Really bad product placement in 24 season 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This may contain mild spoilers for (I guess) season 4. The linked clip doesn't really give anything away...

Having to use Cisco equipment on a daily basis, I noticed this little clip on their website. I've not seen season 4 yet, but is this actual footage from the show? It's like a Cisco advert shoved right into the episode!

http://www.cisco.com/now/24/index.html

"Did it do any damage?"

"No, the cisco system is self defending."

Has this been on Sky One yet? I'm not sure what the rules are for product placement in tv shows, but this looks a bit over the top...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that episode went out two days ago in the US and yes, blatant product placement, but they have also always plugged Ford blatantly its the Amercan Way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Harman wrote:
    No, that episode went out two days ago in the US and yes, blatant product placement, but they have also always plugged Ford blatantly its the Amercan Way!

Not to mention DELL. Every computer and server they use is a standard DELL model, even the cool servers with flip-out screens and keyboards.

And the PDA's they use (even the bad guys) are Dell Axims.

It's the same in Alias and all the CSI series.
  • arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they all use motorola phones as well?
  • thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it in Sex and the City when Channel 4 would have to pixellate all the blatant advertising. They never seemed to mind all the plugs for Tivo though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it in Sex and the City when Channel 4 would have to pixellate all the blatant advertising. They never seemed to mind all the plugs for Tivo though.

Hehe.. By that time TiVo was no longer available in the UK. Shame really, I'm sure the TiVo people could have capitalised on the placement and directed marketing towards those viewers.

TiVo was especially crap at marketing in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    TiVo was especially crap at marketing in the UK.

Of course, this had nothing to do with the fact that "BSkyB has exclusive advertising, marketing and distribution rights for TiVo in the UK." ( http://www.tivo.co.uk/5.3.asp )

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,309
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it in Sex and the City when Channel 4 would have to pixellate all the blatant advertising.

So how come we could always see the Apple logo every time Carrie used her laptop? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda of a no win situation.
    SKY subscribers were the obvious market for TIVO but really expensive to advertise to without direct marketing which I suspect is why they did a deal with SKY. Of course did they know at the time that SKY were chatting to NDS about aquiring the XTV hardware and launching their own solution, perhaps not:)

TIVO didn't help themselves by ignoring a direct marketing tie up with NTL and TW though and even when they did a deal with NTL the platform was dead and they were just dumping stock.