Options

Freeview PVR - Sagem PVR6240T (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
Forum Member
Has anyone else come across details of a PVR from Sagem? I was talking to the manager at my local Hughes (electrical chain in East Anglia) and he mentioned they were expecting a PVR from Sagem, but no further details.

The only thing I could find about it on the web was here, which you can access from the sagem.com site, but not the UK Sagem site.

Does anybody know any more? Sagem seem to have a good reputation for STBs.

Comments

• Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your link apears to point to a satellite PVR.

I've had a look at the site and the France link apears to go to two terestrial PVRs

66160T

and

6280T

There could be similar ones coming to the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Saw this one in an Argos supplement, but I think the picture isn't the correct one. I tried to find out more about it on the web without any luck. Argos doesn't give much detail, but does say it will record 40 hours and is twin tuner. Even Sagem's website does have it on, but does list another model, the PVR5012T (picture here). Maybe the 6240T is a clone of something else? Anyone have some more info? TIA :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argos wrote:
    Real time tape counter.
    Sounds cutting-edge. :rolleyes: :D Still, if it works, £130 seems like a bargain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing special i admit, but then again thats what you get for the money. It doesn't do anything more or less than say the thomson, fusion box's and they had terrible problems to start with!!

I have had a Sagem ITD602, there first box, for about 2 years and apart from it rebooting itself sometimes, not uncommon with most boxes, it is still the one of the fastest boxes on the market.

The processor (IBM) is the same as the Topfield box I have. I would think that is what the sagem has in it as that is what all their other boxes have!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Found the PVR 6280T on the french site, go here http://www.sagem.com/en/index.html then go to products, digital stb, france, PVR 6280T, Agos are selling a 40gb version, last two numbers must me HD size! Also picture looks the same as Argos website, so its probably right!
  • Options
    larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rsocon wrote:
    Found the PVR 6280T on the french site, go here http://www.sagem.com/en/index.html then go to products, digital stb, france, PVR 6280T, Agos are selling a 40gb version, last two numbers must me HD size! Also picture looks the same as Argos website, so its probably right!
    What's with all the excitment ! ;-) I know I'm bad for exclamation marks, but from reading this I got the impression you were really excited about this!!!!!!!!!!

Matt (!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    For anyone with a smattering of schoolboy French, manual here:

http://www.sagem.com/support/site/livret/PVR_6280T_66160T_EdA.pdf

Interesting that the French remote has buttons such as "Guide", "photo", "menu", "back", "exit" - is this something like "le picnic" ??

That 6280T has slots for SmartMedia/CompactFlash cards from digital camera to show a gallery of photos - the Argos site for the UK one makes no mention of this so maybe 6280T is more different than it first appears?

Cliff
  • Options
    W99W99 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    It says in the PDF that the photo function is only available on the PVR6600T, so maybe that's why?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    W99 wrote:
    It says in the PDF that the photo function is only available on the PVR6600T, so maybe that's why?
    Ah ha! Clearly your schoolboy French is better than mine

Cliff
    (who enjoyed the pictures at least :p )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere near me, but is in Northampton (random choice).

Almost seems worth a try at this price!
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this turns out to be reliable and quiet I might pick one up for the bedroom. Compared to the Humax PVR-8000T at £120 (single tuner), this is somewhat of a bargain. 7-day EPG presumably means it's not 4TV (a good thing IMO).

Not in stock for home-delivery or any store near me, I assume Argos haven't yet taken their first shipment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in stock at my local store. Hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's in stock near me for the weekend i think I'll pick one up and see how it performs. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can find a reason to take it back. I've had a look through the French manual, and it looks reasonably promising. The one with the card slots also has a USB connection, but it seems to be only for photos.

EDIT - I've had a better look at the French manual, and the only issues I can see - Guide seems to only show one channel at a time (ala Panasonic); Photo button is on both remotes, despite only fuctioning in one; remote does not appear to control TV volume (in fairness an issue with all current twin tuning PVRs).

THe manual refers to Péritel a lot - any ideas what this is? Seems to be some sort of a trademark as it always has a capital, and Babelfish won't help.
  • Options
    W99W99 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Péritel is French for 'scart'.

Now you know :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    W99 wrote:
    Péritel is French for 'scart'.

Now you know :)

It all fits into place now :)

Cheers
  • Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    just noticed you can only schedule 6 recordings (on the french model) seems very small
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those interested, you might want to check locally again for stock. Was out of stock in my Locale when I saw this thread late yesterday, yet today it is in stock.
  • Options
    StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very interested in how this PVR behaves, but until someone bites the bullet and buys one I was wondering if anyone had any history with Sagem boxes.

Issues such as build quality (hardware and software), bugs in previous models, software updates, useability, EPG version etc.....

I know this wont really relate to the new PVR, but might give some idea of the company and its products to those of us with no experience.

Thanks if anyone has any opinions (or buys one and lets us know how it goes!)

Stu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    **Stop Press**

Cannot record 2 channels simultaneously.

Edit

Further info:

This really is one quirky recorder.

Automatic padding of 5mins before and 15!mins after are applied to timers, therefore it is impossible to set up consecutive recordings.........even if you edit the timers.
    ie 1200:1230, then 1230:1300
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Are you sure? I know my french isn't good but it if you set up recording from the menu rather than the EPG it doesn't say it applies the padding. It only says this in the section on recording from EPG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you set timers up using the EPG the padding as described above is applied, making it pretty useless in my opinion.

Manual recordings have to be seperated by at least 1 min.

You'll have to bear with me as I am still finding out how this works.

However for you all to note

1. The box is marked PVR 6200T (not 6240T as described in argos).

2. There are no photo card slots on UK model, or usb connectivity.

3. The manual :( is a piece of paper folded many times., and is to cover other models ie over half the pages are dedicated to photo editing etc, and connecting a computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Barry,

Does this mean have got one? (based on you knowing what the manual looks like on paper)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry, perhaps I should have made that clear. Picked one up this am from local Argos store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just a quick update here. It says, in the english version, of the manual that you can assign previous and subsequent recordings via the epg but does not specify whether this applies to channel changes. There are other versions due out - there is a 160gb version on the way which has USB and smart card reader built in. You can record one channel and view another recording or another channel but you can't record two channels at the same time. It's quirky but then it's made in France!