during a recording! This of course is not great but what is even worse is having your Jewish wife going bananas every time it happens :)

I have called Sky on a number of occasions who have been completely dismissive, I asked whether they could send a PACE? They said no, I asked if they knew about these issues, they said no and finally they told me they wouldn't even replace the box until they had some ignorant engineer turn up and nod his head and say "hrrrm, can't say I have seen that before".

I understand that new technology needs patching believe me and TiVo were great at this, but come on this is pretty much a known fault.

Fault = use Sky in one room, TV link in the other and you get green vertical line and reboot.

So far as Amstrad is concerned, can you guys not develop a patch and get Sky to push this out?

Also whilst I am on a rant, how the hell do Sky get away with charging an extra £300 for a 160gb hard drive! Please....!

Anyways rant over...

Adam.

P.S. I sooo miss TiVo :cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    My Amstrad sky+ box is fine, both before and after upgrading to a Samsung SP1604N 160 gig drive.

You must have a faulty box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Adam

You really must have a dud box. I'd try to swop it for a Pace V2 when the engineer turns up. I've had a Pace Sky+ for over two years and it hasn't missed a beat, despite my interference with the original installation. It really is a well engineered bit of kit that gives great sound and vision.

The TV link needs to be switched on from the Menu that comes up with the Services button.

There is plenty of scope for adding wires, I assure you!.

Ian M.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    The problem is...

a) Sky will not swap the box for a PACE v2 on request.
    b) why should I have to swap the box when from what I have seen on the boards is a common error for Amstrad TV Link users.
    c) why has this fault not been rectified with a software update?
    d) Getting Sky out means waiting around and still no guarenteed swap out?
    e) transferring all my series links too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    The problem is...

a) Sky will not swap the box for a PACE v2 on request.
    b) why should I have to swap the box when from what I have seen on the boards is a common error for Amstrad TV Link users.
    c) why has this fault not been rectified with a software update?
    d) Getting Sky out means waiting around and still no guarenteed swap out?
    e) transferring all my series links too!

a) They are likely to swap the box anyway as the engineers do not repair on site, so get a pace if you can.
    b) I agree, however do you want it rectified or not?
    c) Have you considered that the fault is hardware based, not software based as some people with amstrads have no problems - could well be that amstrad quality control is not as good as pace?
    d) and e) Unfortunate - but a necessity if you want it fixed

Some people have a working amstrad box, some have a pace that causes trouble. However, it would appear that the pace is more likely to be ok than the amstrad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    The problem is... etc

You are caught up in the way we do business in 2005. At least you can usually find someone to talk to at Sky, unlike ISPs and PC parts suppliers. who don't seem to employ real people.

You have a right to a product that is fit for purpose and perfoms as described in the company's literature. The outcome depends on how firm and business-like you are in insisting on getting it. Why you should have to is another debate.

It seems from other threads that some installers only provide Pace boxes as replacements because Amstards cause so much trouble. This kind of information and your own experiences could make a good foundation for a formal complaint.

Afraid you have to do the bit about seeing the Technician before you can make progress. He might just be sympathetic and understanding and give you a Pace box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if all else fails, email james.murdoch@bskyb.com, he wont read the email, but contacting the CEO's office gets the problem sorted a lot quicker and usually to your full satisfaction.

JC