Options

Sky+ Failed recordings and Sky's idea of a fix

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
Forum Member
After the 3rd failded recording on Sunday, and tech support still having no timescale on a fix, I called Sky to cancel my subscription.

I was then transferred to the cancellations department.

After expalining why I was cancelling, I was transferred to a manager.

The manager in cancellations told me that the failed recording bug only affects Pace v2 boxes (which I have).

He then offered to send an engineer out to swap my box for a refurbed Pace v1 box - and he added "we will do this free of charge for you" :eek:

The cancellation request is still in place.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL thats one of the most fantastic things I have heard in a while. Ah well at least they tried :D

Tim
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The manager in cancellations told me that the failed recording bug only affects Pace v2 boxes (which I have).'

This is interesting: I have not heard Sky suggest to date that they have even identified that this bug is only evident on V2 boxes.

My V1 is unaffected and continues to work perfectly.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    This is interesting: I have not heard Sky suggest to date that they have even identified that this bug is only evident on V2 boxes.

Yes, I cannot remember the exact reson why, but they seemed to think that the software was incompatible with the v2 boxes. I think he mentioned specifically the HDD's.
  • Options
    stevebasteveba Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    ukguy wrote:
    Yes, I cannot remember the exact reson why, but they seemed to think that the software was incompatible with the v2 boxes. I think he mentioned specifically the HDD's.
    So if I swap my upgraded early V1 box to a V2, I get failed recordings instead of the 17 minute bug?

Perhaps I'll go for an Amstrad instead :rolleyes:
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that Pace V1's had a small update last Monday, where the Model number changed. I remember reading somewhere on here that this was possibly somekind of Bug fix.

Pace V2's have still to receive this update.

Possibly the manager meant that the Failed recording issue has been ' fixed ' on V1's thanks to the new model number, however it ' could ' still possibly occur on V2's until this is updated.

There may be some logic in it you know.....

.........Convinced ..........No me niether ;)

All those with failed recordings on a V1 since last Monday, enter stage left !!

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Remember that Pace V1's had a small update last Monday, where the Model number changed. I remember reading somewhere on here that this was possibly somekind of Bug fix.
    My V1 box with a 250G drive started to give failed recordings about a month ago. I did a few planner rebuilds, which fixed it for a while, but the problem came back after a few more days. I had had a few failed recordings in the past, just the odd programme here and there, but never to this extent.

So, as I also had "missing" disk space, which could not be recovered by planner rebuilds, a few weeks ago I removed the drive, and did a full drive erase in a PC (FSR doesn't work for 250Gb drives) using the Maxtor Powermax utilities. The box has been fine ever since.

I suspect one (of perhaps a number) of reasons for failed recordings is a file system corruption. If a recording starts, but there is an error allocating space on the disk (due to a file system corruption) then the recording fails outright?

Do people with failed recordings also suffer missing disk space? Go to the last program in the planner. Where is the yellow bar at the top of the screen? is there any dark blue bar after it, before the very slightly (look closely!) lighter blue indicating free space after it? Does a full system reset fix the problem? Remember a FSR will delete all recordings and planner entries!

It was myself who suggested Model updates were "bug fixes". I think they could be considered as the equivalent of driver or firmware updates in the PC world. But all I was really trying to pointing out was that they never introduce new functionality, such as the EPG changes (but they may be required to support new functionality). :)
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My V2 has been working fine for a long time! not seen any FAILED Recordings in a while.
  • Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote:
    My V2 has been working fine for a long time! not seen any FAILED Recordings in a while.

I also have a Pace V2 sky+, upto now it has worked/recorded with no issues. In fact, I can't remember the last time it failed to record what I wanted.

Dan.

The above statement excludes 'Series Link' failures, thats the broadcaster fault and missed recording caused by the ITV changing my region.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    daniel99 wrote:

Not had many problems until last Sunday when 3 of my 4 recordings failed - reason was cancelled - however they most certainly were not cancelled by me. 2 of them were actually recording ok when I went out?

As for this only affecting pace v2 boxes - if they admit this isn't it about time they fixed it or offered those of us with pace v2s a discount until they do? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regards James

Good evening!

The grand prix failed on my V1 box on Sunday ("unknown reason"). It was recording just fine when I checked it half way through.

And yes, I had the upgrade the other day.

:mad:
  • Options
    Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I have a Pace V1 and all recordings on Sunday failed. No reason why it just said failed in the planner. Plus I lost all recordings prior to Sunday. All has been fine since. Don't know if this means anything but it's well weird.
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pace V2's have still to receive this update.

Possibly the manager meant that the Failed recording issue has been ' fixed ' on V1's thanks to the new model number, however it ' could ' still possibly occur on V2's until this is updated.

