Options

Who's the best female artist at the moment?

motor mouthmotor mouth Posts: 4,571
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Kylie Minogue?
Hasn't had a decent song since In Your Eyes IMO.

Madonna?
Where is she?

Dido?
Ditto.. :D

Natalie Imbruglia?
3 stunning albums under her belt, recently had her first number 1 album. Certainly isn't chucking out the songs, but that's a good thing you can get sick if someone is bombarding you.

Natasha Bedingfield?
Started off shaky like a Billie Piper rip-off but has released some pretty decent singles lately.

Mariah Carey?
Is returning to chart success but isn't a patch on what she once was.

Melanie C?
New album is better than the last but could never top Northern Star. Hasn't had much chart success but is that a sign that her music isn't any good? I don't think so.

Who else is there?
What's everyone elses opinions?

Comments

• Options
    auron87auron87 Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwen Stefani in my opinion. She is rather unique!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auron87 wrote:
    Gwen Stefani in my opinion. She is rather unique!

I'll second that! I've dug out my old No Doubt CDs this week and still think they're great. And as a woman myself, I find Gwen very attractive. :)
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I have to ask - what is a Hollaback Girl? :confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're talking popular artists that actually get in the charts then I'll go for Joss Stone....otherwise I'll go for PJ Harvey.....but there are loads of really good (but not so popular ;)) female singer/songwriters around......:).
  • Options
    JJ2005JJ2005 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    pelicano wrote:
    Sorry but I have to ask - what is a Hollaback Girl? :confused:
    A girl who lets a man trample all over her. A doormat.

I only know because I looked it up myself a few days ago. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of the newcomers, Lucie Silvas stands out for me. :)
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monica- Her last album released 'After the storm' was great. Beats Beyonce by a mile.

Also Amerie, she's been in the buisness for a while, shame it took '1 Thing' for people to start noticing her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JJ2005 wrote:
    A girl who lets a man trample all over her. A doormat.

I only know because I looked it up myself a few days ago. :D

Cheers JJ2005! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If we're talking fairly new/young female artists, I'd go for Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch and Lucie Silvas. But more established favourites for me are Tori Amos and Alanis Morissette.
  • Options
    SpearmanSpearman Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Hollaback Girl isn't as good as the other song (I can't remember the name of it).

At the end of the day, there's not a huge range of good female singers at the moment - I'll go with KT Tunstall.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Kelly Clarkson ;)
  • Options
    SpearmanSpearman Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Kelly Clarkson ;)
    I agree with that (not my type of thing, usually).

And, er, yes please. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Gwen Stefani and Anastacia IMO.

Yes, I have eclectic tastes! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gwen Stefani and Anastacia IMO.

Yes, I have eclectic tastes! :)
    That is not eclectic.

Eclectic means choosing from widely diverse sources.

If you had said that you liked Gwen Stefani, Bulgarian Male Voice Chanting and Peruvian Nose Flute ensembles, then you could maybe claim to have eclectic tastes. :D
  • Options
    markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson by far for me:)
  • Options
    Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson. Now shes fitting into her own image, and not a perfect image record companies usually make of these talent show winners, shes great. Her album is fantastic.
  • Options
    McCririckMcCririck Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There arent any really. I cant stand Kylie, Madonna is a money **** who's well past her shag-by date, Gwen Stefani seems to have altered her musical taste completely from her ska days which indicates to me she's in it for the money now.

Most of my music collection is male artists, I really am not impressed with the majority of female efforts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    In this order, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani and Lucie Silvas are the best right now. I'm totally in love with Kelly's new album in particular, there isn't a bad song on there.
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah McLachlan is the most under- rated, well over here at least, and definetley one of the best. It`s hard to believe that cr*p likeRachel Stevens can be `successful` whilst an artist like S M is still undervalued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh...what a (mostly) depressing thread. If people looked past the charts they would find plenty of creative, talented female musicians....and not just the same three or four that make it on to TV. To say there's none is b*ll*cks.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a female, i've never understood why a woman would want to listen to a female sing.Not when you can listen to the lovely deep voice of a man.Women can't sing,they just make a noise.Maybe there are one or two exeptions to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a female, i've never understood why a woman would want to listen to a female sing.Not when you can listen to the lovely deep voice of a man.Women can't sing,they just make a noise.Maybe there are one or two exeptions to this.

There are plenty of women who like women singers - it's not a sexual thing after all! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    JJ2005 wrote:
    That is not eclectic.

Eclectic means choosing from widely diverse sources.

If you had said that you liked Gwen Stefani, Bulgarian Male Voice Chanting and Peruvian Nose Flute ensembles, then you could maybe claim to have eclectic tastes. :D

Yes I do know what it means thank you.

I like lots of different types of music (not just the ones mentioned) and I do have eclectic tastes - I should know!

You say it as if by 'claiming' to have eclectic tastes I'm bragging or something - that is not the case.

In my opinion Gwen and Anastacia are quite different, but that is besides the point. I was just making a comment on my opinion of my musical tastes.
  • Options
    Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina aguilera, even though she aint been around as much recently, but when her new album gets released nearer the end of the year, then i think shell be back on top form, id also have to say Kelly Clarkson, becasue i like since u been gone :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote:
    There are plenty of women who like women singers - it's not a sexual thing after all! :confused:

I didn't mean or say that it was.I just don't enjoy listening to the female singing voice.