Options

The Anti-ITV thread!

Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
Forum Member
I don't know about every one else but I think they are defanatly getting worse. Bring back regionalisation and The Hearts!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can keep ITV and leave me with UTV. Much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    You can keep ITV and leave me with UTV. Much better.
    I want my old Yorkshire back. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Only way viewers will get the 15 regional companys back is write to Tessa Jowell.
    Explan that one has seriuos doubts about the way Offcom has let Charles Allen and Co ruin ITV.
    Point out all the things that is wrong with ITV and suggest that ITV go can to 15 companies.
  • Options
    PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want my old Yorkshire back. :(

I want my old Westcountry back too! With famous 'W' idents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    ..and I want Granada back with it's famous "G" arrow.

They don't even show the regional names before local programmes now.
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    Chris E wrote:
    ..and I want Granada back with it's famous "G" arrow.

Especially as the new Granada production ident is so dreadful!!!
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    There is one thing you can try to explain to Tessa Jowel how Itv can be regionalised but more profitable. I mentioned it in another forum but no-one listened so listen up. The reason Itv are reducing regional programmes is because they are too expensive to make. Fair enough, imagine having to fund each and every other region for their programmes. You end up making a loss rather than a gain, the viewing figures even if high doesn't bring in enough revenue to make up for the overall cost. I suggest that in return for their independence, Itv passes on the cost of regional programmes on to the regional networks themselves. That means having to fund themselves without any help from Itv such as from local authorities or even the public. Then whatever advertising revenue they each make they pass most of it on to Itv whilst keeping enough for themselves to keep going independently. It might just benefit everyone. The public get their fair share of local programming which are both entertaining and useful from local networks that retain their identity and are associated with Itv rather than owned by it. Itv gets loads of ad revenue for not lifting a finger!
    Can it work? What d'yall reckon? Obviously it will depend on most of the networks providing overall decent viewing figures for Itv on a regular basis, which will probably mean an overhaul of the kind of regional programming, perhaps make it appeal to a more varied mix of age groups.
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote:
    That means having to fund themselves without any help from Itv such as from local authorities or even the public. Then whatever advertising revenue they each make they pass most of it on to Itv whilst keeping enough for themselves to keep going independently.

I saw your idea in the other thread and meant to reply to it.. sorry, I forgot.

I'm afraid I personally wouldn't support any idea where ITV is paid to produce programmes.

I don't see why local authorities / the public / central government should subsidise ITV to produce programmes they used to have to produce anyway.

Obligations on ITV to produce regional programmes should be put back into their licences. The way the ITC and OfCom have capitulated to every request by ITV to reduce their PSB obligation is disgraceful.
  • Options
    Huch'netHuch'net Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    They just showed an Ant & Dec promotion telling us to join them in 15 minutes, somehow I think it was screened at the wrong time considering its not on till half an hour. :sleep:
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the trouble is itv make regional programmes that few people watch, so they reduce regional programming then people complain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they don't advertise regional programmes enough.

What ITV should do is-
    Give each region a one off lump sum of money. The regions then go and make their own programmes.

The region's then get total control of the advertising during their programmes, therefore getting all of the profits. They then go and use the profits from the advertising to fund for more new programmes.

They should give a certain time to regional programmes (excluding the news). 5PM-6PM Daily Maybe?

ITV should also bring back regional announcers. And when they are promoting stuff during the idents it should be regional. Anyway, what is stopping ITV from having idents with the regions names on (hearts) and regional announcers. It's not exactly going to kill them to hire an extra 11 people.
  • Options
    PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What ITV should do is-
    Give each region a one off lump sum of money. The regions then go and make their own programmes.

The region's then get total control of the advertising during their programmes, therefore getting all of the profits. They then go and use the profits from the advertising to fund for more new programmes.

They should give a certain time to regional programmes (excluding the news). 5PM-6PM Daily Maybe?

ITV should also bring back regional announcers. And when they are promoting stuff during the idents it should be regional. Anyway, what is stopping ITV from having idents with the regions names on (hearts) and regional announcers. It's not exactly going to kill them to hire an extra 11 people.

The regional announcers should be brought back - then there might be a chance for me..:cool: and the main ITV announcers are very ITV-like - tacky. One of our local announcers sometimes reads the local news, and often presents the loacal weather.

Why they don't bring back the regions during the day (after GM TV 'til midnight or something) then after those hours have the main ITV branding/announcers (so leave the crud until late!). If more broadcasting was left to the regions, it would create good advertising for ITV and the region, as they'd be doing something for the local area, and giving job opportunities, for people like me, who live no-where near London, I know lots of people who'd love to go into broadcasting, but are put-off because of it all being in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What ITV should do is-

That could be possible within the London & Central regions but I don't think there's enough advertising income in the other regions to cover the cost.

