Options

BBC Streams

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
As I'm sure a lot of you already know, the BBC has been running multicast trials at http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/

Previously, the unicast streams have not been working, but they appear to work all the time now. You get a much higher bit rate for the radio stations than the normal streams.

I've also noticed that if you goto http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/rams/uni/ you can see a list of all the unicast streams, including:

BBC1: http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/rams/uni/bbc1.ram
BBC2: http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/rams/uni/bbc2.ram
BBC4: http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/rams/uni/video16.ram

Most of the other streams don't seem to work.

Do you think the BBC may be planning to stream all their channels over the internet? This seems to work on NTL and Pipex. Perhaps it's just some form of testing.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Yea, im using Demon Broadband 512k and its really good quality, much better than the news\sport\weather thingy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your first link has a "why are we doing this" link on it. I think that's all the info you're going to get. Anyway, it works well on Metronet BB.
  • Options
    Clacton CrewClacton Crew Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow thats a well good picture. one of the best i have ever seen over the net.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    wow thats a well good picture. one of the best i have ever seen over the net.

it could be because there are only 4 of us watching them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention that if you've got realplayer 10.5 with perfectplay, you can pause the stream and come back to it later, which is nice. I've been pausing the snooker quite a lot.
  • Options
    Clacton CrewClacton Crew Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish more US tv channels did this. the ones on wwitv are not all that great.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    cracking quality stream on BYBB 1mb
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Woo liking the radio quality, don't have DAB or freeview at my parents so means I can listen to 6music in decent quality!
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,208
    Forum Member
    Indeed, the sound quality of the radio is superb compared to what they normally have. I hope it says like this. :)

The video quality is also superb, but it's a shame it keeps on breaking up for me - I have a Pipex 512kb connection. Also, if only they streamed in full PAL resolution. ;)
  • Options
    SpearmanSpearman Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Wow, 6Music on a 132kbps stream - thank you!!

And BBC 1, 2, 4 are all coming through at a whopping 366kbps!

Thank you OP - that's GREAT! :D
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I hope this goes official, it'd be great to be able to stream the BBC Channels abroad, for instance in Australia or the USA where it's impossible to receive them on satellite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It certainly would be super! :)

Surely there's nothing legally stopping them streams - perhaps programming rights? I don't know. But anyway, if this does go official, then I'd like to see other major broadcasters streaming - what would be stopping the Americans and the Australians?

The problem is (and it works both ways) - who's going to watch Sky One when they can watch whatever programme months earlier?

It's an interesting subject. Certainly nothing stopping BBC One, Two, News 24 etc. being streamed, though. :D
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The main problem could be with rights issues for non-BBC owned shows. That is an issue which needs resolving more generally if streaming is to become truly a main broadcasting route.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you want to record any streams (could be quite handy for quickly, at the touch of a button, recording News 24!), I'd suggest downloading NetTransport.

It's fairly easy to use, and seems to be recording those streams easily here. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this goes official, it'd be great to be able to stream the BBC Channels abroad, for instance in Australia or the USA where it's impossible to receive them on satellite.
    You will not be able to view these in Australia, it's just for the uk, the ISP has to be selected or it wont work, thats why like on pIPEX it says that BBC CONTENT AVAILABLE

I love the video, and being able to pause it on ya pc i brilliant

I love it :)

No Breakups or anything Pipex 512kbps :)

-Richard-
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahh, so they've got assigned ISP groups that they'll accept connections from? I see - thankfully NTL is one of those ISPs!
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Yahoo Bradhand 2MB here i can get The BBC 1 strem an d BBC 2 and News 24! very good picture quilty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now at school, and it is a shame we don't have RealPlayer here :( Poo Poo :mad:

-Richard-
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this mean I can get rid of any televisions in my house and I don't have to pay for a TV licence? I don't really watch the commercial channels anyway. BBC4 has most of the interesting stuff, but it would be nice to have BBC3 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this mean I can get rid of any televisions in my house and I don't have to pay for a TV licence? I don't really watch the commercial channels anyway. BBC4 has most of the interesting stuff, but it would be nice to have BBC3 as well.
    Have a look through the other channels (the ones with silly names, etc.), it might just be there. :)

I think, however, to watch these streams legally, you really need a TV licence. :)

The TV licence isn't all bad, you know!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shame its real media though, i hate their players
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Realmedia i think therer players are cool!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    monkey75 wrote:
    shame its real media though, i hate their players
    They're not too bad. At least the software doesn't kill systems anymore! :eek: :D

I'm looking for a nice new skin, though - it's a bit bulky to leave playing in the corner of the screen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    BBC should provide both RealMedia and Windows Media versions of the streams like they do with most of their radio stations.
  • Options
    James HarlandJames Harland Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working perfectly on my work connection - Hi-Velocity 1MB :)