There may be some logic in it you know.....

.........Convinced ..........No me niether ;)

Regards James

Thought post 1,429 would be a waste of time ;)

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, I'd hate to work for Sky. Having to defend a position with total lies. I'd feel all dirty.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time and time again I see Skyboxes/Dvd's/VCR's/Amps sitting on top of each other without adequate ventilation, and them failling because of it.

Its a shame that there are so many failed recording threads where there is no mention of overheating. Yes I know there are other software issues, but for the basis of diagnosis this should be the first question asked......Is the skybox fully ventilated? and is the skybox kept in a doored cabinet?

I mean, you would be annoyed if you asked a mechanic for advice about your flat battery and he told you to replace the alternator/battery when all that was needed was tightening the alternator belt.

Maybe some sort of FAQ sticky required for all AV equipment?
  • Options
    Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukguy wrote:
    After the 3rd failded recording on Sunday, and tech support still having no timescale on a fix, I called Sky to cancel my subscription.
    pcbbc wrote:
    Do people with failed recordings also suffer missing disk space?

Go to the last program in the planner. Where is the yellow bar at the top of the screen? is there any dark blue bar after it, before the very slightly (look closely!) lighter blue indicating free space after it? Does a full system reset fix the problem? Remember a FSR will delete all recordings and planner entries!

Ukguy,

Please could you just check if you have missing space? as described by pcbbc.

If you have - a full reset will sort you out - (services - 4 - 0 - 1 - Select) Bear in mind it will wipe all your recordings and personal planner entries.

Either way - I and others would be interested to know.

Roger
  • Options
    ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do i know if my box is V1 or v2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reefman wrote:
    how do i know if my box is V1 or v2?

Have a look in the FAQ on plusworld

Roger
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one FAILED recording tonight The Simpsons at 19:30 on Sky One Reason: Unknown Reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have the Panasonic Sky+ box and it has had a few cocked up recordings

Luckily it was the missus taping MURDER SHE WROTE in the afternoons

Am so so so so gutted the only part recorded, so gutted.

NOT!

She is though!!!!
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,693
    Forum Member
    > I have the Panasonic Sky+ box

Panasonic? Shurley shome mishtake?

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    damoncdamonc Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    When I rang to cancel Sky after initial problems with Pace V2 which I believe to this date was broke by the upgrade July 2004. I then had Amstrad box but then I got the ITV clock bug.

When I rang to cancel I explained why I was cancelling and they didn't even know that Amstrad Sky+ boxes existed and didn't know of the problems I had experienced.

I now have my Fusion FVRT150 box which doesn't cost me any monthly fee and at least Fusion have admitted a software bug with the remote operation which they are working on. Sky always deny any problems but at least Fusion have the honesty to admit them. This makes me have much more respect to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I don;t think there is any missing space (although i'll check when I get home later).

One thing that has occured to me that Sunday was the worst day for it that i've had in a long time, and many people that have posted to this thread had a lot of problems on Sunday - is this just a coincindece or somthing more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukguy wrote:
    Hi,

I don;t think there is any missing space (although i'll check when I get home later).

One thing that has occured to me that Sunday was the worst day for it that i've had in a long time, and many people that have posted to this thread had a lot of problems on Sunday - is this just a coincindece or somthing more?

Problems wth failed recordings seem to have always been related to corrupt disk space or dying hard drives. To link it to something that was date driven on the box or was actually in the signal being transmitted by Sky on the day - or perhaps was a change to the way the data ws held in the EPG - would be new. Doesn't mean that it isn't possible - the problem we have is that we really don't know what causes failed recordings. Only Sky know that.

The nearest we have got so far - is lost space and thereby corrupt hard disks. Hence the query.

Roger
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I did a FSR a month or so ago because of failed recordings. I had about 50% failure! Hhad my first 'failed' last week since the FSR and it has behanved perfectly since... not holding my breath though. Speaking to a few mates I am the onlt one who gets any 'failed' recordings and some use the box extensively (much more than I do). I think I have a V2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killer App wrote:
    I did a FSR a month or so ago because of failed recordings. I had about 50% failure! Hhad my first 'failed' last week since the FSR and it has behanved perfectly since... not holding my breath though. Speaking to a few mates I am the onlt one who gets any 'failed' recordings and some use the box extensively (much more than I do). I think I have a V2.

If you have tried Full System reset and are still getting failed recordings - within a short period ofthe FSR - then it may well be the HD. If you are inside warranty it might be worth thinkig about getting Sky to replace the box. If it were to die completly - outside of warranty - then it would set you back £65.

Just a thought.

Roger