Television is an incredibly costly business.. part of ITVs reasons for consolidation is to get rid of some of the regional infrastructure costs .. To have to keep some of those costs in place to support a bit of regional programming every day would cost a lot of money that ITV doesn't want to spend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pad wrote:
    That could be possible within the London & Central regions but I don't think there's enough advertising income in the other regions to cover the cost.
    I don't think that is entirly true. Their are plenty of cities in other regions. The regions that would probly struggle the most would be Grampian, West Country and West of England.
  • Options
    most_hauntedmost_haunted Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does it really matter who announces the programmes????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    does it really matter who announces the programmes????
    Well if they were showing regional promo's on the idents, then, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think that is entirly true. Their are plenty of cities in other regions. The regions that would probly struggle the most would be Grampian, West Country and West of England.

I based it on the advertising costs in ITVs advertising rate card .. it's quite possible I'm wrong...

I did it as a little experiment.. a daily half hour programme on around 6pm with 4.5 minutes of advertising in it.

52 weeks = 260 weekdays, so 260 editions in a year.
    260 * 4.5 minutes = 1170 minutes a year = 2340 spots of 30 seconds

Based on ITVs rate card I make advertising income:

Anglia
    £1952 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 4,567,680.00 per year or £17,568 for each half hour edition

Border
    £140 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 327,600.00 per year or £1,260 for each half hour edition

Central
    £3758 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 8,793,720.00 per year or £33,822 for each half hour edition

Granada
    £1860 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 4,352,400.00 per year or £16,740 for each half hour edition

London
    £7962 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 18,631,080.00 per year or £71,658 for each half hour edition

Meridian
    £2951 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 6,905,340.00 per year or £26,559 for each half hour edition

Scottish & Grampian
    £127 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 297,180.00 per year or £1,143 for each half hour edition

Tyne Tees
    £745 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 1,743,300.00 per year or £6,705 for each half hour edition

Ulster
    £533 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 1,247,220.00 per year or £4,797 for each half hour edition

HTV Wales & West
    £1284 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 3,004,560.00 per year or £11,556 for each half hour edition

Westcountry
    £497 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 1,162,980.00 per year or £4,473 for each half hour edition

Yorkshire
    £1417 cost for a 30" spot x 2340 spots per year
    = £ 3,315,780.00 per year or £12753 for each half hour edition

Now you might accuse me of using arbitrary figures, which I accept, but it's all I had to go on..

You can see from the figures that the highest income figure is for the London region at £71,600..

In terms of the cost of production for television that's not an huge amount of money .. and London has more than twice the income of any other region. That is also assuming that the regional programming would attract the same kind of advertising income as other programmes in its slot.

Sorry for taking up so much space but I thought you might be interested to see the figures I worked out..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very interesting.

How about they collect all the regional ad revenue, and divide it equally between the region's?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would cheer me up if ITV just dissapeared tomorrow leaving blank screens where ITV1 and all it's other parasitic channels once showed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I want my old Meridian and Carlton/LWT back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought the idea behind ITV1 was that small, independant reginal companies could broadcast programmes ect and give them a chance, but since the mid 90's or so, most of them have been swallowed up by Carlton / Granada - and if what I thought was right, isn't this going against the original aims of the channel in the first place?

Like everyone says here, ITV1 is now nothing more than a national channel for most of us, yea, it has regional programming sometimes - but even BBC1 has that....
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't we just rant how c**p ITV programmes are???? Instead of wittering on about individual identity. Which as everyone should know ceased to exist about 1974, when marketting people started to place everyone into a 'category'. You are no longer an individual or a person, you are a member of a group.

On DS we are all categorised and neatly labelled so we can be tagetted with their advertising.

We are no longer free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I admire ITVs new commitment to drama .. one-offs and short series. - something which the BBC could learn some lessons from.

Otherwise I agree with Hamlet77 - ITV1 is an awful channel ..
  • Options
    Forum Member

What ITV should do is-

That's a good idea, as long as Itv don't mind the fact they wouldn't get any profits although that would still be more preferable to them compared to now where the current cost of regional programming costs Itv more than the meagre advertising revenue they get back in return so with your idea of the regional networks keeping all of the ad revenue it would still please Itv that they don't have to pay for the programmes in the first place. It might help the regional networks to survive easier than with my idea of them only keeping a small amount of what they earn while the rests goes to the money hungry Itv. :D
    If they covered all the costs of regional programming it might be a huge financial weight lifted off Itv's shoulders and they might then be more willing to suppport regional programming if they feel it will draw more of an audience to their national programs as a result. However, as I said before it will only work if the current types of regional programming is given a major overhaul and replaced with something more exciting. The question is what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pad, I've just read your calculation and your summing up. Are you saying if your calculartions are right then there is no profitable way for either Itv or the regions to produce regional programs? That might be why Itv are reluctant to continue regional programming. Is the cost of regional infrastracture and actual televison production just too high for Itv and it's regions? There must be some way to overcome this problem.