Options

why cant i watch TV in peace

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
Forum Member
im am sick and tired of annoying CRAP on the screen when i watch satellite television.

I was watching a touch of frost on ITV3 this week.....and the detective is standing next to his recently murdered partners coffin......along the top of the screen comes WHATS ON NEXT banner..........

Watching Alias series 4 on Bravo last night....top left hand corner of the screen telling me whats on Bravo at 10.00pm for three quarters of the episode........

I CAN JUST ABOUT LIVE WITH THE CHANNEL LOGO'S BUT
WHY DO WE PUT UP WITH THIS SHIT???

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think them logos are fine, as long as they don't swamp the screen, they're great for telling whats on next on foriegn sats when the text service is not up. Just viewing british tv they normally inform you of good stuff on channels you watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they piss me off aswell. we know whats next by pressing the buttons on the remote!!!
  • Options
    BigjakebluesBigjakeblues Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind any of this junk if it could be switch off an on.I object to it being on my screen when I can't remove it.I don't want a banner telling me what's on next or to watch something at 10pm next Monday.
    I don't need a logo to tell me what channel I'm watching.

Unfortunately the TV companies don't care what I want,all that counts is what they want.
    I've stopped watching movies on channels where there is a break for the news or where there are constant interruptions for ads.
    Luckily I have a very wide choice of channels.
    I watch Taxi every morning on 19E and there are no ads, it's terrific.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's getting to the point where the only way to watch programs or film unadulterated by commercial breaks, logos, what's on next displays and suchlike is to buy them on DVD. Even then, some DVD producers (like Disney) annoy us with anti-piracy warnings and coming-soons which you can't skip or fast-forward through (unless your player can disable the User Options Prohibition, and thusly adapted players are rare).
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write the broadcaster, if they get enough complaints then they might start reconsidering some of the ways they put their info across.

Alternatively I've found turning the tv off allows me to watch it in peace, no sound or pictures to distract me ;)
  • Options
    StarkickerStarkicker Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm getting less tolerant as I get older. My latest pet irritation (to add to the long list) is the habit of spliting the screen to tell you what's next and talking over the closing credits. I want to read the credits and listen to the closing music not have some idiot whittering over the top. It's even worse when the playout centre press the wrong button and you get the trailer they should have played before the programme or last week's trailer for the show you've just watched (this happened at the end of Huff on FX289 this week). Bring back live continuity announcers I say.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yer some of the channels do get on my nerves they treat you like your dumb they tell you whats on next in the advert break then split the screen during the program to tell you again.

I dont mind so much a little logo but when its in your face during a program you enjoy grr.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know why people moan about logos I never had a problem with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more about the logos these days. Some channels are really taking the piss lately. 3 corners of the screen occupied, huge multicoloured flashing animated logos, end credit promos, voiceovers and so on.

Seeing as all this is imported from the US you can count on things getting worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing i hate is signed language and subtitles
    as why not use 888 or by sky system setup.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I think about this, the more I see that Sci-Fi channel is one of the worst offenders; they run entire ad campaigns in the corner of the screen! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, Sci-fi is bad.
    I saw it recently when it was FTA for a few days and thought that info on the top left telling you about future progs was bad.

They think up these crappy ideas,and then the viewer is lumbered with them.

My answer is don't watch the channel.

As for telling channels what you think,I emailed BBC World a good while back when they increased the size of the logo, and got all this spiel back about lots of competition in television and the logo had to be increased to show the station off and make it prominant and memorable, and they had done surveys and most viewers liked it.
    So I think the Beeb with keep increasing the size of the logo.

They had made a decision and didn't care if the viewers didn't like it.

I've stopped watching BBC World.
    Last time I was flicking thru channels there was a ticker tape at the bottom so it's actually even worse than when I complained.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So one day we may be moaning the picture is to big and is obscuring the logo lmao
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modern wrote:
    I dont know why people moan about logos I never had a problem with them.

Because they are annoying, and spoil the programme!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I hate the perpetual scrolling ticker on the news channels, I want to pay attn to the current event not all the headlines scrolling across distracting me im at the point where I watch analogue news to avoid it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often go back to analogue to avoid the clutter.

If you buy a book you don't want the publisher stamped across every page.

Why do they think clutter on the screen is OK ?
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the problem is that the people who make tv rarely watch it as ordinary viewers. They probably never see a show as it actually goes out, covered in digital clutter.
    This may explain the general crapness of most british tv. :)
  • Options
    maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    MTV is the worst offender IMO for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You most clearly say its only the UK channels. The other MTVs get the presentation right. We dont want people thinking MTV UK is like MTV Europe ect...
  • Options
    maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Who said MTV UK is like MTV Europe? Many of us wish it was :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    You are not alone in your quest for crap-free tv.

http://logofreetv.org/

Join the campaign!